Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Likes

Despite "The Greatest Economy Ever," 40% Of American Families Still Struggling

by Tyler Durden
    Sun, 05/19/2019 - 22:00

"With the economic expansion almost a decade old, the unemployment rate has fallen to five-decade lows, and real wage growth has modestly expanded.

President Trump has touted today's economic environment as "the greatest economy ever," despite a new study showing 40% of Americans struggle to afford housing, utilities, food and or health care."

"The Federal Reserve's monetary policies of the past ten years attempted to generate the wealth effect: by driving the valuations of stock, bonds, and real estate higher, so that people would feel wealthier.

However, 58% of people don't own stocks, and another 35% don't own real estate - which means many Americans didn't fully participate in the sextupling of the stock market and the doubling of real estate prices.

Forty percent of Americans (ages 18 to 65) experienced two or more financial hardships in 2018, statistically the same from 2017. The study concentrated on the first two years of the Trump administration, as well as trying to understand if the debt-fuelled tax cuts would benefit the working class."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ill-struggling
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

by Tyler Durden

"With the economic expansion almost a decade old, the unemployment rate has fallen to five-decade lows, and real wage growth has modestly expanded.

President Trump has touted today's economic environment as "the greatest economy ever," despite a new study showing 40% of Americans struggle to afford housing, utilities, food and or health care."

"The Federal Reserve's monetary policies of the past ten years attempted to generate the wealth effect: by driving the valuations of stock, bonds, and real estate higher, so that people would feel wealthier.

However, 58% of people don't own stocks, and another 35% don't own real estate - which means many Americans didn't fully participate in the sextupling of the stock market and the doubling of real estate prices.

Forty percent of Americans (ages 18 to 65) experienced two or more financial hardships in 2018, statistically the same from 2017. The study concentrated on the first two years of the Trump administration, as well as trying to understand if the debt-fuelled tax cuts would benefit the working class."

This reminds me of a couple of conversations I have been involved in at different times over the years. The conversation has to do with how in the 50's & 60's one income families seemed to always have money to take a week or two family vacation to some destination yet today with both parents working some with 2 jobs the money is not there for even a staycation for many. The consensus that seems to prevail at the end of these conversations is that today we think we need so many things our parent didn't have, good or bad.

They didn't have cell phones at a grand apiece and a C-note or better monthly bill on top of that. They didn't have a cable bill for the hundreds of channels that don't get watched. They didn't have 2 cars sitting in a garage to run the family in 4 different directions with all the expenses associated. The kids were involved at home or in local things like baseball or other sports which were free with volunteer coaches, not involved with traveling ball teams of dance teams etc with the need to travel around the country for weekend tournaments or competitions.

We have made normal life much more expensive than it use to be and it has cost us dearly both financially and worse yet the devastating affects on the family unit. Consider the cost of many families that use fast food for meals rather than cooking at home and having sit down family dinners. That hits the family hard on both fronts.

The fact is, it does not matter how much money is brought in if more is spent. An old definition of debt is "the appearance of wealth". More people today would rather have the appearance of wealth through the ease of credit rather than the hard work of living within your means and SAVING for the future, building actual wealth. This is a lesson that no one is teaching anymore because even fewer are listening.

Post Likes
    Think I remember having a hardsh!t in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

by Tyler Durden

Forty percent of Americans (ages 18 to 65) experienced two or more hardships in 2018, statistically the same from 2017. The study concentrated on the first two years of the Trump administration, as well as trying to understand if the debt-fuelled tax cuts would benefit the working class."

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    What I taught my son when he was very young, by word and by action, is this:

Son: How much did you make this week?

(some number)

Did you make the same amount last week?

Yes.

How much of last week's money do you have now? Not this week's income - just the money from last week.

I don't have anything left from last week.

Well then; last week you worked for free - you worked for nothing. Don't make that mistake this week. It's not how much you make that counts - it's how much you keep that makes the difference.

And also; you are young and have a long life ahead of you. Invest your savings in the two things which have historically always increased in value. In solid productive companies with consistent profits and in working real estate. Something that does not pay dividends is speculation.

He will be 29 years this coming fall and he recently settled on a $450K house. And I didn't contribute a dollar towards it. Now granted; he has a mortgage for about 50% - but I think he'll be alright. He has no other debt and a fairly substantial portfolio.

So while I am sympathetic towards the 40% of Americans who are struggling despite all the positive happenings in the economy - I don't believe that their plight can't be overcome by them.

And finally: the statement that "40% of Americans are struggling" reads differently to me. To me, what I see, is: 60% of Americans are succeeding. And 60% is well more than half.

Where is That headline?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    This reminds me of a couple of conversations I have been involved in at different times over the years. The conversation has to do with how in the 50's & 60's one income families seemed to always have money to take a week or two family vacation to some destination yet today with both parents working some with 2 jobs the money is not there for even a staycation for many. The consensus that seems to prevail at the end of these conversations is that today we think we need so many things our parent didn't have, good or bad.

They didn't have cell phones at a grand apiece and a C-note or better monthly bill on top of that. They didn't have a cable bill for the hundreds of channels that don't get watched. They didn't have 2 cars sitting in a garage to run the family in 4 different directions with all the expenses associated. The kids were involved at home or in local things like baseball or other sports which were free with volunteer coaches, not involved with traveling ball teams of dance teams etc with the need to travel around the country for weekend tournaments or competitions.

We have made normal life much more expensive than it use to be and it has cost us dearly both financially and worse yet the devastating affects on the family unit. Consider the cost of many families that use fast food for meals rather than cooking at home and having sit down family dinners. That hits the family hard on both fronts.

The fact is, it does not matter how much money is brought in if more is spent. An old definition of debt is "the appearance of wealth". More people today would rather have the appearance of wealth through the ease of credit rather than the hard work of living within your means and SAVING for the future, building actual wealth. This is a lesson that no one is teaching anymore because even fewer are listening.
    BNM,

You also need to consider the Value of the Dollar in the 50s & 60s.

I started out as a HVAC Helper for $1,74 an hour minimum wage, in 1974.

What is Minimum Wage today?

In Fact, .... Back in 1974, I was paying .55 cents for a pack of Winstons, "White Castles were .12 cents", "Dial up Phone Calls at the phone booth were.10cents for a local call", Hamburger was .39 a pound,..... At $1.74, I paid my Rent, bought groceries, raised my two sons that I had gotten custody of, & now & then, with Overtime, I'd get a baby sitter & go out & Party.

The Value of that Dollar has greatly fallen, as Prices have gone up.

Gasoline is on an average $2.89, I roll my own cigarettes with a machine cuz' Winstons are now $7.85, "White Castles are .90 cents", "Phone booths have disappeared", & Hamburger is $4.00 a pound for 80% & $8.00 a pound for ground chuck.

It's not just about "Getting all of the Toys", ...... The Dollar has greatly Crashed in it's Value, & Life has gotten much more Expensive, even without having the best everything.

And , ...It is soon going to get much worse, .... Especially with Red China just did TODAY.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What I taught my son when he was very young, by word and by action, is this:

Son: How much did you make this week?

(some number)

Did you make the same amount last week?

Yes.

How much of last week's money do you have now? Not this week's income - just the money from last week.

I don't have anything left from last week.

Well then; last week you worked for free - you worked for nothing. Don't make that mistake this week. It's not how much you make that counts - it's how much you keep that makes the difference.

And also; you are young and have a long life ahead of you. Invest your savings in the two things which have historically always increased in value. In solid productive companies with consistent profits and in working real estate. Something that does not pay dividends is speculation.

He will be 29 years this coming fall and he recently settled on a $450K house. And I didn't contribute a dollar towards it. Now granted; he has a mortgage for about 50% - but I think he'll be alright. He has no other debt and a fairly substantial portfolio.

So while I am sympathetic towards the 40% of Americans who are struggling despite all the positive happenings in the economy - I don't believe that their plight can't be overcome by them.

And finally: the statement that "40% of Americans are struggling" reads differently to me. To me, what I see, is: 60% of Americans are succeeding. And 60% is well more than half.

Where is That headline?
    You taught Your Son Well Poodle.

And,as far as the Stock Market, I'd advise one to closely monitor it, & be prepared to take out that $$$, if it began to act, like another Great Recession, or Great Depression was coming.

But then again, ... That "Cash" lost it's value also during The Great Depression.

As far as that 60/ 40? Not everyone has been Blessed, as Your Son has, nor do I Know all of the circumstances that has caused the plight of the 40%.

Post Likes

Xi Sends Trump A Message: Rare-Earth Export Ban Is Coming

by Tyler Durden
    Mon, 05/20/2019 - 11:10

"Back in April of 2018, when the trade war with China was still in its early stages, we explained that among the five "nuclear" options Beijing has to retaliate against the US, one was the block of rare-earth exports to the US, potentially crippling countless US supply chains that rely on these rare commodities, and forcing painful and costly delays in US production as alternative supply pathways had to be implemented.

As a result, for many months China watchers expected Beijing to respond to Trump's tariff hikes by blocking the exports of one or more rare-earths, although fast forwarding one year later this still hasn't happened. But that doesn't mean it won't happen, and overnight President Xi Jinping’s visit to a rare earths facility fueled speculation that the strategic materials will soon be weaponized in China’s tit-for-tat war the US.

As Bloomberg reported overnight, shares in JL MAG Rare-Earth surged by the daily limit on Monday after Xinhua said the Chinese president had stopped by the company in Jiangxi, a scripted move designed to telegraph what China could do next.

The reason for the dramatic market response is that the presidential visit flags policy priorities, and "rare earths have featured in the escalating trade spat between the U.S. and China." Specifically, as Bloomberg notes, China raised tariffs to 25% from 10% on American imports, while the U.S. excluded rare earths from its own list of prospective tariffs on roughly $300 billion worth of Chinese goods to be targeted in the next wave of measures. And just in case the White House missed the message, Xi was accompanied on the trip to JL MAG by Liu He, the vice premier who has led the Chinese side in the trade negotiations.

Why does China have a clear advantage in this area? Simple: the U.S. relies on China, the dominant global supplier, for about 80% of its rare earths imports."

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-bl...ase-of-US-mine

Post Likes
    "Overwhelming Military Response Needed": Graham Urges Trump "Stand Firm" On Iran

by Tyler Durden
    Mon, 05/20/2019 - 12:32

"Here we go again — just as tensions seemed to be calming going into the weekend, with Trump distancing himself from some of the more out-front escalatory rhetoric from hawks like Bolton within his own administration last Friday, leave it to who else but Senator Lindsey Graham to ramp things up again. "We must deliver an overwhelming military response," he tweeted in reference to Iran.

Following Saudi claims last week that Iran was behind a Houthi drone attack out of Yemen which targeted an ARAMCO pumping station and pipeline, and after the alleged "sabotage" attack on Saudi and other tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, Graham said early Monday it was "clear" that Iran has "attacked pipelines and ships of other nations" over the past weeks.

Just received a briefing from National Security Advisor Bolton about escalating tensions with Iran.

It is clear that over the last several weeks Iran has attacked pipelines and ships of other nations and created threat streams against American interests in Iraq.
    — Lindsey Graham (@LindseyGrahamSC) May 20, 2019

Interestingly, again we find Bolton pushing this narrative, per Graham's tweet: "Just received a briefing from National Security Advisor Bolton about escalating tensions with Iran. It is clear that over the last several weeks Iran has attacked pipelines and ships of other nations and created threat streams against American interests in Iraq."

And further appearing to acknowledge President Trump's reluctance to let the hawks drag him into yet another useless and futile regime change war in the Middle East, Graham urged, "Stand firm Mr. President".

So now it appears the hawks are waging a full frontal assault to goad the president into war, as even a statement from Iran's foreign minister acknowledged earlier in the day."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tand-firm-iran

Post Likes

Ford CEO Cuts 7,000 Workers As Global Salaried Workforce Decimated

by Tyler Durden
    Mon, 05/20/2019 - 09:30

"In a letter to employees, Ford CEO Jim Hackett has confirmed that the company will eliminate 7,000 jobs, representing 10% of its global salaried workforce - literally, a decimation - as part of the carmaker's multiyear restructuring plan.

