+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a temperature compensated pressure gauge for testing linesets/coils

Post Likes

Looking for a temperature compensated pressure gauge for testing linesets/coils

I haven't been watching the new tools segment that closely and now I'm in the market for a standalone pressure gauge for nitrogen to replace my dwyer.

I like to leave my gauge on systems for an extended period for careful leak testing- think in terms of overnight being the minimum. It would be super handy if the gauge would temperature compensate, but I'm not seeing anything out there??

Has anybody seen this in the market in a tech-friendly format?

If it's not, I think we should make some noise until somebody wakes up!

Let me know what you think.

Thanks all!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Do you mean compensated for gas law changes or mechanical drift?

Post Likes
    gas laws.

People often mistakenly believe that nitrogen doesn't expand/contract but that's total BS. LOL it's a refrigerant after all!

PS- was assuming a digital gauge. shame on me. In this day and age I thought that would be a prerequisite.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Very true.
    Anyone ever seen this dream gauge?

Post Likes
    All they would have to do would be to add nitrogen to the appion gauge apps, and add a leak test mode. At least that's my working theory.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

6. Likes skwoodwiva2 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Couldnt imagine it being very accurate with a split system at 2 different temps

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Couldn't imagine it being very accurate with a split system at 2 different temps

I'm not talking about complete split systems- not most of the time anyway. I'm talking about component parts mostly.

For instance, leak testing a lineset before re-use for a new system. The bulk of my systems have 90% + of the lineset running through the basement with just a little bit sticking out of the house. Likewise, A evaporator could be tested in place.

You might consider thinking about how a piece of test gear could be used instead of ways it couldn't.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    My 2 cents is this guage would cost alot of money to get out of doing a little math

Post Likes
    I voted!
    Like what he said?

Post Likes
    so you use analog gauges while checking superheat and subcooling?

More power to you.

Do you do detailed manual J's, D's & S's on paper? I've got no problem with that if you do, but personally I use technology to do things quicker, more accurately and more consistently.

I've got no problem with math, but most days I don't have the time to work out every issue in my head while I'm running around problem solving. My diagnostics take longer than a lot of guys just because I hate missing things only to explain they have issues I didn't spot the first time around. It would take that much longer if I had to add water to my manometer every time I used it, and frankly I wouldn't do it nearly as often.

I once spotted a refrigerant lineset leak so small it took a week of 450PSI nitrogen to show a two PSI pressure drop (not your average system BTW) before the system was put into service. With the gear I'm talking about I could have done the same thing in a day, maybe two. I saved a bunch of grief before that piping was covered up so thoroughly it would have been thousands of dollars to get access to it and fix it. And PLEASE stop your eye roll, I'm not exaggerating one single little bit. It was a soon to be buried line under a paved driveway.

You shouldn't assume that what you work on is what everybody works on, or the way you do it is the same.

In the early days of the Imanifold there were all these comments about just how ridiculous it was, and "really, what would you use it for?" A lot of those people are eating crow now.

If you ask me this trade has a serious problem with lack of imagination. I like tried and true, but I also like technologies that help me do a better job, faster.

rant over. (I hope)

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    It would definitely need to be part of an already existing gauge already. It would be pointless to have one just for this. I would think any digital gauge set out there with a temperature sensor could do this with a bit of programing.

For me there is something satisfying about doing this calculation.

It is nuts how so many techs think nitrogen does not follow the gas law. Oh Charles you were a wise man.

Post Likes
    Maybe an app would suffice.

Post Likes
    testo has a N2 pressure test built in.

Had it over ten years ago with there original 523 also.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    testo has a N2 pressure test built in.

Had it over ten years ago with there original 523 also.
    does it take temerature into account and save reading to be compaired to another day?

Post Likes
    Yes I think you would need to leave it on if you want it to be a automated test though.

Post Likes
    You use a temp clamp on the whatever you are testing.

Post Likes
    I hope the appion guy is watching.........

19. Likes Appion-ChrisP liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in