+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to get HVAC fan motor rebuilt?

Post Likes

Where to get HVAC fan motor rebuilt?

Recently pulled a small GE three speed fan motor, 277 volts 1/8 HP, out of a Trane VAV box at the building I maintain. Obvious that the bearings are shot as it is almost impossible to turn by hand. Windings check good with an ohm meter. Capacitor checked at about 3uf; supposed to be a 5uf. New cap obviously didn't help considering how stiffly it turns. Looked for an exact replacement but really haven't found anything that seems to mount up the same, so rebuilding it seems to be the way to go.

Last year we had our regular service place quote an absolutely astronomical cost for replacement of a different VAV that also had a failed fan. I pulled that one and sent it off to Eutron Electric in California; they rebuilt it at a reasonable cost and sent it back. It was backwards in the mounting cage (in other words, the curved mounting ears were facing the wrong way). I had to turn the motor around, not really an easy task, but after that it ran perfectly and quietly and now a large open office is properly ventilated.

Previous to that, I sent Eurton two obsolete Broan 366 LoSone fan motors for rebuilding. I looked and looked and these were absolutely not available. Eurton assured me that they could rebuild them and they did.

However, the original rebuilds on both lasted only three months; at that point they both failed. One got super noisy as the shaft got progressively more wobbly and the other one just stopped turning. Neither motor was "frozen" but both had excessive play in the shafts indicating bad bearings.

Eurton did rebuild them under warranty; we're starting month #3 on the re-rebuild now so I'm hoping that they will last. I have adjusted the thermostats in these rooms (electrical transformer rooms) to allow them to occasionally shut down and cool down without the room getting excessively hot.

Since I've had OK but not great service from Eurton, is there any other motor rebuilding place that I should try out? Eurton quoted me a reasonable price for rebuilding this one and we've got a relationship with them but I'm happy to hear recommendations from others.

Thanks-

Val

Post Likes
    Guessing these are double shaft motors? The rebuilt place probably only cleans up the internals with air and replaces the bearings? If so why can't you buy generic bearings and replace yourself as bearings usually have markings on them to designate what sizes they are ......if that is the case.

Post Likes
    The exhaust fan motors were double shaft and I think that one needed re-winding in addition to bearings on both. The HVAC fan needed re-winding and bearings. I could just try a bearing DIY but I don't mind sending it out. I'm already saving the company money by doing this. Also, our regular service company just wants to replace things, not fix them so an R and R with a new VAV for a small kitchen just isn't going to happen. I did find a spare, slightly used motor and fan cage in the building (exact same thing, don't know where it came from) and put that in. It needed to be fixed since the kitchen was getting warm and quite frankly, a bit smelly with no airflow into it.

Post Likes
    OEM motors are expensive and 277volt are oddballs that's why they are so costly. Most moter shops I've dealt with don't have a good track record with small motors. Company's charging what they do can't take a chance not putting in a factory motor. If you as a mantaince man wants to screw around trying to find a another motor knock yourself out a company can't spend the time and charge you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in