Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Likes
    I mostly want to walk...I did zoned HVAC on his personal house two years ago and we are both happy with result. I'm not self employed anymore and have been working too much for these technical complications. I've done 40 hours since Friday. I got home "early" today at 7pm. I do stuff right the first time, don't like surprises but that puts the burden on now. I've finally got some firm data to go on, builder realizes details matter and this will be costly.

I talked to Poolpak today. My cost on unit was exactly the BTUS of one ton of cooling. WOW

Define crap equipment? I don't have experience doing pool stuff and trying to wade through the BS.

With pool cover off will be evaporating 4-5 pints/hr. Hello firm data!

Thanks for the BASIC pool info, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    OP."will extraordinary means be needed" Post #11. WHAT?
    OP "Pool stuff= headache" WHAT??
    OP I think that a little attitude adjustment is needed here. As said by others, DO IT RIGHT or walk away.

This GC that you have been working w/ for years, he will not like you so much any more if you sell him crap equipment in a crap pool structure using crap ambiguous formulas. I have good factory info/knowledge/LAWS/rules/Engineering backup for each NATATORIUM that I work on. And there are a lot of "things" that make a Good Proper Pool System run correctly. You can download lots & lots of studying/reading material on BASIC pool info. LOTS OF INFO!!!!!!

2. Likes hvacskills liked this post
    Post Likes
    Using "regular" HVAC equipment in a Pool Enclosure is considered as "crap".

LOL, how can I possibly tell you ANYTHING beyond "Basic" info w/o knowing how lousy the structure is? Thats why YOU talk to the Pool People. They will dictate how the building is supposed to be construction. The layout of the duct system is also critical to efficiency. Having the humidity removed from the air and converted into condensate and having the condensate returned to the pool also helps. Using some outdoor air can also help.

Is there any talk about a Jacuzzi.?

Post Likes
    The lowest quote so far is a ton of BTU's of dollars. Thats stupid money for this small pool. The Pool people want to sell stuff, I know, I made 750.00 selling stuff this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Using "regular" HVAC equipment in a Pool Enclosure is considered as "crap".

LOL, how can I possibly tell you ANYTHING beyond "Basic" info w/o knowing how lousy the structure is? Thats why YOU talk to the Pool People. They will dictate how the building is supposed to be construction. The layout of the duct system is also critical to efficiency. Having the humidity removed from the air and converted into condensate and having the condensate returned to the pool also helps. Using some outdoor air can also help.

Is there any talk about a Jacuzzi.?

Post Likes
    I wouldn’t use regular equipment for a pool room.
    As my example showed in a previous post, it isn’t going to last.
    Nanitorium conditioning is big bucks. Equipment is expensive, and it uses a fair amount of energy.
    Even covered, you can get decent evaporation back into the room.
    What’s your design room temperature, pool temperature, and humidity?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Cheap equip, not designed for indoor pools, will cost a lot more in the long run. Damage to the indoor structure will cost more to repair.
    UA Local 32

7. Likes hvacskills liked this post
    Post Likes
    Buying/building an indoor pool and complaining about the price of the equipment is like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the cost of parts and high octane fuel.

First world problems.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

9. Likes coolwhip, pecmsg, hvacskills liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post
    The lowest quote so far is a ton of BTU's of dollars. Thats stupid money for this small pool. The Pool people want to sell stuff, I know, I made 750.00 selling stuff this week.
    You keep complaining about the cost but what is it percentage wise of the total job? Whats it going to cost if somethings wrong? With Poolpack something fails they have to pick up the tab, with your design build you pay!

11. Likes hvacskills liked this post
    Post Likes
    Your builder will think better of you if you're honest and tell him that this pool system is not your area of expertise, and drop the project. I've had to tell people I can't do their specialty project, and they are happy to come back to me for the normal stuff that I do know how to do. But don't leave him totally hanging, at least get him some kind of referral to a manufacturer who can then give him a lead on a contractor to do the sizing and install.

Post Likes
    We have installed several dry-o-tron / Seresco units with very good results. In fact I think we'll be doing one in about a month that with dump the heat directly into the geothermal loop.

Post Likes
    He is aware. The residential indoor pool thing is also rare and I'd guess most HVAC pros haven't dealt with it especially in my area of MI.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Your builder will think better of you if you're honest and tell him that this pool system is not your area of expertise, and drop the project. I've had to tell people I can't do their specialty project, and they are happy to come back to me for the normal stuff that I do know how to do. But don't leave him totally hanging, at least get him some kind of referral to a manufacturer who can then give him a lead on a contractor to do the sizing and install.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat View Post
    We have installed several dry-o-tron / Seresco units with very good results. In fact I think we'll be doing one in about a month that with dump the heat directly into the geothermal loop.
    I’ve worked on some Seresco units. They seem nice, and had good factory support. Canadian made.
    The main factory guy I talked to was named Jerry. Friendly guy that knew his stuff.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    I replaced a HX in a Weil Mclain mod con today. The owner paid $ to install 10 years prior and paid another $ for new HX today. My point is I wouldn't sell mod cons to friends because the total cost of ownership is stupid. The warranties on fancy stuff sucks. 80% cast boiler 20 year warranty. Mod con, 5 to 10 years if cleaned every year?

I'm trying to avoid the above and making some money along the way.

I appreciate replies BTW.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-21-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post
    He is aware. The residential indoor pool thing is also rare and I'd guess most HVAC pros haven't dealt with it especially in my area of MI.
    It’s not really rare. Just specialized.
    Those who work on commercial nanitorium equipment should be able to work on the smaller stuff too.
    My company doesn’t do residential hvac. But we have many residential customers we work for who have indoor pools.
    You’ll want to make sure this is done right the first time. Mold remediation is very expensive. We just finished a job at a hotel where the customers old unit broke down and they decided not to fix it for several months. The entire pool room had to be gutted to the studs. The mold had grown in the walls all over everything.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast