+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repair old natural gas poly tubing to outdoor BBQ

Post Likes

Repair old natural gas poly tubing to outdoor BBQ

I have a BBQ grill that is connected to natural gas through an old black Poly tubing. The line is about 3/4 inch outside diameter. a The line was installed some 30 years ago. Recently while digging in my back yard I nicked the line with my shovel.

The run is about 100 feet from the source to my BBQ grill so I prefer not to replace the entire line.

Can someone tell me how to repair this line. What kind of fittings do I use? Any special preparation?

Any concerns that I reside in St Louis MO?

Thanks for all your help, it will be greatly appreciated.

2. Likes sgtrivas405 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ive never seen black poly gas line. It sounds a LOT like you have well poly used as gas line, which would be a violation of usage and code.

Gas poly is usually VERY thick and yellow or orange in color. There are special fittings that are used on them if heat fusion isnt used. They look like sharkbite fittings and cost large dollars. Any supplier of gas fittings would be able to source it. Be aware that normal *-bite* fittings are not approved for gas line usage.

I highly suggest you replace the line with a metal line or have it professionally replaced with known good gas approved poly.
    Nest is POO!!

4. Likes sgtrivas405 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If I recall correctly, other than black iron or galvanized threaded pipe, gas piping can only be purchased by certified installers and only locally licenced installers can make changes or alterations.

I'd hate to be the owner of and on the hook for an improper outside gas pipe.

I recall a Philadelphia gas explosion sourced to a leak on the utility's underground branch upstream of the meter that left a rowhouse without a roof or owner. The gas traveled into the house underground along the outside of the pipe. I suggest immediately isolating that branch line and call in the pros and I mean right now.

Post Likes
    Could it maybe be a copper line inside the black poly pipe? That is common in these parts.
    They will soon forget how long it takes, but they will always remember the quality.

7. Likes JeepersKreepers liked this post.
    Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    ages ago there was some plastic gas piping that was black. AA something. good luck finding an approved repair coupling for that.

i hear home despair sells approved PE pipe and approved direct burial fittings.

rent a trencher, save the back
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    I use to work for Oklahoma natural gas, We only had ownership up to the outlet of the gas meter. anything past that it was homeowners property. If the plumbing was not up to code or leaking we would plug the meter until plumbing was fixed and had a city inspection tag. however that only applied to plumbing inside the home, outside i have seen customers run lines directly to their grills or fire-pits. I think the first important thing is to determine where is your gas meter located. second is the service line going to your gas meter a medium pressure of low pressure gas line. third is it a plastic or steel piping. It doesn't seem like a hard fix if we can figure out those 3 things first. typically service lines are 18'' or deeper, but that doesn't apply to the line you hit since its not property of the gas company. please contact me if you still need help with this issue and i can give you some suggestions.

Post Likes
    DIY plumbing is one thing. DIY gas lines are something different entirely. As others have said, black poly tubing makes no sense for a gas line. You should seek professional help and have metal or proper-rated plastic pipe installed. Perhaps it is a copper line that is only sleeved in black plastic, which would explain why it being "nicked" hasn't been a crisis.

Post Likes
    My opinion is it's not a big deal. Public utilities use polyethylene at much higher pressure. If I was there and didn't care that much because it wasn't under my house, I would cut it, find the correct same pipe, heat it up to swedge over the other line with glue. Or I would see if the press fit irrigation fittings would work

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gladiatormaniac View Post
    My opinion is it's not a big deal. Public utilities use polyethylene at much higher pressure. If I was there and didn't care that much because it wasn't under my house, I would cut it, find the correct same pipe, heat it up to swedge over the other line with glue. Or I would see if the press fit irrigation fittings would work

Bad advice. Ive seen this done. At 2AM when the water heater turned on it blew all 4 walls of the garage out and the roof off. One wall was blown 100 feet across a street. The man door was 350 feet away. It cracked an 8" thick concrete wall 50 feet away and pulled the house off the foundation, damaging one side of the house beyond repair.

All because someone decides they HAD to have gas, no matter how they got it.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    I agree with Marc. I actually didn’t know if you were being serious or sarcastic. If you are serious then you shouldn’t have a gas ticket. If you were being sarcastic then your post was very well written.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They will soon forget how long it takes, but they will always remember the quality.

14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I really respect your guys's impecable knowledge. Yes I was serious to be honest, I'll take a whipping, but to assure you I would never suggest that to a customer. But what I was saying was at my house where I know that the only difference between what is code and what is there is the thickness and integrity of the pipe and knowing it's been working fine for 30 years, I know I could get it to work in a pinch.

But since I wouldn't say that to a customer but to some random stranger on the internet makes me realize that I regret suggesting that.

I am sorry

Just yesterday I saw 3" b-vent for customers water heater installed upside down and the roof termination was a dryer vent turtle vent cap.
    Customer didn't want to do anything about it.
    I run across really poor installs all of the time.
    Sometimes I get beaten down by so many customers that don't want to do anything about thier systems that has been working like that for years and they make make me believe it too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in