Post Likes

Exclamation Rheem Cased Aluminum Coil Question

Hello,

I recently purchased a Rheem 2 stage furnace with a 2.5 ton classic Rheem condenser, I have heard that the Rheem cased coil is prone to freezups due to its zig zag design? Have you heard any problems about this. If so what is your recommendation for a replacement coil?

Thank You

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rsuren View Post
    I have heard that the Rheem cased coil is prone to freezups due to its zig zag design?
    You have heard? from who?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

Post Likes
    Several homeowners who had this system installed??

Post Likes
    Several homeowners who had this system installed??
    Here's how you can find out for yourself, because I'm betting it's an installation issue. Go look at your job, or the homeowners jobs that say they have had freeze up issues, and see if the installer, installed that 6" transition piece "in the picture below" between the furnace and coil, if not, there's your the problem.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

Post Likes
    Thank You, I will check it out.

Thanks again

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Here's how you can find out for yourself, because I'm betting it's an installation issue. Go look at your job, or the homeowners jobs that say they have had freeze up issues, and see if the installer, installed that 6" transition piece "in the picture below" between the furnace and coil, if not, there's your the problem.
    So is this necessary for all ruud/rheem n coils or only when they are wider than the furnace?

Post Likes
    Hello,

I recently purchased a Rheem 2 stage furnace with a 2.5 ton classic Rheem condenser, I have heard that the Rheem cased coil is prone to freezups due to its zig zag design? Have you heard any problems about this. If so what is your recommendation for a replacement coil?

Thank You
    They freeze up because of a Install Issue(s)!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    So is this necessary for all ruud/rheem n coils or only when they are wider than the furnace?
    I'm not sure it's necessary for all of them, but with the Rheem/Ruud coils it's hard to find one of their coils that don't hang over their furnaces, except maybe in the low tonnage range. We have actually had to go back on some other companies installs, and correct them by adding a transition because of freezing up issues. There was a lady that come here last year that lives in Houston, "that thread may be history" was having a freezing up issue with her Ruud coil, and we corrected her issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    If mounted on a Oil Furnace then yes.............

Its just good practice!

Post Likes
    unfortunately for us all of our gas is in the city limits and being older homes the basements have rather low ceilings. Sometimes as low as 5' and 6' is more common. so we do not always have room for bottom returns or transitions to the coils especially now that some of the coils are even taller.

Post Likes
    That's why they make Low Boy furnaces!