+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on Uponor CCN?

Post Likes

Thoughts on Uponor CCN?

I need a control system for a residential project, but I don't want a full DDC. I've been looking at Uponor's Climate Control Network, because it can do many things that I want, for example:

Control DX or hydronic cooling, in addition to heating
    Wireless stats
    Modulating PWM control of zones, and modulating boiler and chiller support
    etc.

BUT - their website on it doesn't seem to have been updated recently, their "cloud" portal has a certificate problem, it's available to DIY'ers via online purchasing, and a few other red flags of similar nature.

So I'd like to hear from you guys whether it's any good, and what other non-DDC systems I should be considering.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Not sure your going to find much in this middle ground. DDC is digital control, and everything you want is going to involve digital control of some sort.

Commercial systems don't make great residential systems IMO. Resi systems are typically pretty limited in what they can do from what I have seen. Given all the equipment and requirements you have, your not going to have many options I suspect.

Their cert issues is just the bonehead link on their site is using the IP address over their domain name. Switch the IP out for myuponor.net and the warning will go away. Doesn't say much about their web admins.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    What's wrong with a regular DDC system, just the cost? We have a few i-Vu systems in some "large to monstrous" private residences.
    As for the one you listed, I've never heard of them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bacnet>CCN View Post
    What's wrong with a regular DDC system, just the cost? We have a few i-Vu systems in some "large to monstrous" private residences.
    As for the one you listed, I've never heard of them.
    For this setup, I want to avoid full-custom programming, and stick to an application-specific controller, which is why I was looking into this system. It started out as Wirsbo? I think that's the name, and Uponor has updated and extended it from there.

Post Likes
    Unless, I'm being given really bad information Uponor's CCN has been shut down for a few years. What's left is limited support and left over hardware getting fleabayed. All I really know is that the engineering and support staff involved in that program that I know, have all left for other companies.

It was actually Delta hardware that Uponor added some things to and put a bunched of canned programming on. With a full Orca View license you can do virtually anything with the hardware.

Edit: Have you looked into Taco iWorx?

7. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joab View Post
    Unless, I'm being given really bad information Uponor's CCN has been shut down for a few years. What's left is limited support and left over hardware getting fleabayed. All I really know is that the engineering and support staff involved in that program that I know, have all left for other companies.

It was actually Delta hardware that Uponor added some things to and put a bunched of canned programming on. With a full Orca View license you can do virtually anything with the hardware.

Edit: Have you looked into Taco iWorx?
    Thanks for the info, that matches up with the vibe I was getting while doing due diligence on their system. I have indeed looked into iWorx, but I have seen some pretty negative stuff said about it. It does appear to have the features I'm looking for, and seems to be more up-to-date and supported, so I will look into it some more.

Post Likes
    you may also want to look at:
    http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/
    http://www.proloncontrols.com/
    http://www.hbxcontrols.com/

They are all kind of just below full DDC,
    Do your own due diligence.

I would also not hesitate to dabble in full DDC as it gives you lots of flexibility.

good luck.

10. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post.
    Post Likes
    i don't prefer it but see if zone-x fit your needs

Post Likes
    Tekmar sucks if your client wants remote access and you have multiple controllers. Their support rep kept telling me that you would have to use separate Web pages to log into different control groups, but could not tell me a reason as to why that is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    you may also want to look at:
    http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/
    http://www.proloncontrols.com/
    http://www.hbxcontrols.com/

They are all kind of just below full DDC,
    Do your own due diligence.

I would also not hesitate to dabble in full DDC as it gives you lots of flexibility.

good luck.
    Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

13. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Tekmar sucks if your client wants remote access and you have multiple controllers. Their support rep kept telling me that you would have to use separate Web pages to log into different control groups, but could not tell me a reason as to why that is the case.
    Hmm, that's not very intuitive.

The main reason I prefer to avoid full DDC and just used canned routines is because of my lack of experience. I'd rather build something that has slightly less functionality, but won't have compromised reliability or comfort because I didn't know to include something important in my control sequence.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in