Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Distech wireless

Does anyone have experience with Distech 902mhz wireless sensors/thermostats?
    I bought a 315mhz setup several years ago to try it out and I was very disappointesd.
    Never used it.

I have an upcoming water source heat pump project that will require several wireless
    thermostats or sensors. I like the Trane heat pumps with wireless t'stats but our
    engineers are asking for alternative solutions/vendors. I have not been able to find
    a heat pump manufacturer that has a BACnet/LON controller with a wireless sensor
    option. Was thinking about using Distech ECL controllers with their wireless option
    but not if it hasn't improved vastly over what they had before. If you read their literature
    it seems that you may encounter problems unless you have direct line of site within
    about 20'. Maybe I am reading too much into it but that is how the 315mhz system was.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    I have used Thermokon 315mhz, and 902mhz. Both worked as expected. 902 is what is used now in the US. The BACnet MS/TP and Modbus 485 version works very well. The MS/TP version is easier than the Modbus version. The BACnet/IP version is JUNK.

I see that Easy/IO is touting Thermokon as well. Not used the combo...yet.

https://www.easyio.eu/products/index...an-peripherals
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    I have had a lot of success with Distech's enocean thermostats. Although we are using the IP line which doesn't currently support the enocean adapter. We found an enocean bacnet/ip gateway that we use to pull all the sensors into and then the IP controllers grab the temperature from there. Once it's all setup we haven't had to go back much.

Post Likes
    The Distech Enocean thermostats are really easy to setup and work extremely well versus Viconics or other mainstream wireless devices. We've worked on a few jobs with them and didn't have any issues even when penetrating walls.

When installing the thermostats you have to focus on carefully planning receiver/transmitter locations. i.e. - Every wireless company struggles with their transmitter penetrating:

- Concrete walls/ceilings
    - Mirrors
    - Multiple walls
    - etc.

What you find is that installers rarely plot transmitter/sensor locations and run into complications during setup - None of which is a faulty product!

In all reality wireless shouldn't be much cheaper (Likely the same price) as normal, wired sensor installation due to increased engineering and product costs. Wireless should only be used in special circumstances like frequent space usage changes, impenetrable walls, etc.

Post Likes
    I believe you learn over time and jobs, I would disagree that it costs about the same as wired. It's gotten us jobs before. Just tell your estimated to be conservative.

Post Likes
    I havent messed with any of their wireless but I do have a job coming up where I have to install their eclypse controllers. This should be fun and interesting, if anyone has some pointers would love to hear them.

Post Likes
    The 315mhz sensor that I tried some time ago was almost useless. As soon as you moved the sensor out of line of site it went off line. I've worked with the Trane stuff and it has no problem going through several wall. Never had an issue with their stats. Never worried about 'engineering' the placement of tstats and receivers. Used some on RTUs that were 3 floors above with metal deck and concrete floors. No Problem!! I am hoping the 902mhz stuff is better. Might just waste a few bucks and see if it works. I'm not yet sold on Enocean.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Post Likes
    I agree that old enocean was useless, so much so for me that I have not touched enocean since.
    new Trane, honeywell/alerton wireless is most likely zigbee 915mhz, and I have had same experience as you, pretty solid and will go through many walls. I did find thick wooden beams are the worst thing ever for wireless.

Post Likes
    Agree, 315Mhz is the ballz. 902MHz on the other hand is the cat's meow when worked up right.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    I've picked up a decent assortment of various manufacturers 902Mhz sensors on eBay over the last couple of years (wall switches, relays, temp sensors, motion sensors, window/door contacts, card readers, etc. etc. etc.) All of the sensors I've personally purchased have outperformed my expectations. That being said, the zone sensor that came in our Distech demo case stopped working about six months ago. However, this could be attributed to the fact that it's been dropped on a concrete floor numerous times...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
    I havent messed with any of their wireless but I do have a job coming up where I have to install their eclypse controllers. This should be fun and interesting, if anyone has some pointers would love to hear them.
    Two things...

1) Forget about their claims on WiFi mesh... It's never gonna happen.

2) Plan your WiFi network(s) very carefully.., or plan to buy a lot of POE APs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    Two things...

1) Forget about their claims on WiFi mesh... It's never gonna happen.

2) Plan your WiFi network(s) very carefully.., or plan to buy a lot of POE APs.
    I agree with this 100%. I don't know how the mesh will actually work as the signal degrades the more hops. I could see it being more for redundancy. I also agree with the planning...in the beginning we had to go back frequently and hard line trouble controllers but now we are incorporating a conservative approach and it's working well. I'm a lot more excited about the power in the IP controller line. The Eclypse line has the backbone to be a strong edge analytics controller.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fisha View Post
    I'm a lot more excited about the power in the IP controller line. The Eclypse line has the backbone to be a strong edge analytics controller.
    Seems like an oxymoron.

Edge analytics would imply that the controller is running them locally and has enough history storage to get the job done. If that is the case, you should only need to send analytic hits back up to the ows. Not seeing a huge need for bandwidth in that scenario. Expecting the analytics to stream a tidal wave of issues?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

14. Likes controldude liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast