+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P51-870 Titan digital manifold

Post Likes

P51-870 Titan digital manifold

Does anyone use the P51-870 digital manifold's?
    If so can you let me know what your thoughts are, the pro's and con's.

I have the Testo 570-2, got it a couple of years ago, but it looks like its given up the will to live.
    I was using it at the weekend and it got wet on the job, and hasn't been the same since. Can't get it to zero out.

So thinking of investing in the Yellow Jacket P51-870.
    I know I can then also get the pipe clamps for the superheats and sub-cooling temps, but can you get the Velcro clamps to wrap around bigger pipes?

Post Likes
    I dont think anyone will have em in stock until end of april? If thats not the case, let me know, i want to grab a set myself.

Post Likes
    Johnstone has em in stock, ABCO wont be stocking them from what I heard, special order only.

Post Likes
    Might want to check how they ran that hanging hook through the top of the unit. Lot of old JB units bit the dust from that hole and hook through the top.

Post Likes
    I just bought the P51-870 myself yesterday. I had sold a P51-860 to one of our customers Thursday. ( I work at a supply house ) We sell another very popular digital manifold.

The customer that bought the P51-860 has bought over 4 of the other brand in the past five years as he has had many different kinds of problems with them. He just wanted a basic digital manifold to check superheat and subcooling with. He is not a computer/smartphone person, so the bluetooth is not important to him. I showed him my AK900 before they were discontinued, now he wishes he would have got one.

Anyway, on both my 870 and his 860, the hook looks like it goes down to the Titan manifold, just passing through the case. (without taking it apart, as it would void the warranty) The housing seems like a similar grade of polymer, like the AK900.

Now I also have the Yellow Jacket system analyzer. This new one is totally different from that one, as this one has a rechargeable lithium ion battery pack, and not the wad of AA batteries. This one also uses thermistor clamps, instead of Type K thermocouples.

The really exciting thing I like, it uses 1/8" stereo plugs for the clamps and the external micron gauge. I believe they power the micron gauge with the third conductor. I tried my Cooper thermistors in the extension cords it comes with, as the Cooper plug bottoms out in the hole, and they work!

The only thing I wish they could change is the micro USB connector to charge it. While it is convenient, the internal receptacle appears to be surface mounted to the board, and if it is, I would treat it as fragile. The older system analyzer used the bigger USB-B receptacle, that I believe was through hole mount.

So far, my customer is pleased with his, as I am mine as well.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    1 week into these, used them twice and they leak. yellow jacket won't send me a replacement. Seriously $500... never buying YJ products again.

Post Likes
    The manifold or inside the gauge?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingelement View Post
    1 week into these, used them twice and they leak. yellow jacket won't send me a replacement. Seriously $500... never buying YJ products again.
    Post on here in the YJ forum, very responsive, can you return it at the supply shop you bought it at? at the very lleast your covered under the YJ warranty for a year.

Post Likes
    What are the temp clamps like? I wish i had a good digital gauge. I dont like the appions and sure as hell am not going with testo or fp. And i dont want the wireless transducer probes like are getting popular. Its hard enough to put hoses on half the systems i work on. Hope someone has a digital gauge for me.

I was in a jam and got a refrigerant scale that is blue tooth but actually does not display weight on the scale... how could a manufacturer call this an improvement. Even though its easy to connect and use on the phone i hate it and it bounces around on my truck since ingot a real set of scales that display weight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The temp clamps are on the smaller side, smaller than the ones on my AK900 and other brands.Mine have a lot of tension, kinda makes me nervous how good the polymer they are made from is. They are a standard thermistor, not thermocouples. They have a strip of aluminum or stainless to transfer heat more evenly to the thermistor. I like the AK900 ones, but I always worry about the thermistor can making good thermal contact with the pipe.

I bought two Cooper Atkins 4005 thermistor pipe clamps for my AK900, as I like the contact better. I modified it to use 2 conductor 3.5 mm, or mono 1/8" audio connectors. I noticed the pipe clamps on the YJs use a three conductor 3.5 mm or stereo 1/8" audio connectors, plus extension cables come included. On the 860, you can get the micron sensor, it plugs into either of the temp inputs, so I am guessing that on evacuation mode, it sends power through the ring, but in t/p mode just uses the tip and sleeve for the thermistors, as it read perfectly using my Cooper clamps on the manifold set. The only thing is, if you plug them directly into the recessed receptacle, the plug will not reach far enough to fully seat, but using the included extension eliminates that.

So, if you don't like the included clamps, at least there is an easy alternative.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver06 View Post
    The temp clamps are on the smaller side, smaller than the ones on my AK900 and other brands.Mine have a lot of tension, kinda makes me nervous how good the polymer they are made from is. They are a standard thermistor, not thermocouples. They have a strip of aluminum or stainless to transfer heat more evenly to the thermistor. I like the AK900 ones, but I always worry about the thermistor can making good thermal contact with the pipe.

I bought two Cooper Atkins 4005 thermistor pipe clamps for my AK900, as I like the contact better. I modified it to use 2 conductor 3.5 mm, or mono 1/8" audio connectors. I noticed the pipe clamps on the YJs use a three conductor 3.5 mm or stereo 1/8" audio connectors, plus extension cables come included. On the 860, you can get the micron sensor, it plugs into either of the temp inputs, so I am guessing that on evacuation mode, it sends power through the ring, but in t/p mode just uses the tip and sleeve for the thermistors, as it read perfectly using my Cooper clamps on the manifold set. The only thing is, if you plug them directly into the recessed receptacle, the plug will not reach far enough to fully seat, but using the included extension eliminates that.

So, if you don't like the included clamps, at least there is an easy alternative.
    Thanks, thats what i wanted to hear and enough to get me to bite the bullet. Are they headphone jack type plugs?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver06 View Post

the polymer is very strong, I have the mantooths with clamps and its way more robust than the fieldpiece clamps.

13. Likes Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is the micro gauge built into the manifold or is it the same probe that comes with the mantooth set ?

Post Likes
    Does anyone know if the 860 displays psi, line temp, sat temp and sh-sc all at the same time?

16. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The optional vacuum sensor with the 860 and the included one with the 870 are not integral with the manifold. The customer that bought the 860 also bought the vacuum sensor. He called me the other day asking how it showed microns. You have to go to the modes and select evacuation.

Yes, both the vacuum gauge and the pipe clamps use the mini 1/8" headphone plugs.

On the 860 in the pressure temp mode, it will always show the high and low pressure at the top, but below, it will either show superheat and subcooling, or you can toggle that to saturation temps for both liquid and vapor, or the measured line temps from the pipe clamps. My 870 will show everything, but I would caution that the color screen will probably eat up more battery life than the 860 which is monochrome dot matrix lcd with backlight. Plus, unless you would use a screen protector on the 870, I could see the touchscreen on it getting dirty/scratched/smudged over time with everyday use. The 860 seems like a good compromise, but it will not show all readings at once like the SMAN does. But I personally believe the housing being smaller on both of these will lead to a little more structurally sound housing compared to the SMAN.

18. Likes Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    Post on here in the YJ forum, very responsive, can you return it at the supply shop you bought it at? at the very lleast your covered under the YJ warranty for a year.
    Issue with gauge or manifold not holding microns. After testing it with different micron gauges, manifold set and hoses, I determined the new set was leaking someplace.

I tried to go through Johnstone where I got them from but they as always were no help. I hate buying tools through them but they were the only local shop that could get them. They said I had to send them in for repair. I told them no thanks. I ended up writing YJ directly and let them know what was going on and they sent a new pair. I should get them in a couple days. The engineer that I was in contact with said he checked and tested this new test personally before shipping them. Hopefully they work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    The manifold or inside the gauge?
    Not sure exactly. Wouldn't hold microns under a vacuum. Thought it was the system at first but I swapped manifolds and used the same micron gauge, no issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingelement View Post
    Issue with gauge or manifold not holding microns. After testing it with different micron gauges, manifold set and hoses, I determined the new set was leaking someplace.

I tried to go through Johnstone where I got them from but they as always were no help. I hate buying tools through them but they were the only local shop that could get them. They said I had to send them in for repair. I told them no thanks. I ended up writing YJ directly and let them know what was going on and they sent a new pair. I should get them in a couple days. The engineer that I was in contact with said he checked and tested this new test personally before shipping them. Hopefully they work.
    I think they will be OK, to be honest though, the last titan 4 port manifold I bought with analog gauges leaked, I'm weary of that particular manifold, I'm going to buy the new ones though. They did bounce around in the back of van a bit but still...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    YJ sent a new replacement and I sent the old one back. Had a chance to test it out. Evacuation works great, holds with no raise. Also got to test out the pressure test feature. Works very well. I installed a new evap coil, pressurized the system and it helped me detect a leak at the U tube on the new coil. If it were analog gauges I may not have seen it until evacuation.

Very pleased with this set. Highly recommend. A co worker has the testos which just quit on him, he's switching to these.

Post Likes
    Does anyone know if you can get bigger clamps for this manifold or temperature sensors on Velcro to wrap around the suctions lines and liquid lines?
    I bought a new set two weeks ago, but I could really do with the wrap around sensors and because YJ use the head-phone jack, I can seem to find any anywhere.

Other than that, very pleased with it, but weary of the battery life. Just need to keep an eye on it and you got to recharge it and you don't want to end up at the job with only 10% battery left.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in