+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV Resistant Pipe Insulation (EPDM Pipe Insulation). How effective is it?

Post Likes

UV Resistant Pipe Insulation (EPDM Pipe Insulation). How effective is it?

They are using EPDM Pipe Insulation a lot in Florida (at least in Daytona and Flagler Beach) because it is required for pipe insulation exposed to sunlight there. Does anyone know how effective it is? It's new at least new to me. Thanks in advance. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Side note here on EPDM pipe insulation. It is rubber based elastomeric, flexible, lightweight, UV resistant and requires no outdoor weather protection.

It requires no vapor barrier, paintable and can be withstand temperatures between -297 to 300 F. So it has great properties and I just want to know how well it stands up to UV. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    EPDM is what many roofs are made of. I would not be at all concerned about UV resistance.

Post Likes
    EPDM for outdoor use has the chemical inhibitor mixed into the rubber itself. Even if the outer surface is degraded, there's new inhibited layer below that. as stated above, EPDM has been used for decades on roofing applications.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Sounds like the stuff will hold up. We're using EZ-Pull line sets a lot in Seattle and the material holds up a lot better in the sun compared to the old black rubberized insulation.

Post Likes
    I'm in south Florida and we have to paint the suction line insulation with that expensive UV resistant paint, otherwise it won't pass inspection.

Does anybody know if this EDPM insulation renders the painting requirement unnecessary?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I'm in south Florida and we have to paint the suction line insulation with that expensive UV resistant paint, otherwise it won't pass inspection.

Does anybody know if this EDPM insulation renders the painting requirement unnecessary?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Well I talked to the HVAC contractors installing a new 2 ton systems on my sisters condo at Flagler Beach a couple weeks ago. They are required to use insulation with the UV label on it that is the EDPM insulation and they don't have to paint it.

She has a flat roof 2 blocks from the ocean and back yard is bordered by the Intercostal Waterway and just now finished all the repairs from the hurricane Irma which hit back last September. Anyhow they claimed it could handle the sunlight and they don't paint it.

Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Baker Distributing says they will be carrying it soon here in GA. They said it's code already in Florida so be looking out for it. Thank you very much

Sen. Barry Goldwater

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in