Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

134a refrigerant

I recently purchased a brand new tank of R134a from a new supplier in town.
    On the box it says "For auto use only".
    Will it make a difference if I use this jug of 134a for refrigerators and other 134a applications?

-Also it says made in China, does anyone have negative experiences with refrigerant from China?

Post Likes
    Is that the old refrigerant?

Post Likes
    "for auto use only" usually means there are additives in it that are not compatible with refrigeration or AC oils.

4. Likes 2sac liked this post
    Post Likes
    And the moisture level!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by database00 View Post
    Is that the old refrigerant?
    NO!!

Post Likes
    The only difference I know is the fitting is made for automotive A/C hoses and not the typical refrigeration hoses we use in our businesses.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevea2000 View Post
    I recently purchased a brand new tank of R134a from a new supplier in town.
    On the box it says "For auto use only".
    Will it make a difference if I use this jug of 134a for refrigerators and other 134a applications?

-Also it says made in China, does anyone have negative experiences with refrigerant from China?
    If you bought a 30lb. cylinder it's virgin refrigerant with no oil. The fitting is a ASE type fitting. Reason being they don't want you to confuse it with an R12 cylinder which has a 1/4" fitting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    If you bought a 30lb. cylinder it's virgin refrigerant with no oil. The fitting is a ASE type fitting. Reason being they don't want you to confuse it with an R12 cylinder which has a 1/4" fitting.
    The lubricants are different and not compatible. I'm not positive but I think a 30lb tank is a 30lb tank. The small cans from walmart or pep boys have additives that will screw things up.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Yes Sir, my understanding is (from the horse's month, DuPont back then ) there is no oil in the refrigerant. Hence Virgin. You are correct that one system use PAG and the other POE.
    The small cans can come with oil, sealer, dye, etc.

If we look at reto blends some of those I've seen with a small percentage of proprietary ingredient.l on the MSDS.

Post Likes
    Our local Auto Valu bought a skid of 134a a few years back and I bought 4x 30 lb. cans at a great price. They said: “for auto use only”, but the only difference was the fitting on the tank. I had to get an ACME to Ό” adapter to hook up my manifold.

Otherwise, it was the exact same as the DuPont 134a I usually buy from my wholesaler. The stuff from Auto-Valu was also from DuPont.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    Our local Auto Valu bought a skid of 134a a few years back and I bought 4x 30 lb. cans at a great price. They said: “for auto use only”, but the only difference was the fitting on the tank. I had to get an ACME to Ό” adapter to hook up my manifold.

Otherwise, it was the exact same as the DuPont 134a I usually buy from my wholesaler. The stuff from Auto-Valu was also from DuPont.
    That's where I've been getting my 134a for some time now. Typically cheaper then my supplier can sell it.

Post Likes
    I used the 30lb automotive 134 in reefer systems several years ago, no adverse affects.

Post Likes
    Many of the 30lb tanks of 134a I have been purchasing come with the adaptor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast