Post Likes

Recommended rebuild hours for CHHN compressors?

What the title says
    I've looked on various sites, can't find it.
    100000 hours . R22. 70 ton each.
    Not to rebuild but as added fuel to upgrade.
    Now that I've written it I'm not positive of the CHHN but pretty sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    CHHN is part of the model number of the compressors. I couldn't find any literature either on lifespan or r'newal time frame. I did find some info on the bearings. Worst case scenario is 40k hours. They can easily last well over 100k if taken care of and the system is clean!
    I take it this is an RTAA. I firmly believe that they will run forever or at least till they rot out if taken care of.
    The biggest sell is the lack of control boards available and price of R-22.
    Hope the replacement is another Trane!

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

3. Likes icy78, CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No easy answer.
    Depend on how busy your local trane office is.
    Mine as started to try to sell R'newal after 40000. But I have seen some chiller going for far longer than that.

BTW I'd be curious to know what trane is doing when doing R'newal.
    Only info found on internet is they replace might compressor on rtw and rta series.
    One of our customers was wondering..

Post Likes
    Two of my accounts said Trane had approached them at about 50k I think and offered a program to change the compressors. Those were also 70s and were $30k each to change. Neither took them up on it.
    That R'newal....is that the program?

@jayguy used to work for Trane I believe. Maybe he'll see this.

Post Likes
    Yes, R'newal is the program that we use to restore a chiller. On a centrifugal it involves a regasket and a motor rebuild or replacement depending on what the motor shop wants to do.

On the screw machines, it does include a compressor replacement. Normal the compressor is a rebuild from the compressor shop. It provides a level of comfort for the customer, because they get warranty on an older machine. The threshold where we get R'newal flags is at about 50k hours on screw machines. But we have some still running strong at over 100k.

At over 100k, R'newal isn't really the path anymore. The sheet metal and condenser coils are normally starting to deteriorate to a point where replacement is the best course.

Post Likes
    R'newal is the program. Personally, I've only heard it done on water cooled chillers... not saying there isn't one for air cooled. Our salesman start mentioning it around 80k I believe.
    I don't get to see the paperwork side of it. I get parts and a compressor and have at it so I'm not sure if there are add ons.
    Compressor swap, distill charge, oil change, oil pressure switch, oil filter, refrigerant filter, contactors and oil+refrigerant samples after it's running is my norm.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys.
    Yup, last few years it's used a helper water spray at above about 88f ambiant. Then they let the water run for 2 months and there is now a fine layer of minerals all over the underside. So it's worse. Also have one manifold pass, (about 6", and total length,) isolated , so circuit has a small condenser. Loud contactors, broken 'down' switch on the display, embedded cottonwood, I can't get out of the condenser, and the requirement that they need redundant cooling.
    All adds up to me but I don't pay the bills!

I think two smaller units with a dry cooler would be great. Used 24/7/365. Dry cooler could be used 5 months probably.

Post Likes
    Yeah, sounds like she's at the end of the ropes.

Post Likes
    Sounds like a CHHB compressor, not CHHN.
    The 2nd most important amendment is to protect the 1st....

Free Air Conditioner Sizing Chart