+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cooling/heat loss due to slipping belts

Post Likes

Cooling/heat loss due to slipping belts

Hello to all,
    I have been searching and searching to find data or test studies on the loss of energy due to inadequate belt tension. How many times have we gone up on the roof and find the blower turning about half speed. We wont consider the addition of the dirty filter to boot! I just replaced a 4 ton scroll compressor on a roof top. Had the gauges on for startup wow lower suction pressure than I would like to see. Opened the filter door filter was clean seemed to be moving air. Dang. Shut it down and opened the blower compartment to find the belt loose. Wasn't squealing or making any adverse noises. Tightened the belt, fire it up bam were in business.Since then I have been trying to dig up info on this. I am going to go out on a limb and say I think that the higher efficiency unit with a loose belt is less efficient than the old 22 unit running good. wow long post huh. I could put a drive on 3phase blower motor and monitor evap pressures. How many percent blower speed must be lost to get the coil to start frosting. Hum. Bored. Heating mode would do what? hotter heat exchanger , more heat lost in increased combustion exhaust temp, possible cycle hi-limit. Low velocity hot air stratification coming out of ceiling diffusers. wow I get too worked up on this. Anybody run across any hard data on this or actual lab testing?
    Thanks to all!
    Bill

Post Likes
    Good day all,
    It was also my intention to provoke thought and input from others of their experience and thoughts on this apparently overlooked variable quotient in establishing a true out of the lab seer rating on typical moderately serviced equipment in service. We know there are a lot of things to consider, filters, dirty coils, improper duct sizing etc. I am focusing on nthe belt drive system efficiency.
    Cheers
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in