+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can I Measure Refrigeration Tons

Post Likes

How can I Measure Refrigeration Tons

I am an energy manager who's been contracted by an industrial food processing facility to provide general energy conservation services. I am wanting to measure the performance of their refrigeration plant.

On the surface I will be wanting to determine a baseline tons/kW of the existing system.

What is the best way to measure refrigeration tons?

The condenser is using a floating head pressure control strategy and the load as seen from the evaporator is variable based on employee traffic into the spiral freezers and production volume.

Post Likes
    It depends. If you have a water chiller 2.4 GPM * 10 degrees TD = 1 ton. If you can measure your water flow and water TD at the chiller then you know the capacity. The actual formula is GPM * TD 8 500 = Btus per hour (BTUH). Divide BTUH by 12,000 to get tons.

There are formulas for air flow also.

Measure the wet bulb temperature entering and leaving the coil. Convert the wet bulb (WB) temperature to enthalpy using an enthalpy chart. 4.5 * CFM * Enthalpy Difference = BTUs per Hour (BTUH).

You have to be able to measure the flow rate for your heat transfer medium and the temperature difference.

I Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Neill; 06-20-2018 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Addition
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    A bit of a late reply - did you see the "BTU Station" tread (2 below your thread)?

What did you end up doing to determine the Tons?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in