Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Response: Molekule vs Austin Air

All:

I am responding to the post by HVAC_Marc, which states the following along with a photo that I sent him of my HVAC Molekule air purifier in my home:

“Molekule is running a test plant whole-house solution with a (former) member here. (Former because of the crash. He hasnt re-registered yet.) It looks like this: PHOTO. We keep in contact via text. He hasn’t raved about it either so I gather it's just another glorified filter box.”

HVAC_Marc: could you please copy and paste the link to this thread in the thread "Molekule vs. Austin Air," created by argenan2? I cannot use links in this post because I am a new member with only 1 post.

My response:

1. I sent HVAC_Marc the photo of the prototype Molekule air purifier for my residential HVAC duct system, which was installed in my home by a reputable commercial HVAC contractor. I also sent Marc several others photos of the HVAC metal duct system that many on this forum helped me design. I ended up following Marc’s and other HVAC pro forum members’ recommendations and had a professional commercial contractor installed round metal pipe with flex duct laterals attached to the ceiling register boots in my attic. Probably one of the best residential HVAC systems in Florida!

2. I posted dozens of times on this forum, but the posts have been lost when the HVAC-Talk website crashed.

3 Over the past 10 years of researching air purifiers for my home and trying other air purifier systems to help my wife and me reduce or eliminate allergy symptoms, asthma, acute bronchitis, etc.; the above Molekule HVAC system, shown in the photo, and the stand-alone Molekule air purifier have eliminated all of my wife’s allergy symptoms with no need for her to take allergy medication and significantly reduced my symptoms. We are healthier and more comfortable then we have ever been while living in our home.

4. I have been running the Molekule standalone system since 11/2017 and the HVAC duct system since 2/9/2017. The air in our home is now cleaner and healthier than any home I have ever visited and I could debate that it is cleaner than most hospital environments.

5. My wife has been diagnosed by medical doctors/allergists to be allergic to dust mites and mold spores, but medical doctors/allergists have not been able to diagnose my medical condition and it is possibly related to multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). I plan to visit a toxicologist as soon as I can afford it, if possible, to find out what is triggering my adult asthma, allergy symptoms, etc. Therefore, since I did not know what was triggering my asthma, wheezing, acute bronchitis, runny nose and severe coughing, that sometime led to coughing up blood; I wanted a science-based and evidence-based air purifier that would work at both disinfecting and detoxifying the indoor air within my home. The Molekule is the only air purifier on the market that I could find which both disinfects and detoxifies the air, reasonably priced, science-based on peer review medical and scientific studies/papers, founded by a distinguished professor at the University of South Florida (USF), patented technology, Time magazine voted it as the top 25 inventions of 2017, easy to maintain and change filters/bulbs, updated state-of-the-art air purifying technology superior to old outdated technology like HEPA and carbon filters, etc.

6. I recently purchased a home that was built in 1994 near Tampa, Florida and the prior owner did not maintain the current HVAC system, e.g., regular maintenance of air handler coils, condenser, changing filters, etc. Last year I discovered dust, black and white molds growing in the air handler and the supply duct above the air handler. I met with all the top and highly recommended local HVAC contractors and an environmental services/indoor air quality company to survey my home: they all agreed that the ducts had to be replaced because the mold growth was so aggressive that the flex duct and duct board could not be cleaned. They also said that the mold growth is very likely one of the reasons why we are suffering from acute bronchitis along with my wife and my other allergy symptoms.

7. I have been in the environmental science/occupational safety and health field since the early 90s and I have a Master of Engineering degree in Advanced Safety Engineering & Management and two other degrees related to environmental science, occupational safety & health, toxicology, industrial hygiene, fire safety engineering and system safety engineering from University of Alabama, Murray State University and Eastern Kentucky University. I specialize in providing a safe and healthy work environment for many of my clients, employers and organizations and ‘now’ I am having poor indoor air quality issues in my home and needed a science-based solution to our health concerns.

8. My wife is a degreed and licensed Food Engineer with over 20 years of experience and she studied and researched the effects of ultraviolet germicide lights in a lab setting for food safety. So, both she and I have a background in academics and as practitioners, which helped us understand the science behind Molekule’s technology.