The company said Monday that the plan will save about $600 million per year by eliminating bureaucracy and increasing the number of workers reporting to each manager.

In the U.S. about 2,300 jobs will be cut through buyouts and layoffs. About 1,500 white-collar employees have already left the company voluntarily since the restructuring began last year, some taking buyouts. About 500 workers will be let go this week.

Most of Ford's white-collar workers are in and around the company's Dearborn, Michigan, headquarters."

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ried-workforce

Post Likes
    The View by Richard Harris
    China should think hard before using rare earths as a ‘weapon’ in trade tit-for-tat with US over Huawei

The 2010 weaponisation of rare earths rebounded badly on China, even as US sanctions on Huawei look to be doing the same to Americans
    Tit-for-tat action usually ends up in pain for all but, in the long term, competition can also herald change and a fresh economic equilibrium

Richard Harris

Published: 1:00am, 24 May, 2019

Updated: 2:22am, 24 May, 2019

"Rare earth mining is a dirty business and so is a trade tit-for-tat. The unintended effects can be messy and rebound in unexpected ways for the countries involved. Photo: ReutersRare earth mining is a dirty business and so is a trade tit-for-tat. The unintended effects can be messy and rebound in unexpected ways for the countries involved. Photo: Reuters
    Rare earth mining is a dirty business and so is a trade tit-for-tat. The unintended effects can be messy and rebound in unexpected ways for the countries involved. Photo: Reuters
    In 2010, the Chinese woke up to the fact that they were producing 95 per cent of the rare earths
    in the world. The metals, such as lanthanide elements and scandium, are largely used in catalytic converters, rechargeable batteries, powerful miniature magnets and for making very hard alloys used in military armoured vehicles and projectiles.
    They are dirty to mine and, as China is also the biggest user, they made a half-hearted attempt in that year to protect the trade by slashing exports by 40 per cent. Others saw this as an aggressive weaponisation
    of the trade, cornering the market and driving up prices. It worked; prices rose by between 10 and 40 times.

But these neighbouring elements in the periodic table are neither earth nor particularly rare and the action hit demand badly and encouraged substitution, which caused long-term damage to prices and manufacturers.

It was an own goal. Beijing lost a 2012 World Trade Organisation complaint brought by the United States, Japan and the European Union, and the unintended consequences hurt Chinese interests as much as anyone else’s.
    That is why it was interesting to see President Xi Jinping visit
    a rare earth mining facility in Jiangxi province this week as a sign to the US that Beijing, too, could retaliate in trade terms. China still mines over 80 per cent of the world’s rare earth metals. It also illustrates that the use of monopoly powers needs to be used with care — for it can badly rebound.
    President Xi Jinping’s visit to Jiangxi’s rare earth mining base is significant as the province is where China’s defeated Red Army started its fabled Long March in 1934. Photo: Xinhua
    President Xi Jinping’s visit to Jiangxi’s rare earth mining base is significant as the province is where China’s defeated Red Army started its fabled Long March in 1934. Photo: Xinhua
    Share:

The US attack on Huawei has progressed from a sense of unfairness about the stealing of intellectual property, to national snooping of secrets, to an active campaign to permanently hobble the company. The process has now gone so far that it is in danger of rebounding on the Americans."

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight...apon-trade-tit

Post Likes
    Dollar Tree is breaking its $1 promise and rolling out pricier products amid pressure from Trump's tariffs
    Mary Hanbury
    4h

" Dollar Tree's business model is built around operating on a low-margin, high-volume basis. Its theory is that with rock-bottom prices, cash-strapped customers are able to buy more.

But in recent months, the company has been called out by analysts as being one of the most vulnerable to tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

This is because 40% of Dollar Tree's products are sourced from China, and its unique business model means it does not have much room to absorb these costs without eroding margins.

"The tariffs are more difficult for Dollar Tree than rivals because the company has a one-dimensional business model that is not easily flexed or changed," Neil Saunders, the managing director of GlobalData Retail, recently told Business Insider in an email.

Saunders is referring to Dollar Tree's fixed $1 price point, which makes it almost impossible for it to increase costs on the consumer side without changing its entire business model. Moreover, as the very nature of its business is to be cost-cutting, there are very few ways to cut costs elsewhere.

"There is not much fat at any stage of the supply chain," Saunders said, comparing Dollar Tree to Dollar General or Walmart, which have more room to maneuver. "

https://www.businessinsider.com/doll...roducts-2019-5

Post Likes

"If You Weren't Worried Before, Worry Now"

by Tyler Durden
    Fri, 05/31/2019 - 08:15

Submitted by Rabobank's Michael Every

"If you weren’t worried before, worry now.

It hasn’t been China that has been the source of sudden escalation; nor Iran; nor North Korea; nor Turkey, who admittedly gave it a good go in announcing they may install Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missiles in the area of the Mediterranean they are looking for energy in despite protests from the EU’s Cyprus it’s their naval territory; nor even Italy, where Deputy PM Salvini is threatening new elections that would very likely strengthen his hand further has he prepares for battle with Brussels. No, it was Mexico. (Or rather US President Trump, which is less of a surprise.)

Don’t get me wrong. Up until this morning I was going to say that it was China you should worry about the most as the May manufacturing PMI slumped to 49.4, and because June was already looking ugly for CNY (as Bloomberg notes today). Moreover, if you listen to recent statements from the White House, and read tweets from a few key US market participants, you could make a strong argument there will soon be US sanctions placed on China over its alleged concentration camps in Xinjiang. (Which readers who have spoken to me personally may recall I have long been suggesting would be a logical--and powerfully disruptive--‘moral’ weapon for the US to use next.) Yet today we are worried most about Mexico because Trump has just tweeted:

“On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied,....at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow.”

And those details state the tariffs will rise to 10% by 1 July, 15% by 1 August, 20% by 1 September, and 25% by 1 October, where they will remain permanently if that illegal immigration via-Mexico doesn’t stop. Despite some writers no doubt leaping to say this is a Mexican Stand Off, it isn’t: it’s a Mexican Sit On, as in the US is sitting on Mexico with its full, rotund body weight."

"Politically, this is also a mess. US-Mexican relations are going to suffer all over again – and recall the “NAFTA 2.0” USMCA has not yet been finalised and ratified. This will smell much more like NAFTA 0.0 to the Mexicans. Domestically for Trump it might be a winner, however: need for a wall, let tariffs do the work! Yet internationally, the message to China is clearly “We play ultra hardball,” while the actual message China will hear is “I am completely unpredictable and untrustworthy”. Does that sound like a US-China trade deal can be done on terms Beijing will agree to? (“No”, is the answer for those economists who still think this all about economics and hence the answer is automatically “Yes”.)

And what of those businesses who had already been moving supply-chains out of China due to 25% tariffs and who had, logically, thought that the US was happy to see this production shift to close cost-competitor Mexico? You move – and the tariffs follow! So where to go? Vietnam? How long until they are in the firing line too? The US? Really? And will Europe be sleeping soundly knowing the US is capable of escalating tensions with a close ally and trade partner like this? Imagine what German unemployment will look like if the auto sector faces tariffs, or gets wrenched out of the EU heartlands as quid pro quo for NATO; and imagine what EU populism will look like too.

Even if Mexico simply closes its own borders, north and south, this will leave a sour taste in the mouth for years on all sides. Ironically, IF the US long-term strategy is to shift jobs from China to Mexico, and insist on higher wages there too, and then to build a fortress around USMCA against China, that would raise Mexican incomes to the extent that far fewer people would want to move across the border to work in the US. However, while that dynamic might win a Cold War with China some in the markets now agree with me ‘may last the rest of our careers’, it doesn’t win many votes in 2020. Hence we see today’s news."

Post Likes
    I have zero confidence in our el presidente on this issue. He’s just playing to the crowd to get re-elected.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11141516171819202122 LastLast