Post Likes

Rebuilding Steam Valve

I have a building running low pressure steam for heat, piping is original construction and roughly 100 years old. There are a handful of original steam gate valves that control the flow through specific wings of their building which are leaking by in the closed position so entire wings are overheating in the shoulder season where there is no call for heat. We pulled them apart and can confirm they do go to 100% closed but there is a valve seat gasket that I'm guessing by the looks of it is just an old leather that has failed. Due to the age of the valve the manufacturer has no information on it and no replacement components exist. Due to the size of the valve and cost to replace the valve and actuator I'm trying to find some gasket material I can cut out to replace the old leather valve seat to stop the blow by. All I have been able to find so far has been steam rated flange gasket material or graphite packing for the valve stems.
    The guys I have talked to say they have always just replaced the whole valve assembly.

Anyone here ever done a repair like this before? if so what type of gasket material did you use?

Post Likes
    why not use what they originally used? leather...

Post Likes
    Not opposed to just using a new leather, maybe it is just a bad assumption on my part that there is a specific treated or thickness of leather I need for this application. The supply houses looked at me cock-eyed when I asked if they had gasket material to replace old leathers so that kind of plays into it

Post Likes
    Take out the old stuff, then take it to an auto parts store. Supply houses dont know jack about gaskets. You might be able to source a silicone sheet gasket that would work very well, too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotatoChip View Post
    I have a building running low pressure steam for heat, piping is original construction and roughly 100 years old. There are a handful of original steam gate valves that control the flow through specific wings of their building which are leaking by in the closed position so entire wings are overheating in the shoulder season where there is no call for heat. We pulled them apart and can confirm they do go to 100% closed but there is a valve seat gasket that I'm guessing by the looks of it is just an old leather that has failed. Due to the age of the valve the manufacturer has no information on it and no replacement components exist. Due to the size of the valve and cost to replace the valve and actuator I'm trying to find some gasket material I can cut out to replace the old leather valve seat to stop the blow by. All I have been able to find so far has been steam rated flange gasket material or graphite packing for the valve stems.
    The guys I have talked to say they have always just replaced the whole valve assembly.

Anyone here ever done a repair like this before? if so what type of gasket material did you use?
    Can you post some pics when you get a chance? Thx.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Only pictures I have are of the outside of the valve which don't do any good, just says "35 4 CRD 125" so I guess it means 4 inch Crane 125psi. I am leaning towards HVAC_Marc's recommendation of using the silicone gasket sheet. Pressure and temperature wise that looks like it will do what I need it to

Post Likes
    dis regard re read post
    Last edited by Tommytools; 04-11-2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: re read post

Post Likes
    what s the pipe size

Post Likes
    4 inch. Ended up getting the silicone gasket material and replaced the leather on the worst one, did the trick. Took a different one apart which wasn’t as bad, resurfaced the existing leather. Last one is a barber Colman which has more of a ceramic gasket material which we left alone for now until I can find some type of ceramic gasket replacement. I’ll try to post pics of everything later

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    never had a lot of luck rebuilding 100 year old valves. 4" shouldn't be to expensive just use spacer rings to make up the difference in length between old and ne w and use a gas ax for the bolts.

Post Likes
    New valve needs a new actuator also due to age, the combo in this size and actuator is over 5k each. If we replace I planned on just adding to the pipe to make up the difference in size, ends up a couple days work after rigging to remove, welding, installing, testing etc.