9. During my research of residential air purifiers I was pointed to the scientific studies, patents and the research of Dr. Yogi Goswami and Molekule’s air purifier system. The following science-based facts helped convince us to purchase the Molekule and personally reach out to Dr. Goswami at USF to see if he could help my wife and me with installing an air purifier to help improve our health problems:

10. “Hello, my name is Dr. Yogi Goswami, I am the inventor of Photo-electrocatalytic technology (PECO) for disinfection and detoxification of air…” “Detoxification means destroying toxic compounds in air. Molecular air purifier means purifying air at the molecular level. Pure air means air which has been filtered and disinfected and detoxified. Neutralizing in strict terms means not allowing the microorganisms to reproduce however, in the photoelectrochemical technology we are using it for oxidizing and mineralizing the microorganisms” (End quote).

“HEPA filters only work down to a scale of 0.3 microns. The PECO technology deals with pollutants 1000x smaller like viruses and airborne chemicals as well. Mold can grow on filters, and bacteria even when they die on them can release endotoxins. HEPA cannot deal with gaseous chemical pollutants. In contrast PECO chemically breaks down these pollutants into simpler molecular structures. In most cases the resultant is trace amounts of water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and extremely small amounts of other trace elements” (End quote).

“Our chemical reactions are confined to surfaces, so when the pollutant collides with a fiber of the catalytic filter, the reaction takes place. We do not release any harmful substances or byproducts into the air. This is something you are wise to be leery of, since many devices produce ozone or incomplete byproducts which can be more harmful” (End quote).

“I definitely see a product coming to the market that will be integrated with HVAC systems. It will have the level of filtration that is needed and then photoelectrocatalytic technology to really clean the air. Although, the system for HVAC integration is not on the market at this time, I will be willing to help any special cases as pilot projects.

The electrostatic and high MERV filters just filter some of the particles; they cannot filter volatile organic compounds in the air. Moreover, any microbes trapped on the filters continue to multiply.

The PECO technology has a prefilter which filters out dust particles and it has a catalytic filter with a light shining on it which oxidizes any microbes and VOCs passing through it. The basic mechanism is the creation of free radicals confined to a surface which oxidize all of these pollutants.

The device being introduced in the market has a catalytic filter with a MERV rating of 12 to 14; however, it can be a higher MERV rating for applications such as hospitals and medical facilities. In the case of this catalytic filter MERV rating does not have as much significance with regards to performance, because we only require a pollutant to collide with a fiber of the catalytic filter for a reaction to take place, rather than trying to trap pollutants in a full mesh of fibers.

The static pressure of course depends on the MERV rating of the filter and the number of pleats in the filter; so it can be designed with a fan of appropriate power. A portable device we've tested has a pressure drop of about 0.5 inches. A device for central air conditioning systems will have a higher pressure drop but not much more.

The prefilter will need to be replaced every one to three months; the catalytic filter by definition cleans itself, however, because some dust particles settle on the catalytic filter it will have to be replaced every 6 to 12 months.

The large dust particles are filtered out by the prefilter which will have to be replaced every 1-3 months which keeps the catalytic filter clean so that it does not have to be replaced that often” (end quote, source: in the winnower website).

Sincerely thank you to Molekule, Dr. Goswami, Marc, HVAC-Talk forum pro members for helping to improve our health,

Kenneth Martin

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin78 View Post
    Hello:

I am responding to the post by HVAC_Marc, which states the following along with a photo that I sent him of my HVAC Molekule air purifier in my home:

“Molekule is running a test plant whole-house solution with a (former) member here. (Former because of the crash. He hasnt re-registered yet.) It looks like this: PHOTO. We keep in contact via text. He hasn’t raved about it either so I gather it's just another glorified filter box.”

HVAC_Marc: could you please copy and paste the link to this thread in the thread "Molekule vs. Austin Air," created by argenan2? I cannot use links in this post because I am a new member with only 1 post.

My response:

1. I sent HVAC_Marc the photo of the prototype Molekule air purifier for my residential HVAC duct system, which was installed in my home by a reputable commercial HVAC contractor. I also sent Marc several others photos of the HVAC metal duct system that many on this forum helped me design. I ended up following Marc’s and other HVAC pro forum members’ recommendations and had a professional commercial contractor installed round metal pipe with flex duct laterals attached to the ceiling register boots in my attic. Probably one of the best residential HVAC systems in Florida!

