Thread: Fieldpiece JL3KH6

Post Likes

Fieldpiece JL3KH6

How do we feel about it?
    I just ordered it and Im still on the fence after reading the reviews. Still super excited to see it in the field.
    Seems like a great concept, no more jl2 on the hip, bulky set up. Hell I was spending more time setting up the sman and the spd2 than getting my readings.
    Out the door under $500.

Anyone using this set up?

Post Likes
    not yet but will in May. I think it would be great to put the temp probes on a return and supply go outside perform cleaning, start up the unit get rest of your info then check s & r db & wb from outside.

Right now and I believe through May Johnstone's has them for $449

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    not yet but will in May. I think it would be great to put the temp probes on a return and supply go outside perform cleaning, start up the unit get rest of your info then check s & r db & wb from outside.

Right now and I believe through May Johnstone's has them for $449
    Yep with tax around $482 that’s where I went.
    Absolutely my thoughts. Cuts time a lot.

Post Likes
    Cheaper on TTT with Hvac discount and no tax.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Cheaper on TTT with Hvac discount and no tax.
    what is TTT?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    what is TTT?
    TruTech Tools, although they do charge tax in my area.

Post Likes
    So what are everyone's thoughts on these.

I picked up a set last week and haven't messed with them much yet. The one job I used them on went well. They didn't loose connection like my Testos did constantly. Air temp Probes were very accurate but I didn't cross check the pipe clamp Temps. App was good.

People seem to love them and a few didn't like them from what I remember. But that thread disappeared and I can't remember what the problems were.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    So what are everyone's thoughts on these.

I picked up a set last week and haven't messed with them much yet. The one job I used them on went well. They didn't loose connection like my Testos did constantly. Air temp Probes were very accurate but I didn't cross check the pipe clamp Temps. App was good.

People seem to love them and a few didn't like them from what I remember. But that thread disappeared and I can't remember what the problems were.
    I have owned them since they first came out, for the price not bad, the app sucks imo just the overall layout and the fact doesnt auto calculate temp split bugs me, I mainly use them for pms. Anytime Im opening a system up I always fall back to my imanifold/measurequick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjc View Post
    I have owned them since they first came out, for the price not bad, the app sucks imo just the overall layout and the fact doesnt auto calculate temp split bugs me, I mainly use them for pms. Anytime Im opening a system up I always fall back to my imanifold/measurequick

Yeah, I noticed the not calculating the temp split which is weird.

What are some of the features you like about measure quick? I don't know enough about it but know everyone is loving it. Maybe we can get FP to jump on board if we put together a list of benefits MQ has. I'll bet they will sell quite a few more if they do.

10. Likes ChuckDe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the not calculating the temp split which is weird.

What are some of the features you like about measure quick? I don't know enough about it but know everyone is loving it. Maybe we can get FP to jump on board if we put together a list of benefits MQ has. I'll bet they will sell quite a few more if they do.
    One of the fp reps messaged me asking what features would like to see, that was a few months back havent heard anything back. I dont see them teaming up with mq either since they are trying to get market share in that realm of invoicing etc. personally the overall feel and look of mq is much better, some of the features would be cfm calculation then that would auto calculate btus sensible/latent, Temp split, also acceptable suction/head pressure based on conditions and system type. Yes we can look all this up manually but some of these features can speed up the process

12. Likes CowboyDave liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just ordered mine today and jacked up to give it a whirl! Quick, easy and simple reporting is all i need. Not interested in all the drama and expandability of the other guys.

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    I've used them since they came out. they work good, have a few qwerks, and hiccups, but all in all, petty good. They will drop and reconnect some, worse with Samsung devices, not so much with Motorolas. The app is good, but could use some work, nothing major, just some cleanup and more features. One thing is you shouldn't need the connectivity to use the app, ( I know, I know, open the app before you lose connectivity and you're good to go, but it's a hassle we don't need). I'd like the ability to type in data, such as amp draws and such, instead of it being a feature tied to their clamp meters with bluetooth. It's not iconnect, but then again, it's not $1800 either. I think it's a great start on a set you'll use daily. Lots of times I really don't need a full system analysis, or to take the time to hook up everything with the iconnect/manifold, so this is a great alternative. The psychrometers are really good and easy to mount, and stay put, I wish imanifolds were this good. Temp clamps for me have been SUPER accurate and will get into spots other won't even come close to. Pressure probes are dead on too. Range is just about what they advertise, 300'. I've never had a problem, even on big churches with a lot of distance and walls. I can hook up on my home unit, and walk to the mailbox, roughly 300' away, with the house between us and I lose signal, just as I cross the road to get the mail. I stepped it off and it's right at 125 long paces. I'm too lazy to measure it.
    I think FP did a pretty darn good job on this one. Sure it's evolutionary .... what isn't right now? But a real usable system, for me anyway. I also like being able to pop a pressure gauge on small stuff when needed and not lose much charge.

15. Likes kangaroogod liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am also hoping FP rep(s) will see threads like this one. I have had the probes for a while now and have noticed the concrete walls are a real detriment to the range. Line of sight they work great but concrete can reduce the range to 30-50ft. I have the same gripe that a delta T should have been a no brainer. Part of using these things is to reduce time and I know it may seem petty but having to figure the split is a waste when the dual psych has the split built in and its old tech.
    I have also noticed that if you just close the app without backing out completely, the next time I attempt to use it the probes show as not connected and would not connect no matter what I did. The first time this happened I thought the app got corrupted and reinstalled it. Then I figured out as long as each time I use it, as long as I open it fresh it works no problem. I do also notice some indiscriminate dropping out of the probes occasionally with my Galaxy S8. One problem that seems to have gone away was that if I was using the app and had all my info entered such as ambient and cfm, if I left the app to answer the phone it now doesnt lose the info like it used to. Before I would have to re-enter everything all over again.
    I also agree that the electrical info should be able to be entered manually instead of being forced to buy a JL2 and a compatible meter. Thats just assinine. I understand they want to sell stuff but for something as trivial as this, just rewrite the app for manual entry....geeze. Thats just being greedy.
    I mainly just use mine for PM's as of now. I did take YJ 45 ball valve and YJ core tool and fit them together to have the ability to add refr. with the tool attached. Better than having to remove the tool and drag out the Sman if ref. needs to be added.
    So far, I would say that they are worth the money. MQ functionality would be nice but not holding my breath as others have said.
    Another thing I just thought of was I wasnt aware that I had to buy the JL2 to do data logging. Just found that out the other day when I was reading the directions on the pres probe and trying to put it into DL mode. It says it can be set up inside the app. I fumbled around for about 10 min b4 figuring out it would cost another 200.00 to do that.
    l8r

Post Likes

sonnybono

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyDave View Post
    How do we feel about it?
    I just ordered it and Im still on the fence after reading the reviews. Still super excited to see it in the field.
    Seems like a great concept, no more jl2 on the hip, bulky set up. Hell I was spending more time setting up the sman and the spd2 than getting my readings.
    Out the door under $500.

Anyone using this set up?
    I received mine on July16'18 and used it on a new install on Monday July23'18. To say the least I was very impressed with the tool. I purchased a Samsung galaxy tablet and played around with it on my own ac unit and it would keep stating to reconnect tool. The app had problems with the Samsung. I took it back to bestbuys and they stated all the samsung would have problems with the app. They tried a Apple I-pad tablet and the download was perfect. When the tool is used now there isn't any more reconnect tool. Do your self a favor and get the Apple product and you will be ok. I checked them against my Testo 550 and the readings were right on. So far I'm well pleased with the purchase.

Post Likes
    After using them everyday for a while, I still like them. They work better with a samsung s9, much less reconnecting. Logging is my big issue now. We need automatic logging to .CDC file. Yellow Jacket p51-870 has it and I'm hooked. So much work to do, I forget to send report to myself to keep with cust info. The YJ logs automatically. At the end of the day I just save the file from the p51 to my phone for each cust. Easy as it gets. Also I'd like to use the psychrometers by themselves and have all the calculations include superheated target.
    Still I'm a fan and they are slowly improving.

Post Likes
    I meant .csv file.