Post Likes

Humidity Control with 16 SEER AS Pckg Unit Model - 4YCZ6036 from 2009

Hi There Pros! Wondering if it's possible to control humidity with an AS 16 SEER 3 tonne unit (model - 4YCZ6036) from 2009. What I mean is through dropping the fan speed and/or some combination of invoking a single stage vs 2 stages (in other words, not just by turning the temperature lower, but by hooking up a humidity sensing t-stat that works in conjunction with the HVAC system in the summer). It's a 2 stage unit that I had installed in 2009. I don't know if it has a variable speed blower or if this unit can "do" that sort of thing (similiar to Comfort-R from AS on their new multi-stage and variable stage compressors). Is there a specific model thermostat that I'd need to do this and do I need to make sure that it's compliant with the model # referenced above. Any help/advice appreciated and thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    I do not know the answer to your question. But I understand the need to slow the air flow to the point that you remove enough moisture to maintain your desired indoor dew.
    If you get the second speed working, same is true.
    I also know that as the sensible cooling load declines to near zero and the outdoor dew point remains high, you will need supplemental dehumidification to maintain low %RH in you home.
    This typically 2-4 lbs. of moisture removal from adequate fresh air infiltration/ventilation and from the occpants.
    Lets hope we someone that provide the info you need. We have real depth here.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    That unit does have the BK terminal which allows a stat to send a dehumidify signal to slow the blower to 80% of set cooling speed if humidity is above setpoint. Of course as Teddy says, he's our premier humidity control expert, features like that only work with a need for cooling and in mild weather or overnight, it won't help much.

4. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    BaldLoonie,

Thanks for the reply. Location is in Houston, TX, so dehumidifying in cooling months is what I'm after (and we have many cooling months). Very much appreciate your response and guidance. I suppose that I would need a specific type of thermostat that monitors humidity and then has the optional "BK" terminal, correct? I recently had my upstairs replaced and they installed an American Standard 824 thermostat (that sinks up with the Gold 80v variable speed furnace/blower). Any recommendations on a good thermostat for the package unit that would be capable of controlling the humidity?

Post Likes
    The 824 would be good on the packaged unit too.