+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have the LoFlo Alnor 6200?

Post Likes

Anyone have the LoFlo Alnor 6200?

I just picked up a new one on eBay for a steal. Well, I’m hoping it’s new like advertised.

I like the fact that it does low volume, has a short total hood height, and can be used without the skirt for smaller vents.

So, does anyone use and like this model? I, coming to realize large hoods are hard to fit some applications. This one seems like a perfect fit.

I can’t seem to find the manual on it. Does it use a Hotwire instead of a pitot array?
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I had one on loan they were trying to sell me. I had 5 flow hoods and didn't want to buy another. My balancers loved it. Compared to the Shortridge hoods we had they said it was right on. I don't know if it was hotwire because I never used it myself. It was fantastic for balancing offices.

3. Likes mgenius33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you Wayne, I appreciate your expertise. I've always been very interested in testing air flow since taking college physics and the math courses helped to understand how to use the calculations.

Problem was, as a younger tech it's difficult to afford the real tools like a quality flow hoods, micro-manometer with true auto zeroing function, calibrated duct test fan, etc.. I too am finding the vane only to be useful on exact grille comparisons where you can take the exact reading from an identical grille in order to create a custom k factor.

Now that I have invested some real money in the equipment, I'm finding the hot wire to be much more useful compared to the vane. Another thing I noticed with the vane, if the vane is larger it may overlap the grille outside of the air flow and read differently than a smaller diameter vane fully covered in the airflow.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions about the vane.

Nothing to be taken away from the Testo 417, as it's very repeatable, but all vane's have this issue. Testo has gone further to encorporate the funnels and flow straightener to help. I just don't know if I want to spend the time when there's easier, more accurate methods available.

If you have time can you please address this post: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....so-differently
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I read your other thread and made minimal comments. You are approaching TAB much in the same way I did after I got into it. I encourage you to keep going because if you do you will learn more than the average balancer. You are going to learn things by experiment that even TAB guys don't want to admit. Unlike most fields the best way to do things isn't always the easiest. Things that most people think are tried and true may not be. My curiosity started when a measured static wouldn't come close to fitting on the fan curve. I learned that static pressure measurements were approximate and could seldom be accurately measured. Accurately measured airflow is the best indicator of actual static pressure. Most techs don't want to hear that because statics are easy to get. Remember the fan sees the true static even if you can't.
    NEBB, Union TABB and ASHRA all have an excellent book on balancing. If all you are going to do is residential you may not need them but they all have similar and good information. TAB is a field you can work in when you get old enough that you can't or no longer want to do the more labor intensive jobs. For me it is actually fun most of the time. I'm almost 77 and still enjoy doing a job occasional.
    Your progress has been interesting and I will follow it and comment if there is something I can add.

Post Likes
    Love it!

Wayne: Buying and using hood, velometer and manometer is how I started in 1983 and you are right on!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I just picked up a new one on eBay for a steal. Well, I’m hoping it’s new like advertised.

I like the fact that it does low volume, has a short total hood height, and can be used without the skirt for smaller vents.

So, does anyone use and like this model? I, coming to realize large hoods are hard to fit some applications. This one seems like a perfect fit.
    I've been using an Alnor LoFlo hood for years.
    It lives in the van (doesn't stay behind at the shop) and gets used quite often. The big advantage is it's light weight and smaller dimensions than larger hoods. Also, you can use it without the hood installed which makes it great for accessing certain grilles, reggies & diffusers that are in tight spots. One downside to the LoFlo that I have: it doesn't have an auto "off" - if somebody leaves the switch on and then places the meter into it's case the batteries will be dead within a few hours.

Post Likes
    This is getting scary, W: I'll be 77 in June!

I love attics and crawl spaces, but I don't get around much anymore. I'm thinking the 4 stone I've added since 83 might be part of the reason.

Post Likes
    I was loaned the Alnor low flow hood but didn't buy it because I already had 5 flow hoods. I liked it because it could be used to read diffusers above cubical walls and was great in the toilets. I checked it against my other hoods and the accuracy and repeatability was good.
    Yeah ferd I'm now approaching 78 (I'm a June bug also) and have had to slow down somewhat. Not because I can't go as usual but what might happen if I do. It's all part of piling up the years.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in