Post Likes

York YVAA0248CSV Chiller, Speed drive blew up.

And by blew up, I mean went up like Roman candle. Must've been quite the arc flash show before it took out all three 800 amp line fuses. Also took a bunch of other stuff with it. I'm looking at about $50k in parts, my cost. Needless to say, customer is less than happy.

Not too sure what killed it. I'm thinking either it took a helluva power spike or the coolant pump failed and it over heated. Won't know if the coolant pump actually works until I can get power restored to the chiller and change out a couple of control boards.

I did meg the compressors, fan motors and coolant pump..all were good. Several of the power resistors megged low, I ordered all new ones. The boards that run the drive were cooked, one did have some green fuzz on it in a few places, maybe it shorted out a chip and sent the self destruct command to the drive. Dunno.

Sure world like to know if there's anything specific I should be looking at before I flip the switch.

Or if this is just a common thing with these units when they get older.

Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Dirt! A build up of dirt can become conductive. Throw that together with a 600V+ DC bus and you'll have problems. Seen many a failures that way, from small VFDs on fan motors to chiller drives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    I haven't heard of one of those self destructing. Lots of things could cause issues from water to vermin.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Technically speaking, they are all heat pumps.

Post Likes
    Should have shut down on high temperature long before the smoke came out. Dirt could have been a problem. How about moisture? Were the top locks on doors closed? The only one we have had blow up was twelve years old. Lighting hit the building and surged the 480 VAC. Customer caught it on the security cameras.
    Had to replace the pole assembly and logic board. Still up and running.
    Check if there was a power problem in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Verify the electrical penetrations have the proper gaskets and seals / gaskets . Was this failure found after the recent " WEATHER EVENT " ? What elevation from sea level is the unit located ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILLERSVCMAN View Post
    Verify the electrical penetrations have the proper gaskets and seals / gaskets . Was this failure found after the recent " WEATHER EVENT " ? What elevation from sea level is the unit located ?
    Was found two weeks ago when we had a couple of days in the 80's after a long stretch of cold weather.

It's on top of a 6 story building which probably sits around 30-40 feet above sea level, give or take a few. It's approx 50 miles inland from the ocean.

Post Likes
    Does the customer have any Power Factor Correction capacitors fitted on his Utility that may be common to the Power Supply for the chiller? DC buss caps may have failed or as others say, dirt,dust and moisture can be a big culprit.
    As for Fan VFD's if the VFD comes up with a message saying 'Drive Not Responding' try unplugging the little cooling fan on top , that is the cause of the issue, you can by better fans , usually locally

Post Likes
    An outdoor unit is always susceptible moisture, especially when you have rapid changes in the ambient conditions. Check that all the electrical cabinets close tightly. I had a Trane CVAA blow the starter cabinet apart. This was a 480vac wye/delta closed transition. It had a small screw hole on top just above the contactors. With the flashover this was a complete starter rebuild. Compressor motor made it through, had low meg readings, but an oil, oil filter and replacement of all the strainers and filters brought it back up.
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    I'm curious does this chiller run year around. Hopefully the microboard is still good might be able to get fault history out of it. Usually those things are pretty tough and with all the safeties that really surprises me. Had one with broken main on input of the inductor and still run on 2 legs cause dc buss never got low enough til both compressor got up to speed then failed. Had another on factory startup bleed resistor on back wall behind compressor cables wire popped off and cause so minor fireworks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk