Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Push It View Post
    Is there a specific reason you say they are not for T&B? On their site it says it is "For HVACR Pros Air Balancing Needs". Just wondering your opinion since you have one. I am interested in purchasing one.

How do you use yours for troubleshooting? Do you usually measure main trunk lines for total airflow to see if a duct system is moving correct system air? When would you warrant using a more accurate or suitable measurement tool?
    I use it for troubleshooting mainly. Its simple to use, and seems pretty accurate. For light commercial and residential main duct traverse is what I use it for.

When I say its not a Test and Balance instrument, I mean its not a replacement for a Shortridge or Alnor/TSI set up.

When I say Test and Balance - I mean official certified Test and Balance.

Certified T and B is expected to be repeatable, and have Traceable calibration reports for the instruments used.

This tool is a couple hundred buck
    A Shortridge is - a few thousand - obviously there is a reason for the price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I use it for troubleshooting mainly. Its simple to use, and seems pretty accurate. For light commercial and residential main duct traverse is what I use it for.

When I say its not a Test and Balance instrument, I mean its not a replacement for a Shortridge or Alnor/TSI set up.

When I say Test and Balance - I mean official certified Test and Balance.

Certified T and B is expected to be repeatable, and have Traceable calibration reports for the instruments used.

This tool is a couple hundred buck
    A Shortridge is - a few thousand - obviously there is a reason for the price difference.

Thank you. After your response and waiting Jim at TruTech Tools do an overview of it, it seems worth the money. My main purpose would be for checking airflow in residential systems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Push It View Post
    Thank you. After your response and waiting Jim at TruTech Tools do an overview of it, it seems worth the money. My main purpose would be for checking airflow in residential systems.
    Its definitely worth it. If it helps you find a problem one time, it will have paid for itself.

4. Likes icy78 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cook42 View Post
    I'm About To Purchase The Fieldpiece STA2 Anemometer And Wanted To Know You Guys Thoughts On This Test Instrument?
    cook42,

First, out of the chute, I do not own the STA2. But, I do have some information you may find useful: I bought the AAV3 anemometer for doing zone balancing and return size checking. I bought it new, from my local APR Supply...never used. Put it on my HG3, set it for CFM...and I'm off to the races. Well, not quite. I could not get two readings within 300 cfm of each other. I got other readings that were consistently, and ridiculously, low. So, back to APR only to find that I had to send it in myself ($8.00 postage) for warranty. The good part of the whole experience is my boss/friend/apprentice (it's complicated) loaned me his Testo 410i (essentially the Testo equivalent of my AAV3). It worked! If you do your part, with holding a consistent distance from the grill, and moving it at a consistent rate, it will provide you with consistent, repeatable, believable readings. So here is the relevant part...I liked the Testo 410i so much I bought it, and I also bought the 405i hot wire anemometer. It works great! Build quality, easy to use, straight forward app, no issues at all...accept for the range. I must keep my iPad relatively close so it doesn't lose contact. So, I can give you first-hand knowledge about the performance of the Testo equivalent...it works great. As for the AAV3...sold the new replacement I got from Fieldpiece. They really have to do something about their QC...it's slipping. Hope this helps.

LEO

Post Likes
    The STA2 is a hot wire anemometer. We tested it at the calibration facility with the Senior Engineer who had a Ph.D. and happened to be at the metrology lab certifying the venturi that day. Her readings with it were showing the STA2 had an accuracy +/- 2%. a pitot tube is just slightly more accurate in general but will give you more accurate measurements in the event that turbulance in the duct is causing airflow in oppisate directions. the hotwire sees air moving, not what direction its moving. a pitot will indicate direction of flow. That being said I keep the STA2 in my tool bag and use it frequentlly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LEO ASHRAE View Post
    cook42,

First, out of the chute, I do not own the STA2. But, I do have some information you may find useful: I bought the AAV3 anemometer for doing zone balancing and return size checking. I bought it new, from my local APR Supply...never used. Put it on my HG3, set it for CFM...and I'm off to the races. Well, not quite. I could not get two readings within 300 cfm of each other. I got other readings that were consistently, and ridiculously, low. So, back to APR only to find that I had to send it in myself ($8.00 postage) for warranty. The good part of the whole experience is my boss/friend/apprentice (it's complicated) loaned me his Testo 410i (essentially the Testo equivalent of my AAV3). It worked! If you do your part, with holding a consistent distance from the grill, and moving it at a consistent rate, it will provide you with consistent, repeatable, believable readings. So here is the relevant part...I liked the Testo 410i so much I bought it, and I also bought the 405i hot wire anemometer. It works great! Build quality, easy to use, straight forward app, no issues at all...accept for the range. I must keep my iPad relatively close so it doesn't lose contact. So, I can give you first-hand knowledge about the performance of the Testo equivalent...it works great. As for the AAV3...sold the new replacement I got from Fieldpiece. They really have to do something about their QC...it's slipping. Hope this helps.

LEO
    thank you

Post Likes
    I have one, school's out.

SDMN5 for SP should be in everyone's tool bag/box. Love it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12