Post Likes

To Heat Basement Or Not

This is not a DIY question as I do not have any mechanical problems with my furnace (knock on wood), I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to heating the basement, my furnace has a big vent that blows heated air into the basement when the furnace is running but it has a sort of "valve" basically just a circle of metal that can be turned to block the opening of the vent (it's nothing air-tight) it just blocks the exit of that vent so if it's closed it might add some pressure to the air being forced into the rest of the home. The previous homeowner had it open so the basement is kind of heated from that vent. I'm just wondering if this is a normal or necessary practice or would it be beneficial to close that vent so that more of the airflow will go into the rest of the house and not the basement.

Post Likes
    Varies with the individual house. Often it helps keep your floor warmer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    A few questions:

1) is the basement fully underground
    2) are the basement walls insulated on the inside, outside, both or not at all?
    3) Are the floors (basement ceiling) insulated?
    4) what do you have or do down in the basement?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
    A few questions:

1) is the basement fully underground
    2) are the basement walls insulated on the inside, outside, both or not at all?
    3) Are the floors (basement ceiling) insulated?
    4) what do you have or do down in the basement?

The basement is fully underground other than the normal amount for those basement windows, the walls are not insulated (my best guess would be that inside and out is not insulated), the ceiling (floor of the first floor) is not insulated and it's all wood no carpet, and the basement is practically empty, used for a few small storage items, hot water heater and furnace, and also the washer and dryer, and an extra freezer, the only time I spend in the basement is to go down to do laundry.

Post Likes
    First thing, Buy a humidistat. If the humidity is high then you need to address that. More airflow from furnace or a dehumidifier.

I would have your airflow checked just in case... But, assuming it is fine and humidity is in check, I would keep it mostly closed. Allow enough for air changes in the basement.

No real risk of freezing and you don't spend much time down there. No reason to keep it as warm as the rest of the house.