Post Likes

Metasys Companion Cable and Terminal Settings

The other day I was trying to connect to a old Metasys Companion system through its on board local connection port. I thought that in the past I used a NULL modem cable in order to connect to one of these panels, but for some reason my cable wasn't working. I tried two different serial cables AND a USB to serial adapter with no success. I had the correct COM port selected, and I had my Hyperterminal settings set up as followed:

Baud Rate - 9600
    Data Bits - 8
    Parity - None
    Stop Bits - 1
    Flow Control - Xon Xoff

I tried multiple baud rates, and multiple flow control options. I don't remember having this much problem connecting to one of these. Does the cable for these systems have a special pin out? If so does anyone have it? I can't find much documentation on this system.

Thanks for the help!
    J. King

Post Likes
    Please refer to the attached.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Thanks for the manual. It talks a lot about modems and remote connections. Do you have anything on local computer connections to the Companion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J. King

Post Likes
    Oops.

Maybe too much cheer at this end.

Try this one.6281115.pdf

Post Likes
    Thanks for the manual. It looks like what I needed. It appears I had the correct cable. The pin out appears to be a null modem cable. It also appears that I had the correct COM port settings. The only thing that was mentioned that I am not sure about is I see a lot about a VT100 terminal emulator. I was using hyperterminal with the standard default settings with the correct COM port settings configured. Do I have to change something in hyperterminal to make it work in VT100 emulation? I have never seen this called out before. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J. King

Post Likes
    May be worth checking.

Post Likes
    May be worth checking.

Post Likes
    Emulation has to be set to VT100 for it to work, I have 8 Companion panels sitting in my laundry room if you need another one lol
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Does anyone have experience on telnet in to Companion perhaps using PuTTY? Thank you

Post Likes
    I use PuTTY to connect to Companions, but not Telnet. Just vt100 terminal. Telnet is for tcp/ip connections.
    PuTTY works fine, but so does hyperterminal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCIman View Post
    I use PuTTY to connect to Companions, but not Telnet. Just vt100 terminal. Telnet is for tcp/ip connections.
    PuTTY works fine, but so does hyperterminal.
    So this is the issue is.. as you can see in the attached image, when I press "F1" key to cancel, it actually displays those characters and only way for me to exit is "X" out of PuTTY
    (I hope you are able to see the screen shot if not please let me know I can maybe email it to you)
    Name:  Capture_a.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  29.5 KB

In PuTTY are there any specific settings that you can provide?

I have configured PuTTY with the IP address of the device and the port it communicates on.. also the keyboard settings are set for VT100+. Do I need to adjust any other settings?

Also, I am using the LOCAL terminal port of the Companion for communications.

My other option will be to go directly to that LOCAL port connecting via hyper terminal.. Can I do this? If so, the serial cable that I need is it a standard serial cable? or is it a special one?

I was thinking of connecting a PC with a serial cable and using hyper terminal directly in to the Companion local port.

Appreciate your help
    Thank you

Post Likes
    Re: Also, I am using the LOCAL terminal port of the Companion for communications.

My other option will be to go directly to that LOCAL port connecting via hyper terminal.. Can I do this? If so, the serial cable that I need is it a standard serial cable? or is it a special one?

I was thinking of connecting a PC with a serial cable and using hyper terminal directly in to the Companion local port.[/I][/I]

Pinouts on pages 23 +/_