Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    Now that there is just silly.

In the '20s and '30s, American actions CHOKED countries and caused them to retaliate to survive. Japan was cut off from oil and decided to seize its own. Germany was choked by stifling debt payments. I don't know what the Italians were thinking!

Business has dealt with the stifling regulations of the US bureaucracies for years and will overcome the challenges of a measly tariff. We trained the foreign business people too.

It is not like we are boycotting all of them, well, maybe North Korea.
    I don't think we can compare times and conditions. It's as much about the potential for tit for tat and the national pride of Countries. No Country in this day and age wants to be seen or perceived as weak or acquiescing(God bless spell check). Most Countries nowadays would likely cut their own nose to spite their face rather than have it look like another country got the best of them. The risk of provoking retaliation and a trade war, where there are few or no winners is concerning almost every world economist inside and outside of America. Trump is playing with fire and not a full deck IMO. His inner circle is shrinking daily, which limits his ability to govern and his stability.

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    it’s time someone is working at stopping china from dumping their government owned and government subsidized steel and aluminum on the us market . maybe we should just drop the environmental requirements and fire the union on the steel and aluminum industry and then they could could compete with China
    Biggest exporter of steel and aluminium to the U.S is...Canada.

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    How many of you guy's have worked in manufacturing? It is not good nor high paying work in this day and age.

But let's consider further what manufacturing we want to focus on. Do we want to artificially prop up steel manufacturing with the profits from the US industries that are competitive? Or buy cheap steel and manufacture higher tech goods that sell for a higher profit margin?

We don't need isolation, we need IP development and IP protection.

6. Likes Brian8383, DavidDeBord, mcr liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    If we bring some more manufacturing back to America and build all these new factories, who is going to work in them?

Where I live we can’t even find people to work at the factories and businesses we already have.
    There are millions of sloths and scumbags not working and not even looking. So the 4.5% unemployment rate doesn't count them. Cut their benefits. Force them to buy toilet paper to wipe their own behinds and buy he food they stuff in their faces.

We have plenty of warm bodied potential workers. Make them work. Everyone wins. Especially them.

8. Likes ga-hvac-tech, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    There are millions of sloths and scumbags not working and not even looking. So the 4.5% unemployment rate doesn't count them. Cut their benefits. Force them to buy toilet paper to wipe their own behinds and buy he food they stuff in their faces.

We have plenty of warm bodied potential workers. Make them work. Everyone wins. Especially them.
    I agree

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    How many of you guy's have worked in manufacturing? It is not good nor high paying work in this day and age.

But let's consider further what manufacturing we want to focus on. Do we want to artificially prop up steel manufacturing with the profits from the US industries that are competitive? Or buy cheap steel and manufacture higher tech goods that sell for a higher profit margin?

We don't need isolation, we need IP development and IP protection.
    David, I am sure you understand....

That this 'threat' of a trade war... is more posturing than fact.

I will believe it when it is signed into law...

Until them... it is verbal political fodder... to play the game of politics.

IMO... a student of the game(s) of politics... needs to learn: the REAL meat of a situation, is in the space between the lines... NOT in the soundbyte or headline.

Usually, if one follows the $$$ trail... they will find the real meat!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

11. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Smoot-Hawley act was a big factor in the great depression of the 30's. Tariffs....

I can see having a spot policy of some tariffs on country's that tariff our products, but as long as the taxes are equitable in both directions, we should leave well enough alone. Blanket tariffs against even Canada are exceedingly foolish.
    You are correct. Tariffs are stupid and the only hope I have is Trump has something up his sleeve. Perhaps it's a negotiating tactic. Perhaps he plans on making it incredibly temporary. He has to know tariffs are a net loss for American workers. And a possible catastrophe.

Here is something worth 20 minutes of anyone's time who hasn't heard Mark Levin's taken on tariffs and it's place in the cause of the Great Depression.

