Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Dehumidifier - Aprilaire, GeneralAire, Ultra-Aire, Honeywell.

Hi Guys,

I have 1200sq ft house.
    Looking to get central dehumidifier installed- I'm I Ontario.

My installed suggested Aprilaire 1850... this little over kill but that's okay.

Price is right ... but I read that they die after two years.

Is Honeywell more reliable ? Or GeneralAire ?

Ultra-Aire is out of my price range, unless I will got with smaller unit not XT

I want something reliable for couple years.

Climate Zone is DFB

Post Likes
    I guess the Honeywell DR65A2000 is re branded ultra-aire 70h ? Anyone can confirm reliability of this.

Post Likes
    I am a UA Bear. Honeywell or Small Ultra-Aire would be my choice they have been around the longest and are the highest volume. These are more mature products. UA XT, although most efficient would be over-kill. If fresh air is involved, the UA DEH 3000 controller is best for occupancy control of fresh air ventilation.
    If the home is going to have fresh air 24/7 or none, fresh air control is not an issue.
    All three should be priced about the same.
    The setup of the a/c and ducting of the dehu are also critical. UA suggest a ducted return from the open space to the dehu and a dry air supply connected to the a/c supply down stream from the cooling coil. This avoids the need to operate the a/c blower when the deh only is operating.
    Keep us posted on the results.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Thank you Teddy Bear

My installed does not carry Ultra Aire he suggested DR120A2000 is this built by you guys or it's some China stuff ... I read about some failures and Honeywell not being very friendly.

Would the Ultra Aire 70H be enough for my needs ?

Are there any deals to be head on scratch dent units .. I could import from US as I'm next to border and I have US shipping address

Thank you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Humidx View Post
    Thank you Teddy Bear

My installed does not carry Ultra Aire he suggested DR120A2000 is this built by you guys or it's some China stuff ... I read about some failures and Honeywell not being very friendly.

Are there any deals to be head on scratch dent units .. I could import from US as I'm next to border and I have US shipping address

Thank you
    Go for it. The Ultra-Air 70H is plenty big your space. As a side note, the current Honeywell units are reliable as any. The HW DR120 is overkill for your 1200 sq.ft.
    Keep us posted on your results.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Post Likes
    Hi Teddy Bear I will make a little correction my house is 1250sq ft + basment that I didn't include.

Is the 70H still good choice

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Humidx View Post
    Thank you Teddy Bear

Thank you

Go for it. The Ultra-Air 70H is plenty big your space if the infiltrating fresh air is <100 cfm and the occupancy is <6. The reason I mention this your name of "HumidX". What does this mean? Humidex ventilation invloves exhausting large volumes of basement air to the outside to control basement humidity. This works ok when the outdoor dew points are <50^F. When the outdoor dew points are higher, the high dew point outside air is sucked into the home including the basement. This is a big problem that requires additional dehu capacity.
    As a side note, the current Honeywell units are reliable as any. The HW DR120 is overkill for your 1200 sq.ft.
    Keep us posted on your results.
    Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    Hi Teddy Bear, my username was just random ...

So I just got of the phone with my HVAC guy... he is still pushing the DR120... he says that the deal that he can get on it ( apparently he has one in stock) will cost me same as 70H

He says that he thinks that DR is Therma Stor product... but not sure if his old stock is Therma Stor

Thank you again

Post Likes
    HVAC guy says that there is no issue .. running oversized unit, that it will work less hard and actually improve efficiency.

This is all black magic .... I know that price is right.

But is this smoke and mirrors .... I'm happy that it's Therma Stor product. Seems like this only way to go.

But I would like second opinion if I should accept this and get him to install it.

Big thanks

Post Likes
    Small house with a large dehumidifier. It will use more energy because of short cycling and re-evaporation of the moisture on the coil at the end of cycle. What is wrong with these guys?
    The 65/70h is plenty big.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    I did call someone else that actually knew Ultra-Aire he suggested to go with Honeywell DR65.

He said that this will be essential same as H70.

And he pretty much said same thing about the bigger unit and other HVAC guy as you Teddy Bear

I'm little shocked that he can't get the Ultra-Aire here but he said that only reason why he recommends thhe DR65 is because they are very solid.

I wish that I could add fresh air intake but pipe would have to come out next to dryer and on top of that ... there is a central vacuum exhaust.... it's all between houses.

Maybe I should ask if he could run pipe up ? Chimney like ? Couple feet above either vent ... or just disable air when dryer or central vacuum is on ?

Post Likes
    A couple feet away would be ok. Lower would be better.
    Nothing wrong with DR65 if installed ideally. A ducted return from the open part of the home to the intake of the dehu, The dehu supply should be connected to the a/c supply. If you have fresh air, connect to the dehu return. Use a damper in the fresh air to regulate the volume of fresh air. Fresh air is needed whenever the home is occupied, 50 cfm would be fine. An electric damper on the fresh air duct allows easy activation when entering and leaving. A controller like the DEH3000 will automatically operate the fresh air for routine cycles of fresh air by the day or week.
    Keep us posted on how this all turns out.
    Fresh air and <50%RH makes your home fresh, dry, and comfortable.
    Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    I suggest a a frigidaire dehumidifier in the basement with gravity drain to safewaste https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FA...difier+70+pint.

Basements are a heat sinks that drop air temperature without removing water from the air, which results in high relative humidity. Neighbor's boy had respiratory issues. I got weary of him touting the filtration unit and light thing upstairs, pointed to the mold collecting on the basement clutter and abruptly told him he wasn't maintaining indoor air quality. We already established trust. Now his basement is "must free" and he sings praises for the stand alone dehumidifier.

IMHO for all but the tightest constructed houses and only when new, normal infiltration is sufficient for ventilation. If you have drafts from large gaps or just plain holes, you can't maintain conditions with any system. Standing water or repeated wet walls and floors from rain must be addressed before you can achieve acceptable IAQ. If your place resembles a reality show hoarder house, the stuff gotta go first.

After that, IMHO all those "accessories" are a waste of money, energy and maintenance cost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast