Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The triangle in the Keystone
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Likes

    Hobart dishwasher leaking

    I need some help coming up with a fix for this unit. This is a Hobart conveyor CLPS66E. The machine is leaking from the wash section, specifically the back wall just above the conveyer. There’s a seam there where the top half and bottom half of the unit bolts together. I can see where the rubber seal has blown out.

    I think it’s going to be a major ordeal to replace the rubber gasket. The entire unit will need removed and then separated top to bottom. Once it’s all unbolted I’ll have to lift the top half up a few inches and replace the seal.

    That’s going to be a huge undertaking. Is there a way to seal it from the inside? I don’t think any silicone would last more than a few hours. I tried putting a super sticky rubber window flashing over it but that lasted about 10 seconds. I was considering TIG’ing it but I’ll melt the good sections and of the rubber seal I’m sure.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    60
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    I need some help coming up with a fix for this unit. This is a Hobart conveyor CLPS66E. The machine is leaking from the wash section, specifically the back wall just above the conveyer. There’s a seam there where the top half and bottom half of the unit bolts together. I can see where the rubber seal has blown out.

    I think it’s going to be a major ordeal to replace the rubber gasket. The entire unit will need removed and then separated top to bottom. Once it’s all unbolted I’ll have to lift the top half up a few inches and replace the seal.

    That’s going to be a huge undertaking. Is there a way to seal it from the inside? I don’t think any silicone would last more than a few hours. I tried putting a super sticky rubber window flashing over it but that lasted about 10 seconds. I was considering TIG’ing it but I’ll melt the good sections and of the rubber seal I’m sure.

    Any thoughts?
    Yes its going to be a huge pain in the ass ! With the water temp around 160 and the detergent ,it will eat away at silicone .....
    Im not sure on that model if it uses actually seals or has that real gummy sticky stuff that Hobart supplies when receiving new unit ?
    Taking it apart wont be easy !
    You got nothing to lose at this point , trying sealing inside and outside with a product like Permatex ... or J B Weld ......damn if crack was big enough spray foam....hahaha.......let me know how u made out.....I will try to talk to my contacts at Hobart and ask , but there going to say take apart

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,628
    Post Likes
    truck bed liner. go on their off day. sand and clean it. roll bed liner across the seam. once it sets it's forever.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3
    Post Likes
    Dont weld it. Let the machine dry up a period and find some "permagum" or non toxic sticky tack and jam it down the seam then put a bead of high temp latex silicone over the gum and let cure for a day before using the machine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,557
    Post Likes
    As much as I am a fan of welding everything, I don't recommend it, unless you plan on welding the entire seam, you won't be able to do just one section without frying the seal on the rest.

    I did some crack repair welding on a cooling tower base here some weeks or months ago, was 8" or so away from the corner of the tank and it had a silicone sealant in it, opened it right up and it had to be resealed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Likes
    We've got many rolls of this r-e-a-l-l-y sticky, gray stuff on our Hobart shelf at work. From what the guys tell me, it's used to seal the seams on Hobart machines during assembly.
    My guess is that it was left behind by Hobart techs at some point during some installs. We have seventeen Hobarts on property (ALL sizes), so that's probably the case.

    I'll see if any of it has a part number still attached and post it here.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

    "You never know what others don't know." -

    If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

  7. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    I'll see if any of it has a part number still attached and post it here.
    Here it is:
    https://thesmartpartsestore.hobartse...rtby=BESTMATCH

    After an unboxing:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

    "You never know what others don't know." -

    If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The triangle in the Keystone
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thank you. That looks like the stuff that Wells sends with their hot wells. I have some but certainly not that much!

    I still haven’t decided what to do. I want to call a company like 3M and see what they recommend. A lot of the ideas here sound good too so we’ll see.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The triangle in the Keystone
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Update:

    I decided to seal the seam with an epoxy. I did a ridiculous amount of research to make sure that the epoxy I chose was ok to use in a dishwasher, wouldn’t break down from the chemicals, would adhere to stainless, could be submerged, etc etc. I had to get the MSDS of the chemicals and their concentrations. Let me tell you, that info is VERY closely guarded. In the end I found a company out of England called Belzona. They sold me a product for about $400. The material itself would have fit in a pop can. Not much for the cost. As I mixed it together I could tell this stuff was the real deal. It just felt and smelled different than anything else I’ve used. I roughened the surface of the stainless and put it on and let it sit for about 16 hours. I stopped by a few days later and checked on it. It was solid as rock and not leaking.

    I think if I run into this again I’m going to try a cheaper product first. This customer was adamant that if this epoxy fix didn’t work that I’d be splitting the dishwasher in two and replacing the seal. So to make sure that it worked I went with the expensive product. I’m not sure it was necessary but I wasn’t taking any chances.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The triangle in the Keystone
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    2nd update:

    The epoxy failed after about 3 weeks. The customer had two more companies come in after me and try to repair but they couldn’t so I absorbed this headache once more.

    I needed to split the unit and replace the seal but I couldn’t find the part number for the seal. I called Hobart and over the course of an hour I was able to narrow it down to two different seals. They offered a sticky black seal and a foam seal. Two guys were at Hobart were adamant that the foam seal is what was used. I ordered it along with a bunch of other o-rings and seals. When it came in, as soon as I saw the foam I said “nope, that won’t work”. The other seal was on back order for 2 weeks and with the State due any day to inspect the facility we had to do something. I’m sure that seal that ECtofix shared would have worked but alas I ended up using a bunch of RTV. I’m pretty sure it’s going to leak again but the customer passed his state inspection so he’s happy. I told him when it leaks again we’re going to have to do the same job all over again and use the correct seal.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,557
    Post Likes
    Just weld it, is it weldable?

    TIG it and It'll never leak.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The triangle in the Keystone
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    Just weld it, is it weldable?

    TIG it and It'll never leak.
    We really considered it. Once we had it all apart we bounced ideas back and forth for about two hours on what to do. The reason we didn’t weld it is because our fabricator didn’t think he could do it. He’s young and while I thought he could handle it, he didn’t.

    Once I realized the seal we ordered was wrong I wanted to put a long strip of rubber in there. But we couldn’t find something in town. So RTV was.

    We completed the job on Oct 9th. Hopefully it lasts for ever.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,557
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    We really considered it. Once we had it all apart we bounced ideas back and forth for about two hours on what to do. The reason we didn’t weld it is because our fabricator didn’t think he could do it. He’s young and while I thought he could handle it, he didn’t.

    Once I realized the seal we ordered was wrong I wanted to put a long strip of rubber in there. But we couldn’t find something in town. So RTV was.

    We completed the job on Oct 9th. Hopefully it lasts for ever.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. What's hard to handle? TIG it and be done with it, what was his concern?

    Fair enough, hopefully it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •