+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Room Air Purifier in Central AC Home

Post Likes

Room Air Purifier in Central AC Home

I own a 4000 sq. feet two stories home with a two zone central AC system. My wife suffers from asthma and allergies and believes that the air quality in the house could be improved by purchasing a room air purifier. She wants to use the purifier in the kitchen which is a relatively open room.

While I have not calculated the ACH for my Central AC, it seems to me that the room air purifier would be attempting to purify a very large volume of air with the associated filter changes and the expense that goes along with it.

I am pretty judicious at replacing the central AC filters on a regular basis but she is still complaining.

Do you think that a room air purifier could make a measurable impact on the air quality of a relatively small area given the conditions I described or would it be a waste of money?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Post Likes
    Better indoor air quality
    A minimum of a Merv 11 air filter on the air handler is a start. 24/7 air flow through the filter. A fresh air change in 4-5 hours when occupied, or 24/7.
    Maintain 47%-50% RH through the warm months, +35% during the dry months for comfort.
    Mold, dust mites, pollen, and indoor air pollutants are the main problems.
    Mold in basements/crawlspaces and a/c ducts are common problems because of dampness in these spaces.
    In green grass climates, most homes need supplemental dehumidification to maintain <50%RH during low sensible cooling loads and high outdoor dew points, +55%RH. The other source of moisture is from the occupants. You may need 5-6 lbs. of dehumidification per hour. Also the whole house dehumidifiers work well to provide filtered fresh air in addition to the supplemental dehumidification. Mold and dust mites are unable to reproduce in the <50%RH conditions. It takes months for the mold/dust mite allergen to lose its effect on allergic occupants.
    Small air filters are ineffective in the big picture. Ok for an isolated area that has fresh air and is dry and clean
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in