+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geothermal AC not working

Post Likes

Geothermal AC not working

Good afternoon folks... I am at wits end. (i have a pro coming in a couple days). ive been a homeowner with geo for 4 years. we built this house and its everything we want. except about 3 times until recently per year the geo ac would stop working.
    Its a Honeywell board.

Anyway, what happens or is happening now is Cool 1 is green (meaning its on) and fan is green (meaning on). Cool1 is on for zone 1 which is upstairs.
    problem is zone 1 is 75 degrees when the thermostat is set to 71.
    If i trip the breaker or run a purge by stepping through the settings (it does it automatically) it switches on, cools for a bit, then goes right back to this.

I have NO idea what the tech has done 10 times prior to fix it, but it works for months or til the next summer. But I fired those guys and am working with a new company that supposedly knows more.

Problem is, they cant get here til tuesday and its warm.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

Post Likes
    Any refrigerant added in the past?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    Any refrigerant added in the past?
    its only a fur year old system and its been doing it since year 1 , 3 months after we moved in... i cant imagine it needed refridgerant that quickly..

in case the people that did it are that dumb, how would i go about checking it? its a full geo system, so no outdoor unit at all.. im not an hvac guy at all.
    thanks

Post Likes
    ok, im 99% sure i figured it out.

The pvc drainage pipe running from the unit to the drain was not acting right... I had to get a little rough with it but I managed to loosen a midway spot and opened it up there... water came pouring out , probably near a gallon in total.
    That alone threw up warning alarms for me. Im not an hvac guy as I said, but I know that the drain is a trickle, not a deluge.
    I looked in the pipe that i took off and it was clogged tight.. completely sealed off. I rapped it on the concrete and all this junk came out. Replaced it and the flow is great again.
    The unit kicked on and the cold air is flowing. Now I could get it to pump some air temporarily, but never more than 15-20 minutes. we will see how this goes, but im fairly confident in the fix.

5. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like sludge buildup in the condensate then the system goes into a condensate overflow fault.

Post Likes
    Put a cup of bleach in your evap coil pan in the spring

8. Dislikes kdean1 disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyDus View Post
    Put a cup of bleach in your evap coil pan in the spring
    And if you don’t like that try in your evap coil pan in the spring

10. Dislikes kdean1 disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    And if you don’t like that try in your evap coil pan in the spring
    Thank you sooo much for reviving a 5 year old thread.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I thought you were serving up the dislikes for some weird pro-fungus-in-the-drains stance.
    Now I understand its the thread necro police.

Post Likes
    I thought you were serving up the dislikes for some weird pro-fungus-in-the-drains stance.
    Now I understand its the thread necro police.
    The poster that started this thread hasn’t even logged onto the site in almost 6 years. Let alone been active.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in