Post Likes

Seeking options to replace smaller footprint (24"x24") condensor units with same size

Hi – we are purchasing a home in north Texas. House has central AC with duct system, split system, and is powered by two older units outside (~12 yr old). These are a 3 ton and a 3 ½ ton Lennox condenser unit, both 13 SEER. We noticed during inspection that the house wasn’t cooling right - subsequent HVAC visit today confirmed that we are underpressured / low in freon, short by about 4-5 lbs per unit. Additionally the units are buzzing quite loudly outside. The units are R-22 so we figure that we will need to deal with this issue sometime in next 3 years anyhow due to the R-22 phaseout, and if there is a leak in system that caused initial Freon loss then we might lose our recharge volume if we just try to band-aid fix it now with a recharge anyhow. So, we are evaluating all options including replacing the coils and condenser with new.

The outside units both measure 24” x 24” (and 33” high). They are located inside a fenced maintenance area with pool equipment and a gas line serving the pool heater. Everything fits perfectly as it is now, meaning there is little to no room to put in larger AC units as replacements without either losing the required space for maintenance access or having to move fencing etc.

My main question: can someone steer me to some modern ‘small footprint’ options that could work with this space, and fit on those same 24x24” pads? Our HVAC pro suggested there is an Ameristar unit that is the only thing he could think of that would fit – it is 14 SEER and he said roughly ~50s for decibel level (I have wanted a quiet unit if possible). He said most of the Trane units (and anything higher than 14 SEER in general) will likely be too large for the space we have to work with (e.g. wider than 24 inches).

If we go any larger we will need to redo fencing and take out landscaping - can only push fence away from house, not laterally as there is a window right beside current fence line (and going other way we bump into the gas line)

Would appreciate any suggestions on other alternatives that would fit this situation, or considerations we should ask about. This is our first home with central AC so are new to it all and I would like to educate myself about all options before we go ahead with a full replacement. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Sounds like solid advice.
    You could go to each manufactures website, and check out the specs for each unit, but 24 X 24 is pretty small.
    Also, is the fence blocking air flow by any chance?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    I think the air flow is okay as is, but we would not want a unit any closer to it laterally, that is a point for sure (so a larger unit even if we could go out from the house farther might then be too close to the side fence)

I tried going to each manufacturer website - Trane I could source dimensions for (all 33" and larger if I recall?) but for Lennox I was foiled by the fancy website, no specs just brochures about comfort options! that was when I decided to try and find a site like this to see if you pros had ideas in your back pocket for 'small' solutions. Thanks for the reply.

Post Likes
    Please don't think. All manufactures give dimenations and minimum clearances. Please follow them!

Post Likes
    hi - I am trusting in my local pros on this, I do not know clearance rules, I have assumed that if the clearance on existing install was not enough he would have told me. In meantime the purpose of this thread is to solicit ideas about how to replace old units with new in that same existing footprint on the 24"x24" pads, so that we do not need to move fences etc to allow for clearances if we went with something that is wider than 24", thanks.

Post Likes
    for example: I haven't heard back from my pro with his quote on the Ameristar, but I am not sure if they will work. Both units right now are 24x24" and we have a 3 ton and 3.5 ton. On Ameristar's website (ameristarac.com/product/air-conditioners) the 3 ton will fit, just under 24x24, but the 3.5 ton is 28x28 - not sure if we have those extra 4 inches available without eating into the clearances...will be interesting! I was looking at York smaller units via another HVAC-talk thread (this model: york.com/for-your-home/air-conditioners/air-conditioners-affinity-series/tchd), but not sure if it will work either.

Post Likes
    I might have found an option to talk to my pro about - the carrier Infinity® 19VS Central Air Conditioner
    24VNA9. appears to be on 24x24 base for up to 3 tons (?)

Post Likes
    That is he only one I know of. How large is the fenced area and what type of fence?

If you are buying the house why isn't the seller dealing with this?

Make sure whoever is going to replace the units does a proper Manual J load calculation. The last thing you want to do is have the wrong size equipment installed.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Pretty hard to find a 3.5 ton in a 24x24 footprint. Probably not hard to find 3 ton though. Don't expect 50db except maybe a variable speed unit on its lowest capacity.

Speaking of variable speed, I wouldn't do it without zoning. On low speeds, you may not have the velocity to get air to distant rooms. Not so bad with ducts overhead and cold air coming out of the ceiling but floor registers the air will hug the floor. The 24VNA9 would be great with Infinity zoning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybond View Post
    I might have found an option to talk to my pro about - the carrier Infinity® 19VS Central Air Conditioner
    24VNA9. appears to be on 24x24 base for up to 3 tons (?)
    http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Wa...et.pdf?fmt=pdf

Page 8 shows up to 3 tons, then jumps to 4 tons, no 3.5 tons. Suggest doing a load calculations, you probably could get by with two 3 tons.

Post Likes
    Look at a horizontal discharge unit. Might give you more options.

Example

http://www.bryant.com/bryant/en/us/p...itioners/538a/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk