Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 81
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Likes
    Conduit forced over the post hole digger, and bolt run through the conduit and post hole handle. You also need a digging bar. I found with the clay around here, it helps in digging if it's wet, but not sopping wet. Also you need an air tight cover over your pipe and Radon venting.
    Retired, after 43 Years

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Likes
    PHM,
    Caliche is a knd of natural cement found in our desert area. Calcium carbonate is the active binder. It is hard as rock. Sounds a lot like the "clay" layers that you are discussing.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks. I pecked away at it a little but the new baby kept taking my attentions away from it. And now The Deep Hole Project is on hold because I could not escape doing a project in Florida. Doubling the highest quote I got was still not sufficient to deter the building owner - so here I am. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  4. #69
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    I hate to bring a dead thread back to life but after 6 pages I have to know.. did you ever dig the front well? Did the basement dry up? Has your house became a sink hole news story?

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I did dig the front hole down to self-draining again. But I never got it widened to accommodate the 16" plastic pipe 'liner' which keeps the rear hole so successfully free-draining. But after I got the front pit draining again - it has since silted in and stopped free draining. <g>

    So it's still a work-in-progress. <g>

    And no; so far no water is coming into the actual basement.

    In 2 days I will be back in NJ and so able to check on it. <g>

    PHM
    -----------


    Quote Originally Posted by launboy View Post
    I hate to bring a dead thread back to life but after 6 pages I have to know.. did you ever dig the front well? Did the basement dry up? Has your house became a sink hole news story?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Likes
    I got to put an Evaporation/Percolation pond in. We are getting more rain than ever before, Basement keeps the yard flooded. Used some standard Engineering drawings for the pond, they rejected them due to no Engineer seal. That will cost more, than the dig by a Pro, who does them all the time. I trying to solve an Environmental problem, and the State Environment laws are stopping me.

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Do you have an area lower than the basement for the pond?

    If so; why doesn't the rain water drain to there now?

    PHM
    -----------



    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I got to put an Evaporation/Percolation pond in. We are getting more rain than ever before, Basement keeps the yard flooded. Used some standard Engineering drawings for the pond, they rejected them due to no Engineer seal. That will cost more, than the dig by a Pro, who does them all the time. I trying to solve an Environmental problem, and the State Environment laws are stopping me.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Likes
    It floods the swales built into the yard, that were for handling a moderate about of rain water. At the end of April we had more rain than all of last year and last year was sopping wet.
    It used to be after the first week in June it would start to dry out, the yard would go dormant. Grass turning brown.

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I am in Florida until tomorrow. I bought a house here which essentially 'sits in a bowl'. the yard is large (by FL standards <g>) and gathered all the rainwater and directed towards the house. I have seen 8-9" of water ponded against the exterior walls. The house was damp with decaying plaster everywhere in the interior. The house was condemned. No one would buy it. They couldn't get an offer.

    I bought it, for less than a new car, and dug a shallow trench all around the house. It is slab-on-grade and I used white roof coating to 'waterproof' down to the bottom of the slab. Then I used a backhoe to dig a swale around the fence line. This gradually slopes around and out to a drainage ditch along the front street. I put an 8" culvert under the sidewalk to connect the end of the new swale with that drainage ditch.

    I used all the soil removed from the swale to raise the ground all around the house. So now the entire property slopes away from the house and towards the swale. As a result the house is now dry.

    The house was built in the 1970's. The interior was replaced a dozen times the neighbors tell me. And this is the only time it occurred to anyone: "hmmm . . . . maybe I'll arrange for the water to drain Away from the house" ? <g>

    PHM
    ---------------


    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    It floods the swales built into the yard, that were for handling a moderate about of rain water. At the end of April we had more rain than all of last year and last year was sopping wet.
    It used to be after the first week in June it would start to dry out, the yard would go dormant. Grass turning brown.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  10. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Likes
    My site was actually designed by an Engineer in the Family, that lived in Florida, to Florida standards. Maryland didn't even have regulations other than you couldn't drain the water to the county roads ditch, except for hundred years storm. I live in Maryland, the permit people said I could dig it myself by hand, no permit needed. With two bad knees, and an elbow that's been reconstructed twice, that's not happening.

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Hand dig? How big is this pond? <g>

    Seems like a backhoe/loader would be the ticket to me. <g>

    PHM
    ----------


    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    My site was actually designed by an Engineer in the Family, that lived in Florida, to Florida standards. Maryland didn't even have regulations other than you couldn't drain the water to the county roads ditch, except for hundred years storm. I live in Maryland, the permit people said I could dig it myself by hand, no permit needed. With two bad knees, and an elbow that's been reconstructed twice, that's not happening.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  12. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Likes
    I have all the stuff written down at home, they do it by cubic yards. Which I believe was 10' x 20' x 6' deep. Three foot gets filled in by a non-floating mulch, with a PVC Pipe in the middle. An EDM Membrane goes down next, with a stone wept edge. Childproof fence. I can hand dig this, no permit, but bring in heavy equipment, permit is needed.

  13. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    1,710
    Post Likes
    Never mind, just noticed this was two year old...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •