Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I had a previous employer 'threaten' to have me park the truck at the shop.

It was during one recession or another, so money was getting tight. Gasoline was probably on the rise. Insurance costs more if the trucks are not parked at the shop each night.

So I took all that into consideration and played it very low key. Explaining that he would then need to go out and buy 10 to 15K worth of tools, because there was no way I was leaving my personal tools on a truck for someone else to drive. And, of course, you'll have to take me off of the on call schedule. Because it's unlikely I'll respond to a call if there is not a truck sitting outside my house. And of course my pay would start as soon as I touched the truck, and wouldn't end until I locked the door at the end of the day. Which means he'd have to pay me travel that he wasn't already paying me for.

I probably came up with a couple of other creative things to say. All very low key. That is not a time to escalate matters. Anyway, he realized that decision wouldn't have been one of his best. And everything remained the same.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

2. Likes heatingman, ga-hvac-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the comments and questions, i hope I can remember to answer everyone. This company just started the hvac division a couple years ago, they also do property maintenance and remodeling work. The owner branched out into the hvac side to offer his customers another service, in this area people are very loyal to a company that provides exceptional service. There's a lot of ''the island life'' in people around here, especially in the summer time, seems like you can't get any body to do work because they are out fishing or on the beach, or chilling at the local bar. With all that background information said, we will/have been doing system checkups and maintance contracts. We do change outs, no new construction and service. So for now we don't need a sheet metal shop or equipment, I think the owner has another hvac shop make the duct work or rain shields when the need arises.
    The reason for having a second set of tools is because for now we don't have enough after hour calls to warrant me driving the van home, I think that will change very soon as this program grows. I want/need to keep a set of hand tools if you will in my personal truck for my side hustle work. From what I understand this company just needs me to provide my hand tools and possibly battery tools, drill, driver, sawzall. They have vacuum pump, reclaim, torch, gauges on the truck, and possibly amp probe and volt meter, temp gun. I will find out this coming week when I start. Once again thanks for the help, I do spend some time each night on here reading and learning. Y'all folks are the top message board/forum I read, everyone here helps make the hvac industry continue to excel by providing great information to help us all learn and be better at this trade.

Post Likes
    If that is the case, you should have no personal tools on the truck when you are not on the clock.

Each morning you put your tool pouch or tool bag on the truck along with your meter and gauges.

Each evening you put those same tools back in your vehicle to drive home.

Are those tools even insured against things like theft or fire?

The other point of contention is that you don't even need to be on call if the truck is not in your driveway. Where I work now, I've been there almost exactly four years, and I've had something like five after hours or weekend calls. With that [my] ratio, do you have to respond to less than [roughly] one call per year?

And yes, if my employer wouldn't allow me to drive the truck home each day, he would need to stock anything I could not carry to my personal vehicle in one trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CCMO View Post
    Thanks for the comments and questions, i hope I can remember to answer everyone. This company just started the hvac division a couple years ago, they also do property maintenance and remodeling work. The owner branched out into the hvac side to offer his customers another service, in this area people are very loyal to a company that provides exceptional service. There's a lot of ''the island life'' in people around here, especially in the summer time, seems like you can't get any body to do work because they are out fishing or on the beach, or chilling at the local bar. With all that background information said, we will/have been doing system checkups and maintance contracts. We do change outs, no new construction and service. So for now we don't need a sheet metal shop or equipment, I think the owner has another hvac shop make the duct work or rain shields when the need arises.
    The reason for having a second set of tools is because for now we don't have enough after hour calls to warrant me driving the van home, I think that will change very soon as this program grows. I want/need to keep a set of hand tools if you will in my personal truck for my side hustle work. From what I understand this company just needs me to provide my hand tools and possibly battery tools, drill, driver, sawzall. They have vacuum pump, reclaim, torch, gauges on the truck, and possibly amp probe and volt meter, temp gun. I will find out this coming week when I start. Once again thanks for the help, I do spend some time each night on here reading and learning. Y'all folks are the top message board/forum I read, everyone here helps make the hvac industry continue to excel by providing great information to help us all learn and be better at this trade.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12