2. I posted dozens of times on this forum, but the posts have been lost when the HVAC-Talk website crashed.

3 Over the past 10 years of researching air purifiers for my home and trying other air purifier systems to help my wife and me reduce or eliminate allergy symptoms, asthma, acute bronchitis, etc.; the above Molekule HVAC system, shown in the photo, and the stand-alone Molekule air purifier have eliminated all of my wife’s allergy symptoms with no need for her to take allergy medication and significantly reduced my symptoms. We are healthier and more comfortable then we have ever been while living in our home.

4. I have been running the Molekule standalone system since 11/2017 and the HVAC duct system since 2/9/2017. The air in our home is now cleaner and healthier than any home I have ever visited and I could debate that it is cleaner than most hospital environments.

5. My wife has been diagnosed by medical doctors/allergists to be allergic to dust mites and mold spores, but medical doctors/allergists have not been able to diagnose my medical condition and it is possibly related to multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). I plan to visit a toxicologist as soon as I can afford it, if possible, to find out what is triggering my adult asthma, allergy symptoms, etc. Therefore, since I did not know what was triggering my asthma, wheezing, acute bronchitis, runny nose and severe coughing, that sometime led to coughing up blood; I wanted a science-based and evidence-based air purifier that would work at both disinfecting and detoxifying the indoor air within my home. The Molekule is the only air purifier on the market that I could find which both disinfects and detoxifies the air, reasonably priced, science-based on peer review medical and scientific studies/papers, founded by a distinguished professor at the University of South Florida (USF), patented technology, Time magazine voted it as the top 25 inventions of 2017, easy to maintain and change filters/bulbs, updated state-of-the-art air purifying technology superior to old outdated technology like HEPA and carbon filters, etc.

6. I recently purchased a home that was built in 1994 near Tampa, Florida and the prior owner did not maintain the current HVAC system, e.g., regular maintenance of air handler coils, condenser, changing filters, etc. Last year I discovered dust, black and white molds growing in the air handler and the supply duct above the air handler. I met with all the top and highly recommended local HVAC contractors and an environmental services/indoor air quality company to survey my home: they all agreed that the ducts had to be replaced because the mold growth was so aggressive that the flex duct and duct board could not be cleaned. They also said that the mold growth is very likely one of the reasons why we are suffering from acute bronchitis along with my wife and my other allergy symptoms.

7. I have been in the environmental science/occupational safety and health field since the early 90s and I have a Master of Engineering degree in Advanced Safety Engineering & Management and two other degrees related to environmental science, occupational safety & health, toxicology, industrial hygiene, fire safety engineering and system safety engineering from University of Alabama, Murray State University and Eastern Kentucky University. I specialize in providing a safe and healthy work environment for many of my clients, employers and organizations and ‘now’ I am having poor indoor air quality issues in my home and needed a science-based solution to our health concerns.

8. My wife is a degreed and licensed Food Engineer with over 20 years of experience and she studied and researched the effects of ultraviolet germicide lights in a lab setting for food safety. So, both she and I have a background in academics and as practitioners, which helped us understand the science behind Molekule’s technology.

9. During my research of residential air purifiers I was pointed to the scientific studies, patents and the research of Dr. Yogi Goswami and Molekule’s air purifier system. The following science-based facts helped convince us to purchase the Molekule and personally reach out to Dr. Goswami at USF to see if he could help my wife and me with installing an air purifier to help improve our health problems:

10. “Hello, my name is Dr. Yogi Goswami, I am the inventor of Photo-electrocatalytic technology (PECO) for disinfection and detoxification of air…” “Detoxification means destroying toxic compounds in air. Molecular air purifier means purifying air at the molecular level. Pure air means air which has been filtered and disinfected and detoxified. Neutralizing in strict terms means not allowing the microorganisms to reproduce however, in the photoelectrochemical technology we are using it for oxidizing and mineralizing the microorganisms” (End quote).

“HEPA filters only work down to a scale of 0.3 microns. The PECO technology deals with pollutants 1000x smaller like viruses and airborne chemicals as well. Mold can grow on filters, and bacteria even when they die on them can release endotoxins. HEPA cannot deal with gaseous chemical pollutants. In contrast PECO chemically breaks down these pollutants into simpler molecular structures. In most cases the resultant is trace amounts of water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and extremely small amounts of other trace elements” (End quote).

“Our chemical reactions are confined to surfaces, so when the pollutant collides with a fiber of the catalytic filter, the reaction takes place. We do not release any harmful substances or byproducts into the air. This is something you are wise to be leery of, since many devices produce ozone or incomplete byproducts which can be more harmful” (End quote).

“I definitely see a product coming to the market that will be integrated with HVAC systems. It will have the level of filtration that is needed and then photoelectrocatalytic technology to really clean the air. Although, the system for HVAC integration is not on the market at this time, I will be willing to help any special cases as pilot projects.

The electrostatic and high MERV filters just filter some of the particles; they cannot filter volatile organic compounds in the air. Moreover, any microbes trapped on the filters continue to multiply.

The PECO technology has a prefilter which filters out dust particles and it has a catalytic filter with a light shining on it which oxidizes any microbes and VOCs passing through it. The basic mechanism is the creation of free radicals confined to a surface which oxidize all of these pollutants.

The device being introduced in the market has a catalytic filter with a MERV rating of 12 to 14; however, it can be a higher MERV rating for applications such as hospitals and medical facilities. In the case of this catalytic filter MERV rating does not have as much significance with regards to performance, because we only require a pollutant to collide with a fiber of the catalytic filter for a reaction to take place, rather than trying to trap pollutants in a full mesh of fibers.

The static pressure of course depends on the MERV rating of the filter and the number of pleats in the filter; so it can be designed with a fan of appropriate power. A portable device we've tested has a pressure drop of about 0.5 inches. A device for central air conditioning systems will have a higher pressure drop but not much more.

The prefilter will need to be replaced every one to three months; the catalytic filter by definition cleans itself, however, because some dust particles settle on the catalytic filter it will have to be replaced every 6 to 12 months.

The large dust particles are filtered out by the prefilter which will have to be replaced every 1-3 months which keeps the catalytic filter clean so that it does not have to be replaced that often” (end quote, source: in the winnower website).

Sincerely thank you to Molekule, Dr. Goswami, Marc, HVAC-Talk forum members for helping to improve our health,

Kenneth Martin

Post Likes
    Merged threads.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Merged threads.
    The reason I created two threads:

1. I could not respond to the thread "Molekule vs. Austin Air," created by argenan2 because I am not a pro member. I contacted the Administrator about it before I posted 2 separate threads.

2. I created two threads: one in "Ask Our Pros-Owner Assistance - NO DIY advice will be given," which was a response to argenan2's thread and one in "Forum: General Discussion" to document my personal experience and GIVE other non-pro members an opportunity to respond or ask me questions.

3. Over the last 3-4 months I spent a lot of time writing on this forum and all of my posts are gone and I had to start from scratch in joining the forum. I know how frustrating it is for me and can't imagine how frustrating it must be for many others who spent hours of their time writing on the forum to have everything lost.

Sincerely thank you for your understanding,

KM

Post Likes
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartin78 View Post

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....-vs-Austin-Air

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by argenan2 View Post
    Pre-crash, there was extensive posting regarding a comparison of the new Molekule air purifier as compared to the Austin Air bedroom model. Randy F was graciously sharing some of his own testing and working with the manufacturer/developer of the Molekule. When I use the search feature, I cannot find this thread so it may have been lost. Randy F, or anyone who was following that thread, can you bring me up to speed on the results? Thank you so much.
    Appreciate your interest Argenan.
    Has a similar request on Reddit and I started a thread there.

I will be providing an overview of my missing posts including results of my latest tests. Also, still in communication with the MoleKule folks - they are great, but no change in latest test results. Hopefully will be taking some more readings this weekend and have got an additional device to evaluate.

Post Likes
    Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post

Molekule is running a test plant whole-house solution with a (former) member here. (Former because of the crash. He hasnt re-registered yet.)

It looks like this:

Name: IMG_1325.jpg
    Views: 93
    Size: 175.2 KB
    [
    We keep in contact via text. He hasnt raved about it either so I gather it's just another glorified filter box.
    Interesting - Looks like a full Induct unit. Too bad it's not in production. Seems to be a bigger catalyst, more UVA. If the PECO technology does work, that's the device that should show large significant results considering all air in the living space would contact the catalyst. Not sure about pressure drop and installation expertise required.

This is classic PCO. Run all the air through catalyst to oxidize VOCs immediately. That's the idea behind what was used on the Space Shuttle and the configuration of units reported in hundreds of science publications of the last 2 - 3 decades.

Some years ago most commercial manufactures (RGF, Air Oasis, Air Fantastic, Air Scrubber) took a different direction. They used PCO technology to generate ionized Hydrogen Peroxide, some Ozone, activated oxegen to spew in the living space. This approach is definitely easy to treat a large area, but its efficacy is unknown to me. Evaluating one of these units currently and I will report on here when I have results.

To repeat myself, and sorry it won't be for the last time:
    1. Unless before and after readings are taken with either an industrial grade PID or Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry lab results, reports are much less meaningful than they could be.
    2. I have no doubt about the integrity of Molekule testing either inhouse or a via a 3rd party, BUT they are limited by using a super high concentration of a single VOC in what amounts to a large fish tank.
    This does not mimic the living spaces we inhabit.

Here's a recent *real* journal paper providing an over view of PCO technology. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in what science really has to say about this technology.
    http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/21/1/56
    Click on the *View Full-Text" link to gain access to the full pdf.
    Here's a relevant quote at the end of the paper:
    Currently most studies demonstrate their VOCs removal efficiency in a high concentration level (e.g., ppmv). More on-site demonstrations should be conducted in order to prove the efficiency in removal of indoor VOCs in realistic environments (e.g., residential and work spaces).

Different oxidation states of intermediates can be produced in the PCO reaction mechanism. These organics can temporarily or permanently occupy the active sites on the photocatalyst’s surface, leading to suppression or termination of the reaction kinetics. Efficient removal of these intermediates is necessary as they are often even more toxic than the parent VOCs and harmful to health. It is especially critical if they can be discharged into the indoor airs in practical applications.

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Molekule is running a test plant whole-house solution with a (former) member here. (Former because of the crash. He hasnt re-registered yet.)

It looks like this:

Name: IMG_1325.jpg
    Views: 93
    Size: 175.2 KB

We keep in contact via text. He hasnt raved about it either so I gather it's just another glorified filter box.
    Interesting - Looks like a full Induct unit. Too bad it's not in production. Seems to be a bigger catalyst, more UVA. If the PECO technology does work, that's the device that should show large significant results considering all air in the living space would contact the catalyst. Not sure about pressure drop and installation expertise required.

This is classic PCO. Run all the air through catalyst to oxidize VOCs immediately. That's the idea behind what was used on the Space Shuttle and the configuration of units reported in hundreds of science publications of the last 2 - 3 decades.

Some years ago most commercial manufactures (RGF, Air Oasis, Air Fantastic, Air Scrubber) took a different direction. They used PCO technology to generate ionized Hydrogen Peroxide, some Ozone, activated oxegen to spew in the living space. This approach is definitely easy to treat a large area, but its efficacy is unknown to me. Evaluating one of these units currently and I will report on here when I have results.

To repeat myself, and sorry it won't be for the last time:
    1. Unless before and after readings are taken with either an industrial grade PID or Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry lab results, reports are much less meaningful than they could be.
    2. I have no doubt about the integrity of Molekule testing either inhouse or a via a 3rd party, BUT they are limited by using a super high concentration of a single VOC in what amounts to a large fish tank.
    This does not mimic the living spaces we inhabit.

Here's a recent *real* journal paper providing an over view of PCO technology. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in what science really has to say about this technology.
    http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/21/1/56
    Click on the *View Full-Text" link to gain access to the full pdf.
    Here's a relevant quote at the end of the paper:
    Currently most studies demonstrate their VOCs removal efficiency in a high concentration level (e.g., ppmv). More on-site demonstrations should be conducted in order to prove the efficiency in removal of indoor VOCs in realistic environments (e.g., residential and work spaces).

Different oxidation states of intermediates can be produced in the PCO reaction mechanism. These organics can temporarily or permanently occupy the active sites on the photocatalyst’s surface, leading to suppression or termination of the reaction kinetics. Efficient removal of these intermediates is necessary as they are often even more toxic than the parent VOCs and harmful to health. It is especially critical if they can be discharged into the indoor airs in practical applications.

Post Likes
    Test post...

Post Likes
    Please find below a recent post by Dr. Goswami, which is a response to Thomas Talhelm’s article on Quora website: "Is Molekule really better than similarly priced air purifiers already on the market”

“… I am Dr. Yogi Goswami, the inventor of the Photo-electrochemical oxidation (PECO) technology which is commercialized in Molekule. I am a Distinguished Professor and have published 21 scientific books, 350 scientific articles in peer reviewed scientific journals, hold 22 patents, am a fellow of the American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), and a fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). I invented and developed Molekule’s technology PECO, precisely because HEPA filters and other conventional air cleaners did not work for my son who is asthmatic and has allergies. I developed PECO technology over 20 years of research resulting in 3 Ph.D dissertations and one master’s thesis, 22 articles in scientific journals peer reviewed by other scientists, before PECO was ready for commercialization. And even before we started to sell Molekule, we conducted a pilot clinical study with 49 allergy and asthma sufferers around the country, many of whom had already used HEPA and other air purifiers, and presented the results in 2017 at the ACAAI (American College of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, see link here: http://www.annallergy.org/article/S1...021-9/fulltext) annual meeting and in 2018 at the AAAAI (American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology) annual meeting. The results of the study show that after using Molekule over a 4 week period, the symptom score (nasal, ocular and sleep symptoms) of allergy sufferers went down dramatically with high statistical significance, and the asthma symptoms of asthma sufferers went down as well (also statistically significant).

What HEPA filters can and can’t do: HEPA filters will filter particles of 0.3 microns with 99.97% efficiency, just as the HEPA filter manufacturers claim. While it is possible that a HEPA filter can filter out some smaller than 0.3 micron particles due to diffusion and impact, these particles can just as easily become free and get back into the air since they are significantly smaller than the pore size of HEPA (pore size = the gaps within the fibers of HEPA). Viruses that are smaller than the pores of HEPA can just pass through. See the image below taken from a scanning electron microscope (SEM) of mold spores growing on a HEPA filter. The relative size of the mold spore to the pores/opening of the fibers helps easily show how these mold spores can detach and become airborne once again:

(Visit website to see photo: https://www.quora.com/Is-Molekule-re...-on-the-market).

In addition, collecting microorganisms on a nutrient rich media (all the dirt being collected on a HEPA filter), provides a surface for these microorganisms to grow and proliferate. This fact has been cited in many peer reviewed journal articles and here is a direct quote: “Wood concluded that while HEPA PRACs (portable room air cleaners) may be an option for cat and dog allergy, there was no evidence they were effective for dust mite or mold allergy.’ The article goes on to state that ‘Dirty filters can become a source for air contamination by allergens particularly fungal spores, and can then be trapped, colonized and released downstream as the overloaded filter fails.” (Reference - Sublett, J., “Effectiveness of Air Filters and Air Cleaners in Allergic Respiratory Diseases: A Review of the Recent Literature”, Current Allergy and Asthma Rep (2011) 11:395-402). Again, purely trying to collect microorganisms in the air on a HEPA and not destroying them has many unintended consequences.

To further verify that HEPA filters cannot capture the small pollutants, Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) in air are small molecules (nanometers in size) which cannot at all be filtered by HEPA. No amount of diffusion or impact of these particles on a HEPA can keep them trapped. These chemicals are emitted by paints, carpets, plastics, surface finishes and a number of things we use indoors – and they make us sick and can cause us long term problems like cancer.

Mr. Talhelm claims that he has never once heard of mold or bacteria growing on HEPA filters in Shanghai, Shenzen and all of India. Does that mean that they don’t grow on HEPA? The referenced review article of HEPA air purification has shown his assertion to be completely incorrect. In fact, Kim et. al. identified fungal species growing on HEPA filters in three different allergic patients’ houses in Korea and they concluded that these fungi were the allergenic species from the patient’s indoor air that were growing on HEPA. (Kim SH, Ahn GR, Son SY, Bae GN, Yun YH. Mold occurring on the air cleaner high-efficiency particulate air filters used in the houses of child patients with atopic dermatitis. Mycobiology. 2014;42(3):286-290.)

HEPA & Viruses on Planes

The assertion that because an airplane uses HEPA, viruses are captured, doesn’t have any basis in science. Many people develop an upper respiratory viral infection after traveling by plane. As per a 2016 review in Epidemiology, the 1st line in their abstract is “Air travel is associated with the spread of influenza through infected passengers and potentially through in flight transmission.” (Epidemiology. 2016. Sep:27 (5):743-51). In another article, it was stated that, “After one flight carrying a symptomatic person and 119 other persons, laboratory-confirmed SARS developed in 16 persons, 2 others were given diagnoses of probable SARS, and 4 were reported to have SARS but could not be interviewed.” (Sonja J. et.al., “Transmission of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome on Aircraft” New England Journal of Medicine 2003; 349:2416-2422 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa031349).

Basis of Molekule Claims: Molekule works at the molecular level and does not just capture, it destroys bacteria, viruses, mold and other spores and VOCs. The underlying technology of Molekule (PECO) was developed with research over a 20 year period that produced 3 Ph.D dissertations and one master’s thesis. We have also conducted extensive third party tests, including at the University of Minnesota and the University of South Florida, specifically comparing with HEPA filters. Every claim that we have made about Molekule is backed by science and independent third party tests. A link to all of this testing can be found here, with the raw reports available at the end of each summary document:

Molekule on:

Bioareosols - https://assets.molekule.com/papers/Bioaerosols.pdf

Ozone - https://assets.molekule.com/papers/Ozone.pdf

VOCs - https://assets.molekule.com/papers/VOCs.pdf

It is important to note that Molekule tests on PECO technology not only look at filtering pollutants from the air, but complete destruction of these pollutants. This is why tests also reference swab sampling of the filter surface to ensure no microorganisms remain to grow on the surface of the filter.

Ultimately, basic science and a history of research / peer reviewed journal articles disproves what Talhelm is saying. I have conducted research over the last 45 years and have been honored by scientific and engineering societies with their highest awards for my research & findings. I stand behind every claim about Molekule’s technology” (Goswami, 2018, Response to Thomas Talhelm’s article on Quora website: Is Molekule really better than similarly priced air purifiers already on the market”).

Post Likes
    Test 2...

Post Likes
    For those interested please find the below abstract from the photo-electrochemical oxidation (PECO) air-purification technology study that was reference above. The above link sometimes does not work and it is difficult to read on the website:

NOVEL PHOTO-ELECTROCHEMICAL OXIDATION AIR PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY REDUCES NASAL AND OCULAR ALLERGY SYMPTOMS, J. Wong, N. Rao, S. Liggett, Y. Goswami, A. Kumar, San. Francisco, CA; 2. Tampa, FL.

Background: Photo-electrochemical oxidation (PECO) is a new air purification technology developed to reduce circulating indoor allergens. PECO removes particles as small as 30 nanometers with the destruction of organic matter otherwise not trapped by a traditional filter and removes volatile organic compounds. We hypothesized that with daily use, the device would reduce user nasal and ocular allergy total symptom scores within 4 weeks.

Methods: The study was performed among 46 individuals with self-reported allergies. Self-reported total symptom scores (TSS) were calculated at baseline and weekly for 4 weeks following initiation of continuous use of the system. TSS was the sum of total nasal symptom scores (TNSS) and total ocular symptom scores (TOSS) for the week.

Results: There was a statistically significant change in overall TSS from baseline to four weeks (10.1 at baseline and 4.35 post-intervention) resulting in a mean difference of 5.75 (95% CI 4.32 to 7.18; p<0.0001). There was a statistically significant change in TNSS score from baseline to four weeks (6.3 at baseline and 3.04 post intervention) resulting in a mean difference of 3.26 (95% CI 2.33 to 3.19; p<0.0001). There was a statistically significant change in TOSS score from baseline to four weeks (3.82 at baseline and 1.3 post intervention) resulting in a mean difference of 2.52 (95% CI 1.74 to 3.3; p<0.0001).

Conclusions: With the use of PECO air purification technology, TSS, TNSS and TOSS scores decreased significantly. These improvements were consistent over the 4-week course of device use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast