Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes

Manatowoc Q Series Ice Machine

Hello, Digging into this older thread. Working on a similar Q series Manatowoc Ice Machine, air cooled. This machine is about 18 years old ... Here is the issue; two to three cycles run fine, through the freeze and harvest cycles. Then, the machine goes into the freeze cycle as normal, trips the thickness sensor as normal, goes into harvest mode with heat to the ice plate, then quickly returns to freeze cycle again without a full harvest or triggering the curtain sensor (harvest cycle on for maybe 10 seconds). At that point it just continues to freeze and covers over the thickness sensor (Thickness Sensor checks good, light on and ohm readings in spec). I shut it down at this point to avoid damaging the thickness sensor and building ice.

Post Likes
    Thanks for reviving a 2 year old thread.

What do the LED’s tell you?

Post Likes
    The Green water level Light stays on (Sensor tests good).

The thickness sensor/Harvest Red LED also stays on when desired thickness is achieved after 10 seconds of water contact (that sensor also tests good). It stays on as it gets frozen over as well, when the harvest temperature cycle is very short.

The green Bin Door/Curtain light also stays on, and when operated manually seems to work ok, but i did see one instance where it did not come on with the door closed, I did not check that sensor yet for an ohm reading but will do so tonight - I may just replaced this as it may be on the edge....But could that cause the issues with short cycling the harvest time which should be about 3.5 Minutes. (when the short cycle happens there is no interupption or blinking of the curtain light.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    So it always is two or three cycles or it varies from time to time? It’s one of three things loose or weak ground the bin switch or the board. I would put a switch in series with the bin switch to verify. Or throw a switch at it last I checked there not that expensive the board on the other hand . Don’t think I would spend that kind of money on a machine that old.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Thanks for your help, Currently it is always two or three cycles and I cannot get any more than that without the freeze up. I will try to replace the switch first and see what happens. As far as a Timer for the harvest, is that built into the board logic and/or is it adjustable?

Post Likes
    Any time I get a Q line doing weird things I either change the ice-off-wash switch or at least reverse its leads. They are intermittent.

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/cut...-11064511.html
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mike lewis View Post
    Thanks for your help, Currently it is always two or three cycles and I cannot get any more than that without the freeze up. I will try to replace the switch first and see what happens. As far as a Timer for the harvest, is that built into the board logic and/or is it adjustable?
    Yes it’s in the board it is supposed to stay in harvest until the curtain opens don’t remember their being a fail safe time in the q model
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    OK, replaced the curtain switch, and the unit seems to be functioning without the same symptom. While returning to service a air surge broke the fill valve, so I was unable to get a prolonged run! Seems to be a standard 120 volt valve but the part that varies from $80 to 18. Thanks for your help!!!!

Post Likes
    I have a qmodel doing the same thing it drops a slab of ice and just stays off for 5 mins and then it decides to come back on and does it again I guess it’s the bin switch

Post Likes
    I had a q model do this before. What I found on it was the mounting for the bin switch flapper was cracked and sagging. Somehow it made it where the magnet wasn’t separated from the switch for long enough to terminate harvest. I quoted the guy new parts to fix it and rigged it up temporarily with tape or something. Never heard from him again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12