Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 135
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,156
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I find this forum section fascinating.

    People post a wish list for employees.

    People ask questions.

    Generally, there is no public response to the questions.

    ....and the beat goes on.
    1 way street normally.. list of demands, clear and concise.... Benefits and salary, vague wording or missing all together.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    30,455
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    1 way street normally.. list of demands, clear and concise.... Benefits and salary, vague wording or missing all together.
    ...all of which is pretty much a red flag from where I sit.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  3. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    $25+/HR., Paid health insurance,bonuses for exceptional work, vacations, annual company sponsored vacation (last year was a cruise).

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, working under tarps
    Posts
    918
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkeraire View Post
    $25+/HR., Paid health insurance,bonuses for exceptional work, vacations, annual company sponsored vacation (last year was a cruise).

    okay, why didn't you say you were looking for a second year apprentice.....

    sorry about that.

  5. Likes ksefan liked this post
  6. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    17,050
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkeraire View Post
    $25+/HR., Paid health insurance,bonuses for exceptional work, vacations, annual company sponsored vacation (last year was a cruise).
    Good pay for 1985! LOL

  7. Likes ksefan liked this post
  8. #19
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    22,100
    Post Likes
    For Florida, that might be decent pay. Cost of living is so low. Don't know from personal experience.

    Worked with a guy from Florida at the last place I was. This would have been a few years ago, but for residential I think he said that $20 per hour was about it.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

  9. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    307
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkeraire View Post
    $25+/HR., Paid health insurance,bonuses for exceptional work, vacations, annual company sponsored vacation (last year was a cruise).
    Who gets to be on call while the company is on a cruise?
    Max Igan - Surviving the Matrix - Episode 357 - American Voice Radio, November 30th, 2018

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhb-gvgTPM

  10. Likes ksefan liked this post
  11. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    30,455
    Post Likes
    Just so I completely understand.

    A "top" HVAC tech in Florida makes the same wage as a UA apprentice in Philly, not yet passing the test to become a journeyman??

    With everything except a house costing just about the same amount in both places, how does one ever find "top" help there?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  12. Likes ksefan liked this post
  13. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    3,211
    Post Likes
    Florida is a "right to work" (for less) state, wages are low and cost of living extremely high.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  14. Likes ksefan liked this post
  15. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, working under tarps
    Posts
    918
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkeraire View Post
    $25+/HR., Paid health insurance,bonuses for exceptional work, vacations, annual company sponsored vacation (last year was a cruise).

    it is seems, from all recent accounts, you are in a pickle

    you will never find quality mechanics and that price point,

    good luck.

  16. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    30,455
    Post Likes
    I have long held a firm axiom in HR.

    You never have to advertise good jobs.

    That may seem counter intuitive, but in my lifetime, I have never been hired to a good job through any kind of company outreach or advertising. I instead heard about them through others. Plus, it is very rare for a good company to need to hire anyone, because they a) hire good quality people at the outset, by offering what the employee knows is a good deal, and b) the good, well-compensated employees rarely leave there once hired.

    So, when I see a large outfit that needs to advertise a job, it is because someone left for a BETTER job than the one being advertised. The job he left for...was not being advertised.

    Note: some government entities must advertise jobs by law, in accordance with anti-discrimination legislation. Government does not care if you are any good at a job. You just have to be in a protected class, and you are gold to them.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  17. Likes ksefan liked this post
  18. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    275
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I have long held a firm axiom in HR.

    You never have to advertise good jobs.

    That may seem counter intuitive, but in my lifetime, I have never been hired to a good job through any kind of company outreach or advertising. I instead heard about them through others. Plus, it is very rare for a good company to need to hire anyone, because they a) hire good quality people at the outset, by offering what the employee knows is a good deal, and b) the good, well-compensated employees rarely leave there once hired.

    So, when I see a large outfit that needs to advertise a job, it is because someone left for a BETTER job than the one being advertised. The job he left for...was not being advertised.

    Note: some government entities must advertise jobs by law, in accordance with anti-discrimination legislation. Government does not care if you are any good at a job. You just have to be in a protected class, and you are gold to them.
    Agreed, but I will say sometimes guys leave not because the company has issues. Like we had a guy move to another part of the state because he just wanted to get away from San Diego and start fresh with his new wife and son. Granted the 3 places I've worked so far in this industry none have been from job postings they have been from just knowing the right people. Also it's been my experience that many union companies, short of the large national ones, dont really post jobs online.

    Like you said the government has to post jobs by law. But about 95% of the jobs are filled long before a posting goes up. You can usually tell because the requirements are oddly specific. They literally copy someone's resume experience and post that as the requirements. My issues with USAJobs and other govt hiring processes are many and topics for another threads.

  19. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sea to Sky
    Posts
    3,011
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    it is seems, from all recent accounts, you are in a pickle

    you will never find quality mechanics and that price point,

    good luck.
    He should be overjoyed if he finds some below average mechanics at that price.

    Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •