Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cessnan1315efw View Post
    I think your being a little extreme with this. Obviously I know this is not good practice and should be avoided at all costs... I was just merely trying to give some input on what will work and what I have expiramented with in a pinch.
    In a pinch, would be if no one in your area had any R22 to sell to you to use.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

2. Likes VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    We use r453a, says it actually has a slightly higher capacity than r22. Weve had no issues and no need to mess with the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We use r427a with Poe oil and replace filter driers and valve cores. Good results with it so far. M099 I would stay away imo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DJEnterprises View Post
    BTW, I am a dinosaur (over 55).

If we are discussing resi work, we are talking reasonable quantities of R22 for a dry system, say 5-9 lbs. Not sure why anyone would retrofit a resi system and not just use R22. R22 is an exceptional refrigerant and still really isn't THAT expensive. It's not like these alternative refrigerants are free. Are you really going through the trouble and potential small efficiency reduction in retrofitting over 90 apples?

By the time the system dies in X years with the R22 fill, the HO can replace with a new system based on future refrigerant standards. Never retrofitted a system and never will.

There are three refrigerants in my van: R22, R410a, and R134a. When the R22 is gone, I will retire.
    From one dinosaur to another....

I wouldn't debate anybody's choice of business practices...if yours works for you then that's the way to go. I will say our opinions of the dollar amount that elevates refrigerant to the expensive category differ.

What works for me is converting systems at every opportunity...and I'll qualify that by saying old systems. I work on more old POS stuff than anything else. If it's already leaking, the conversion is cost effective for future top-off's. If it's not leaking, it'll likely start leaking in the not to distant future, so it's still good logic to convert.

Alternatives offer both the customer and me respectable savings in the long term.

6. Likes Flyover liked this post
    Post Likes
    If anyone cares, the cost of R22 has dropped drastically in the past couple weeks.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    If anyone cares, the cost of R22 has dropped drastically in the past couple weeks.
    I care; how "drastically?"

Last time I picked some up I think it was around $ a jug.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-14-2018 at 03:25 AM.

Post Likes
    We dropped our price $ in the past 2 weeks. From $ to $ in the Chicago area but I've also heard from some of our customers they can get skid pricing elsewhere at $ a jug.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-14-2018 at 03:26 AM.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    The word is schmuck, not smuck. Its Yiddish.

Post Likes
    According to data, 407C has the least capacity loss. The others lose capacity at higher rates as outdoor ambient temps rise. I have used nearly all of them. I have had good results. One time on a residential 5 ton carrier 10 seer I had complaints. After a catastrophic R22 leak from copper tube vibration against a sharp edge, I changed the system over to 421A.
    All was fine until we had a 96F day. House would not cool below 77-78F.
    Was a 2500 square foot pre 1940s home with casement windows, no insulation, flat black epdm roof.
    Before the conversion, house could maintain 72F.
    New drier, charged to superheat. All coils were cleaned.

Post Likes
    I'm doing a big job this month. It's a 10 ton Dectron (two 5 ton compressors) de-humidification unit. Though 20 years old the compressors are running great. It has great evaporator and reheat coils. The r-22 is the biggest negative. We're pulling the compressors and dumping the mineral oil replaced with POE. We've decided on R-422b (the nu-22). I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Likes
    Isn't R22 about the same price currently ? Plus 5 more extra pounds single component.

Post Likes
    R-22 is a lot more now. In 20 years (wishful thinking), it wont be available at all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tvpbnl View Post
    R-22 is a lot more now. In 20 years (wishful thinking), it wont be available at all.
    No it's not I just got pricing on it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast