Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    All you need is a 3 phase motor about twice the size of the largest motor you plan to run, a hard start kit from an a/c to start it, momentarily start-stop switch, a relay, contactor and some capacitors (I save the old good pcb oil ones). All of which you can get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Supa-Heat View Post
    Tell me more about this simple and cheap 3 phase converter... all options Ive seen are pricy and intensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    and dont forget- you have to start the converter every time you want to start the unit you want to use.

OR, like my friend...

Let it run 24/7/365

Post Likes
    It's just a matter of pushing two buttons instead of one, or just let it run while you're working.

4. Likes HVAC_Marc, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    my friend sold his 3 phase soft serve machine and bought a water cooled unit instead

Post Likes
    Please note that the NEC only permits backfeeding a transformer if the manufacturers instructions permit it, see NEC art. 450.11(B) which was added in the 2014 edition.

Post Likes
    I have a fish processing customer that only has a 208 3ph service to their plant. I have had to install 3 transformers this year to supply new 480 V equipment and to supply shipping containers. Any 480-208 3 ph step down transformer has worked. I have had one unit that would not produce more than 430 v no matter the tap connections and I had another 150 kva xformer that would not go lower than 500 volts.

I also have fed single ph 240 to 3ph VFD's and they power 3ph motors just fine. I suppose you could feed the output of the VFD into a 3ph transformer to supply a 480 motor and it would function fine???

Post Likes
    Oh and before anyone says you can't do this by code. All of these projects were done according to PE stamped design and mfg. instructions and signed off by AHJ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12