+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not home related, but for my riding mower...

Post Likes

Question Not home related, but for my riding mower...

This was not purchased to do the chore it is now doing or I would have made a different choice. Now I need to do some add on/upgrades.

My riding mower is now doing night duty with a snowblower. The headlights are worthless, especially with the chute directly in front of one or the other. I have added LED lights, a drill motor and a linear actuator. This has overloaded the stator charging system and therefore I need to do something else.

I cannot add an alternator, there is no place to do so.

Someone suggested a small portable generator. I could add a heater(120VAC), plus use it to power the added items(12VDC). My issue is finding a converter from DC to AC. The converter needs to be waterproof as it will be exposed to the elements(snow/water when it melts).

Ant thought on what I can do or where to find a converter? i have seen a few on Amazon, but am a bit concerned on their reliability. Also, many just don't have the load capacity.

Thanks
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    You would be better off buying a snow thrower, and selling the tractor snow thrower to someone. I had the tractor one, sold it and bought a 2 stage walk behind. Clears the snow in half the time, much easier to use, does a better job, and it's much easier on me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    You would be better off buying a snow thrower, and selling the tractor snow thrower to someone. I had the tractor one, sold it and bought a 2 stage walk behind. Clears the snow in half the time, much easier to use, does a better job, and it's much easier on me.
    Not for 2/3 of a mile long and 18' wide!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Move to the south.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...inverters.html

Note... there are resistance loads and inductive loads...
    Do some research... as inductive loads need reserve capacity... or they will blow the circuitry in the inverter.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    In that case, I'd get a bunch of the Rechargeable LED Drop/ Light Bars. The other thing you could do is is get LED Off Road lights, install an compatible plug on it. Disconnect your head lights. No sense in lighting the back of the plow. Plug the LEDS into the head light. BTW I put an ERB from West Marine on my tractor. I had some idiot come up my driveway and almost hit me. Also I can legally push snow across the road now. I used Conduit with rubber hose on one end to mount the ERB. Crimped a pin in the other end, for the hitch hole, and used a rubber strap to stabilize it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    In that case, I'd get a bunch of the Rechargeable LED Drop/ Light Bars. The other thing you could do is is get LED Off Road lights, install an compatible plug on it. Disconnect your head lights. No sense in lighting the back of the plow. Plug the LEDS into the head light. BTW I put an ERB from West Marine on my tractor. I had some idiot come up my driveway and almost hit me. Also I can legally push snow across the road now. I used Conduit with rubber hose on one end to mount the ERB. Crimped a pin in the other end, for the hitch hole, and used a rubber strap to stabilize it.
    My additional lights are LEDs.
    My issue is the power draw is too much for the fixed output stator charging system.

Post Likes
    I put two LED tail lights, and four orange LED side lights, plus I installed two additional LED head lights,and swapped the original headlights to LED on an 18 horsepower Kohler engine, and didn't have a bit of problem charging the battery. You may have a worn out Stator. Check the engine manual on how check the stator gap and output.

Post Likes
    You could always get a used auto battery and mount it somewhere...
    Then charge it in the garage between uses...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in