Post Likes

Leaving IBEX, How to do so gracefully?

Issue is: moving RTU by RTU from IBEX and I noticed that the Alerton global controller is smelling warm. Not a good sign.

What should I be doing to keep the IBEX from crapping out before I get all the units over to the new system? Adjust voltage? Dummy resistance? or?

Post Likes
    Unless you're specifically having existing devices fail the warmth of a device is not really a good indicator of potential failure unless it's too hot to touch. Especially if the devices are mounted inside the RTU instead of their own separate control cabinet.

A few of us tech'd sites for a while and it was common for a network switch to overheat when they failed, although they'd literally be burning up. Most controllers can handle fairly extreme temperatures without possibility of failing.

Post Likes
    Smelling warm...

Once the factory smoke is released, it cannot be put back. I'd say if you can smell it, its too fricken hot and sometin amiss...
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Normally, I'd agree on the smoke, but it was not smoking, just smelling warm, and the next day it was not smelling, but still functioning... Hmm....

Main thing I don't want to happen is for the 26 year old head end global controller to die before I get all the systems switched over to the new system. Not overly knowledgeable on these old systems and looking for you all's wisdom to keep the old gray horse moving till I can retire her. The controller has two comm lines and by end of day tomorrow I will have one comm line, off line. Can I just disconnect that line when done and have the control still supervise the other comm line without issue?

Appreciate any advice!

jm

Post Likes
    Controllers deal with load just like an engine would. If you put excess load on a processor (>100% capacity) and overclock it you'll wear out it out much faster than an identical unit with 30% spare capacity.

If you can unload logic, comm lines, etc. it will put less load on the device which should extend the life.

Post Likes
    Alerton apex boards have a comm voltage pot for each trunk. You may need to lower pot as you reduce devices.
    Tux comm voltage works best between about 4 to 8 VDC.

7. Likes Juan Madera liked this post
    Post Likes
    Juan,

Alerton has a driver out for their newest global the "ACM" that allows it to communicate with IBEX controllers. You could pull out the APEX globals, install the ACMs along with their new Compass front end, and then replace the IBEX controllers with Alerton VLCs as they go bad. It would be the least painful way to phase out the IBEX controllers without emptying out your back account. This assumes that the local Alerton dealer is reputable.

-Fish