We've made these mistakes before. And they also have been cloaked in "populism". Right wing progressivism is still progressivism and it's just as damaging to the country as whacko leftist progressivism.

13. Likes DavidDeBord, ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    I agree
    We deal with these dirt bags every week or two. They have no job and haven't had one in months or years. They come in for a job interview. I can't tell you how often I hear them ask exactly what they will bring home every month. We tell them the hourly rate but they want the exact dollar amount in their paycheck. Many have no idea how much is taken out for taxes and other things. But they want to know so they can compare how much they bring home in welfare benefits. Some have come out and explicitly said so. Most find out and turn down any offer if one is given.

15. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    David, I am sure you understand....

That this 'threat' of a trade war... is more posturing than fact.

I will believe it when it is signed into law...

Until them... it is verbal political fodder... to play the game of politics.

IMO... a student of the game(s) of politics... needs to learn: the REAL meat of a situation, is in the space between the lines... NOT in the soundbyte or headline.

Usually, if one follows the $$$ trail... they will find the real meat!
    I'm hoping you are correct, GA. It does fit his personality and his negotiating style.
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

17. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    GA, I hope that Trump does not act on these tariffs, and I believe those around him/congress are going to try hard to prevent it if he is being serious. But I am quickly loosing patience/hope that he has some secret game-plan in his head.

19. Likes DavidDeBord, Brian8383 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I don't think we can compare times and conditions. It's as much about the potential for tit for tat and the national pride of Countries. No Country in this day and age wants to be seen or perceived as weak or acquiescing(God bless spell check). Most Countries nowadays would likely cut their own nose to spite their face rather than have it look like another country got the best of them. The risk of provoking retaliation and a trade war, where there are few or no winners is concerning almost every world economist inside and outside of America. Trump is playing with fire and not a full deck IMO. His inner circle is shrinking daily, which limits his ability to govern and his stability.

I Agree Newold,

What happened back in the 20s-30s, compared to now, SMH, ..... The Outcome, in My Belief, is going to be drastically different.

The Mindset of the World, Today, as well as the Power/ Resources of the united States, are in My Belief, drastically different than in the 20s & 30s.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    We deal with these dirt bags every week or two. They have no job and haven't had one in months or years. They come in for a job interview. I can't tell you how often I hear them ask exactly what they will bring home every month. We tell them the hourly rate but they want the exact dollar amount in their paycheck. Many have no idea how much is taken out for taxes and other things. But they want to know so they can compare how much they bring home in welfare benefits. Some have come out and explicitly said so. Most find out and turn down any offer if one is given.
    I know this is referencing a different thread... the one about SA...

However how do these dirtbags, who have one thing in mind... figuring out if they can get the same $$$ without working....
    How do they increase GDP???

They do NOT!!!

So to say GDP per capita is more important than just GDP...

Well that is govt style economics, rather than business style economics...

And we know how wonderful the results are (NOT) when we let the govt run things!

Sorry for the hijack...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

22. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Trump failed into becoming a multi-billionaire. I haven't figured out how to do that so I must be a success. Back in the 90's Chinese steel was so bad it had to be banned on many projects. In war time suppose we imported that crap or something similar and used it on advanced air craft. I can't think of a better way to bring a plane down without firing a shot. In general I am against tariffs because most of the time if there is a winner it is the governments that successfully charge and get the money. In this case cost to the consumer has to take a back seat because we need manufacturers in the event of war. If we can't produce the steel and are cut off from foreign sources we will be in the same position Japan was in during WW11.
    Several years back the U.S. built a plant to produce rocket fuel. The reason was that the only source was foreign and if that was cut off we were in trouble. The plant was mothballed because there wasn't a present need. We have to protect our steel and aluminum production industry for the same reason. It may not be pleasant but we simply can't let them all die.
    Sometimes you have to put the country first and that is now.

24. Likes ga-hvac-tech, DavidDeBord liked this post
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast