+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Induced current or shorted wire

Post Likes

Induced current or shorted wire

I'm trying to figure out why two wires from my thermostat cable are inducing a current. Both units and both cables. When the unit is started I'll get about 6 to 10 volts AC between those two wires and it seems to increase when the blower turns on. Wires are connected to N/O setpoints and are not connected to any volage source during testing. Has anyone ran into a issue like this? I’m trying to eliminate that current because I’m using it for dc signaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    If you disconnect the wires from the board (I know it's N.O.) do you still have the induced current? If yes, then the problem lies in where the wire is running to and from. If not, then the problem lies in the board.

Signaling cables are usually shielded. you may have to run different wires, too.
    Nest is POO!!

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Voltage can be read whether it’s connected or not. There is a static voltage and as 24v components get turned(relays,contactors), on voltage increases. By passing yellow cooling wire and turning on contactor from r shows no voltage increase. On those setpoints.current induced on green and white wires.

Post Likes
    If it's truly disconnected from everything and you have just wires end to end, AND there's induced power, you need to start looking where the wire runs:

- next to ballasts
    - along other high voltage wiring
    - near transformers

and the like
    Nest is POO!!

6. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ve notice this same issue on another system under similar Conditions. It seems the extra non used thermostat wires within the same sleeve of the live ones induce voltage, I’ve read about 2 to 4 volts ac. Is this your similar experience?

Post Likes
    There was a problem similar to that with Lennox thermostats. The wires often picked up "signals" from other wiring. The solution was to use either shielded cables or a very specific way of grounding the unused wires.
    Nest is POO!!

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in