Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    1,677
    Post Likes

    Infrared Camera opinions

    Looking at IR cameras and there seem to be 1000 different choices and 1000 different prices.

    Looking to use it to check bigger motors and wiring, and other various uses. My first use will be to find a leak in a radiant heat loop.

    Looking to see what you guys think is the best IR camera for the money for what we do in the field on a daily basis.

    Thanks
    Ben

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Looking at IR cameras and there seem to be 1000 different choices and 1000 different prices.

    Looking to use it to check bigger motors and wiring, and other various uses. My first use will be to find a leak in a radiant heat loop.

    Looking to see what you guys think is the best IR camera for the money for what we do in the field on a daily basis.

    Thanks
    Ben
    I use the Seek for Iphone - just bought it & has already been very valuable!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    30,762
    Post Likes
    I use the Flir E4.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, working under tarps
    Posts
    918
    Post Likes
    fluke VT-04 here

    has been valuable in PM work

    customer gets a visual aid in what I am trying to explain

    Came in handy to diagnose a failing 300Amp breaker......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Visalia California 93291
    Posts
    7,658
    Post Likes
    Flir E6--Love It

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Likes
    .

    FlirOne, priceless!
    ..
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.
    ...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    142
    Post Likes
    wasnt there a flir pistol grip type unit that sold for like 900 bucks... but the firmware could be hacked to unlock the resolution of the 2,400 dollar one?

    am i imagining that? pretty sure that would be the best value/bang for the buck if its still around.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    1,677
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks all. Got some homework to do now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    2,929
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Thanks all. Got some homework to do now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great. Remember to give us the answer
    Doug

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by queequeg152 View Post
    wasnt there a flir pistol grip type unit that sold for like 900 bucks... but the firmware could be hacked to unlock the resolution of the 2,400 dollar one?

    am i imagining that? pretty sure that would be the best value/bang for the buck if its still around.
    How much resolution is really that helpful? The Seek for Iphone is around $200 I think


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    142
    Post Likes
    well... the cheaper pistol grip camera i mentioned had the same sensor as the E4 i think. hacking the firmware opens up the full resolution of the sensor.

    i think it was 640x320 or something like that. the seek is like 80 x 100 or something like that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Conservatory with a Lead Pipe
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Likes
    The latest seek is 320x240

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In the Conservatory with a Lead Pipe
    Posts
    15,682
    Post Likes
    The older version is 206x156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •