+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I have to do to get into Local 94 NYC?

Post Likes

What do I have to do to get into Local 94 NYC?

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on HVAC Talk, but I am looking for a little advice. For the last couple of years, I've been trying to get picked up by a Local 94 employer, member of NYC Realty Advisory Board, like CBRE, Cushman and Wakefield, or Boston Properties.

I have a UA B book and 18 years in the trade, 16 in a van and the last 2 in house at a large NYC college. I have FDNY Refer ticket, and all other pertinent certificates of fitness, such as fire guard, torch operator, air compressors, standpipe, and sprinklers.

I have never gotten a response from any of the above mentioned employers. They constantly have postings on Indeed, and not even a sniff.

My experience is strictly HVAC and refrigeration. Is this inhibiting me? I mean, my lack of building engineer skills on my CV, such as drywall, carpentry, and lighting?

I always thought that the HVAC skills were the most difficult of building engineer skills to master, and that my vast commercial HVAC experience would put me at the top of the pile.

Maybe the problem is that these jobs are being filled by unemployed 94 members, but I thought at some point, I would at least get a sniff.

Has anyone else had the same experience, or possibly different results with a similar background to mine?

Post Likes
    I know you know the old adage, "it's not what you know, but who you know". With your background/experience, I would say you would be a shoe-in, so no clue as to why the companies you listed are not giving you at least a sniff. Best of luck to ya.

3. Likes SadTruth liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There are hundreds of buildings needing operating Engineers. Get hired and your in the Union.

Local 30 is still taking apprentices.

Post Likes
    Cushman and Wakefield uses local 32bj as their engineers, at least they did in the building I used to be a mechanic in..

A friend of mine is in 94... He knew someone many years back is how he got the job.

Why not shoot for Local 638? I think our benefits are better. Much easier to find a contractor willing to hire you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    Cushman and Wakefield uses local 32bj as their engineers, at least they did in the building I used to be a mechanic in..

A friend of mine is in 94... He knew someone many years back is how he got the job.

Why not shoot for Local 638? I think our benefits are better. Much easier to find a contractor willing to hire you.
    Thanks for advice guys. No more apprenticeships for me.

I am a UA Journeyman for the last 15 years. Pipefitters Local 274 in Jersey. Getting a 638 job is no problem, I just don’t want it. I got out of the truck 2 years ago because it was beating the hell out of my body. I’m done bringing 300 pounds of gas to the roof by myself to charge a rack system at 3 o’clock in the morning.

Local 30 I’ve had some calls and been offered a couple of jobs, but the rotating shifts didn’t work for my childcare situation. I’m still looking though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    Thanks for advice guys. No more apprenticeships for me.

I am a UA Journeyman for the last 15 years. Pipefitters Local 274 in Jersey. Getting a 638 job is no problem, I just don’t want it. I got out of the truck 2 years ago because it was beating the hell out of my body. I’m done bringing 300 pounds of gas to the roof by myself to charge a rack system at 3 o’clock in the morning.

Local 30 I’ve had some calls and been offered a couple of jobs, but the rotating shifts didn’t work for my childcare situation. I’m still looking though.
    Local 94 isnt going to be any different................

New guy gets the worst shift.
    Operating Engineers are a different trade you may need some schooling.
    You need to put your time in and pay your dues like everyone else.

Post Likes
    JLL was looking for mobile engineers...I know a few guys from 638 who got into 94 by getting hired by JLL

Post Likes
    I just turned 60 years old.I have been living and working inAtlanta for 35 years.I grew up in Northern New Jersey.I went to Lincoln Tech In Union New Jersey.Even back in 1982 I was never able to get in the Union.Seems like you have to get lucky, or know the right people.So,I worked non Union.I moved to Atlanta in 1985.Worked for a few different companies,Tried to get in the union here,In Atlanta,Same problem.Never got in.I know guys here in the union, they seem to like it.Eventually I got my Georgia contractors license, and now work for myself.I guess the union was not meant to be,for me.

Post Likes
    take a look t some of these postings for Columbia university's new Manhattanville campus. Not local 94, but some good positions. like pecmsg said, you have to get in and pay your dues. PM me if you have any questions.

Google Columbia university JAC

go to the department drop dawn and select "1215 - FAC MV Operations

Post Likes
    Been in 94 for some time. If I were you I would; 1)go to the union hall and ask to speak to a delegate. And if they give you their contact info keep asking until they get you an interview. 2) keep applying online, improve your resume. 3) if there are any listings that post an address ( or call human resources and get the address to the building) physically deliver your resume. 4) look for new construction buildings, go to the construction site, ask for the Chief Engineer, assuming he is already in the building. There are still move sites going up around Hudson Yards. Be persistent, sell yourself.

Post Likes

LOCAL 94 Hiring

IM SORRY TO HEAR THE YOU ARE HAVING SUCH A DIFFICULT TIME GETTING A CALL BACK FROM ALL THE COMPANIES YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR. IM SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE, BUT LOCAL 94 IS A FAMILY AND FRIENDS UNION WHERE 94% OF THEIR MEMBERS SHARED THE SAME ETHNIC BACKGROUND. FIGURE THAT OUT!

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on HVAC Talk, but I am looking for a little advice. For the last couple of years, I've been trying to get picked up by a Local 94 employer, member of NYC Realty Advisory Board, like CBRE, Cushman and Wakefield, or Boston Properties.

I have a UA B book and 18 years in the trade, 16 in a van and the last 2 in house at a large NYC college. I have FDNY Refer ticket, and all other pertinent certificates of fitness, such as fire guard, torch operator, air compressors, standpipe, and sprinklers.

I have never gotten a response from any of the above mentioned employers. They constantly have postings on Indeed, and not even a sniff.

My experience is strictly HVAC and refrigeration. Is this inhibiting me? I mean, my lack of building engineer skills on my CV, such as drywall, carpentry, and lighting?

I always thought that the HVAC skills were the most difficult of building engineer skills to master, and that my vast commercial HVAC experience would put me at the top of the pile.

Maybe the problem is that these jobs are being filled by unemployed 94 members, but I thought at some point, I would at least get a sniff.

Has anyone else had the same experience, or possibly different results with a similar background to mine?

Post Likes
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU STILL HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM LOCAL 94.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SadTruth View Post
    IM SORRY TO HEAR THE YOU ARE HAVING SUCH A DIFFICULT TIME GETTING A CALL BACK FROM ALL THE COMPANIES YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR. IM SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE, BUT LOCAL 94 IS A FAMILY AND FRIENDS UNION WHERE 94% OF THEIR MEMBERS SHARED THE SAME ETHNIC BACKGROUND. FIGURE THAT OUT!
    Spew your BULL $HIT somewhere else!

LOCAL #30 IUOE Proud

Post Likes
    IS THE TRUTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hello all,

Your thread starter says "What do i have to do to get into the union", and your first sentence changes that to "employer" so which one is correct?. Now granted, i'm on the West Coast and you are as far away as possible, but this is how it has always worked in my area (Nor-Cal), which is get hired first, and the union will come. Answer that same-same or no, and i will continue with my legendary Stationary Engineer Qualifications advice, "If you so Desire", ... standing bye...

Post Likes
    IS THE TRUTH.

BULL SHIT.

Local # 94 & 30 union halls have no one sitting on the bench. There begging for new apprentices!

Post Likes
    LoL WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPRESS. MY FRIEND, GETTING A JOB AS AN HELPER IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU DONT KNOW SOMEONE! ESPECIALLY IN LOCAL 94. COME ON!EVERYONE KNOW THIS...

Post Likes
    LoL WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPRESS. MY FRIEND, GETTING A JOB AS AN HELPER IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU DONT KNOW SOMEONE! ESPECIALLY IN LOCAL 94. COME ON!EVERYONE KNOW THIS...

Bull Shit
    Full employment in both halls.
    Retirees are being asked to fill in for vacation relief!

You can’t get a stationary engineers job? That’s sad!

Post Likes
    SORRY! IM NOT TRYING TO MAKE YOU UPSET. THE MATTER OF THE FACT IS THAT WHENEVER THERE IS AN OPENING AT A BUILDING , LOCAL 94 MAKES SURE ONE OF THE MEMBERS GETS THE JOB OR ENGINEERS SPREAD THE WORD THAT THERE IS AN OPENING IN THEIR BUILDING UNTIL THEY FIND SOMEONE THEY KNOW OR IS RELATED TO SOMEONE THEY KNOW.

MOST COMPANIES POST JOBS OPENING ONLINE JUST TO FOLLOW RULES (AFFIRMATIVE ACTION), ETC. BUT 90% OF THE TIMES A RELATIVE GETS THE JOB.

IM SORRY I KNOW IS HARD TO ACCEPT IT, BUT IS THE TRUTH.

Post Likes
    No
    The way it works is:
    1st it gets posted in house and any employee in house gets the opportunity
    Then the union hall is contacted.
    If they can’t fill it then it gets opened to anyone outside.

Get your facts straight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in