Post Likes

Is it okay to place a Air Filter Vent right over the air conditioner in the wall

I just had a whole new ac and heating system put in my apartment ceiling, after the heat pump stopped putting out cold air, but I noticed the guy put all of the new equipment right behind and up against the Air filter Vent where the filter is kept. It's so bad that the corner of the air vent cage does not fit against the ceiling now, it hangs off of the ceiling in one corner. I'm thinking because of the equipment pushing against it. And there used to be a space behind the Air filter so the air flowed freely behind it. I know nothing about hvac systems or putting them in, but common sense I would think you would want the space behind the filter to be free of space and not completely blocked with all of the hvac equipment so that the air flows freely behind it into the vents. Does this matter and how important is it? Will my air be less healthy or cost me more because of the block?

This is all of the equipment that sits right behind the Air filter vent now and right up against it.

image.ibb.co/iMVrP7/wp_ss_20180416_0002.png

Post Likes
    Can't make much out of the pic. Might want to take a few more at different distances from the unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Here's 2 better pictures I took with the vent open, showing what's behind it.

m.imgur.com/a/ZYDmK

m.imgur.com/a/BhttD

The air passing through the vent is extremely loud now too. When it was really quiet before. It's at least an extremely loud 70 or 80 decibels. I know it has to do with the louder blower they put in, on top of all of that equipment sitting behind the open vent now. Instead of it sitting behind the plaster in the ceiling like the old blower sat.

This part of the ceiling that the vent sits in is just light removable plaster that you can just lift up and move. If I move the vent over one space would it be okay to cover the equipment with the plaster instead? So I have a ceiling right there instead of the air vent. I think that's what they should've done anyway. That would get rid a lot of the noise, and the vent would then be in front of an empty space. Or does it matter where the vent sits from the blower and all of that equiptment? I want to move it but I don't know anything about hvac and want to make sure I don't do something that could damage the system. But it looks like to me the tech did the wrong thing. Does it matter where they put the vent? And can I move it one space over from the equipment?

Post Likes
    It's the return vent that holds the filter that I'm talking about

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Can't make much out of the pic. Might want to take a few more at different distances from the unit.
    Here's 2 better pictures I took with the vent open, showing what's behind it.

m.imgur.com/a/ZYDmK

m.imgur.com/a/BhttD

Post Likes
    Anybody??

Does anybody know if this is normal or not?

Post Likes
    I think my biggest concern is whether having an air filter in a drop ceiling will actually keep dirt out of the unit. Air will be pulled through any and all of the gaps in the ceiling without being filtered.
    In my opinion the return should be ducted, but I think that the unit you have is not designed for a return duct.
    If you want to relocate the filter grille, then go ahead.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."