+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WHAT HAPPENED?????

Post Likes
    An entire SAN failed. There were a lot more than one drive which were corrupted. Yes, it should not have happened. In hindsight I could have taken back ups myself, but this was a one in a million type failure from what I have been lead to gather.

2. Likes HVAC_Marc, rjk_cmh, Admin, DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb M. View Post
    An entire SAN failed. There were a lot more than one drive which were corrupted. Yes, it should not have happened. In hindsight I could have taken back ups myself, but this was a one in a million type failure from what I have been lead to gather.
    Now we're smarter! Never believe what the marketers tell you. It's ALL BS
    Nest is POO!!

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm still an IT systems architect just looking into the HVAC trade for something more interesting to do. Our company spends more than $30k/mo with AWS so I know a lot about it, and it should work well for hosting hvac-talk on. But it sure is a LOT more complicated than a regular old dedicated server - hope Robb is having fun setting it all up!

I know that "RAID is not a backup!", but at least AWS EBS has a much higher durability than standard disks, and is automatically replicated between regions as well. EBS snapshots are stored in S3, which has a guaranteed durability of 99.999999999%!

6. Likes Robb M., HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The replication is the better thing to have. It's basically a real-time backup.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Yeesh. I guess my account and all my posts were among those to go byebye.

S*** Happens, glad the site is back up. I've learned so much from these forums!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dsoroudi View Post
    Yeesh. I guess my account and all my posts were among those to go byebye.

S*** Happens, glad the site is back up. I've learned so much from these forums!!!
    Glad to see you back.

We did a blast email to all of the accounts we thought were lost. Did you get that email from us?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Glad to see you back.

We did a blast email to all of the accounts we thought were lost. Did you get that email from us?
    Yes. Thats how I learned of the failure. It sucks big time. I had a thread in the AOP forum specific to Lennox zoning systems that was really helpful and detailed. I may try to recreate it when I have some time just for knowledge of others in the future.

We had a failure of our hard drives at work 2 years ago. We had backups done DAILY that no one ever knew were corrupt. We ended up losing about 3-4 months of data/email etc. Was a nightmare. So I know how it goes.

11. Likes Robb M. liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    8729 Threads
    142,260 Posts
    7405 Members
    And I'm one of them...
    All of my posts (around 60) & threads are deleted... Recreated the account yesterday..
    It was really shocking to me... I checked my posted threads yesterday, and suddenly all of them became invisible. I tried to log in but failed. I thought that I'm banned without any notification. So I tried to recreate my account the same email and username and succeeded. then I checked the email I got today. It's sad to know about the issue.
    But... it's okay.. uncertainty happens..

13. Likes Robb M. liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb M. View Post
    If no backup were in place, you would have no HVAC-Talk to come back to and complain on.
    Robb M.,
    Damn nice Mic Drop !!!!!! Perfect timing I might add.

I'm sorry we lost data but very glad HVAC-Talk is back up and running.

Again, thanks to all the folks behind the scenes that brought everything back !!
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    Glad to be back.

Post Likes
    I guess this explains where my [not so] old account went.

17. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Amazing how much data can be lost in a blink.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in