Post Likes

vogt ice , tech supprt

Lots of trouble with a 10 ton tube ice machine . 30 h/p r22. Copeland 6D compressor. recent problem the machine overran froze up , flooded back dumped the oil in the evap . Ran with no oil as the sentronic failed to stop the compressor. The compressor noise alerted staff ... Now compressor runs with fresh oil ,will make ice , but 2 things , 1 . I am loosing oil . 2. the low side float stays closed . ie calling for refrigerant , and does not open and close as normal . refrigerant charge is good all 500 lb of r22 . Any clues for me .

Post Likes
    If you pump down the compressor does it hold?

What do you mean it is now loosing oil? As in pumping it out at an accelerated rate?
    Oil separator???

How much oil came back from the evaporator?

If your float is stuck....that is obviously a problem. It won't move at all?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Probably not getting a good defrost and evap is getting oil logged.

Servicing a Vogt requires reading the manual and understanding the operation. They can be finicky to tune in but make a lot of ice when working right.

This is the tech guy at Vogt: bstackhouse@vogtice.com but have all your information ready when you contact him.

Post Likes
    My limited experience from many years ago were issues with seals leaking and short cycling from weak contactors.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    yes the compressor will pump down and hold pressure. evaporator was at ambient . the issue Is OIL in the evaporator, Vogt say this oil may be hindering correct operation of the refrigerant float . And it can be difficult and time consuming to recover oil from the evaporator .
    Vogt make these machines and as good as they are , oil in the evap is a flaw when the system goes wrong.
    I am only a Tech but I would put a valve at the evap low point to help remove oil trapped there .

7. Likes pecmsg liked this post
    Post Likes
    Whenever my Vogt is not happy, it gets oil logged. Last time I had to replace a sticking defrost solenoid.... As I said, oil is returned during a healthy defrost.