Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Manitowoc.....I'mThinking Bin Switch Failure....What do y'all think?

Working on anQD0272A under counter. Customer says unit is about 10 years old. Got called because the unit would shut down totally. Customer then shut unit on and off clearing the safety limit. I went yesterday morning and turned it on. Watched the unit freeze in about 26 minutes and harvest in about 1 minute. Dropped 3 batches like clock work. Only Adjustment I made was a slight turn to the thickness sensor the make th bridge a little thicker. Told the customer if it shuts down don't touch it and call me. Little over an hour passes and we get a call back. Go out this morning and find unit tripped on SL2 (excessive harvest time). Cleared the SL ran three batches at 32 minute freeze and 1.5 minute harvest then left.

The only thing I can think is the bin switch is randomly failing causing the unit to think the slab hasn't dropped when it has.

Any other thoughts?

Customer says that right before he called he checked the unit and ice had fallen but the plate was still really hot.
    Training is a forever thing in a good technician’s life.

I sell knowledge in the form of hours.

Post Likes
    Granted that machine is old but your freeze time is excessive even in a 100f ambient and 90f water your freeze time should be 20-23 min if your bin switch works throgh 3 cycles it would be rare not impossible but rare. I would suspect the itp is intermediate shorting causing it go into a premature harvest and all the ice melts of and not hitting the curtian. Time to get a bucket and watch. That being said have checked your float level it could be the cause of your long freeze cycles.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    I almost forgot just fyi the saftey limits are stored for 100 cycles even is someone resets it you could unplug the machine take it to Siberia plug it in and it still will have that code it has to have 100 successful havests to clear that code.

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    I almost forgot just fyi the saftey limits are stored for 100 cycles even is someone resets it you could unplug the machine take it to Siberia plug it in and it still will have that code it has to have 100 successful havests to clear that code.

If I read the manual correctly and from what I saw I clears the SL when you go from ice to off to ice. The machine shuts down and the harvest like blinks continually then you go off and back to ice it will blink to indicate the SL then clear it and run. I'm used to it remaining on the board regardless. I think it depends on which control board the unit has.

To you other comment it is a little high but that's I think from me adjusting the bridge thickness sensor.

Post Likes
    Als, I don't know how this would affect freeze time but the water apparently has a high iron content. He's got something on the line to help reduce it but says it's still higher than normal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    If I read the manual correctly and from what I saw I clears the SL when you go from ice to off to ice. The machine shuts down and the harvest like blinks continually then you go off and back to ice it will blink to indicate the SL then clear it and run. I'm used to it remaining on the board regardless. I think it depends on which control board the unit has.

To you other comment it is a little high but that's I think from me adjusting the bridge thickness sensor.
    I think what your refering to is to cancel the clean cycle

Post Likes
    Did you do the ohmn test on the bin switch if so were you within specs. The reason i ask if it made 3 batches fine then to get code 2 it would have to fail 3 times

Post Likes
    I mis read your statment yes when the machine is in lockout it flashes continuously. Turn machine off and then on count the flashes this resets the machine. Whoever any time you turn that machine off and back on it will throw the same code until 100 successful cycles but it wont contiouis flash unless it faults again sorry for the confusion

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    If you believe the customer saw the ice fall from the evap and didn't stop the harvest cycle then it's most likely a bad switch.

Could also be a dirty ice sensor that shorts out after it gets wet.

10. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    If you believe the customer saw the ice fall from the evap and didn't stop the harvest cycle then it's most likely a bad switch.

Could also be a dirty ice sensor that shorts out after it gets wet.
    Never believe customer rule #1

Post Likes
    I've had Q-Series machines in the past with intermittent bin switches...sometimes they worked and other times not. The LED on the board would come on OK but it would shine dimmer than the others. Replace the switch and all is well.

Post Likes
    Yes i have had an intermittent bin switch do exactly this on a Q model. Usually works fine when you're there but if you ohm it you find that its inconsistent and doesnt open/close smoothly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Looks like it was the thickness sensor. Caught it in the act. Ran a good cycle. Started a second cycle and went in to harvest after about 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast