Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Any Thoughts On The Fieldpiece STA2 Anemometer?

I'm About To Purchase The Fieldpiece STA2 Anemometer And Wanted To Know You Guys Thoughts On This Test Instrument?

Post Likes
    I'm not familiar with it. I usually bought only dedicated instruments because with T&B cert rules it was often required that an instrument only have one use so a Fieldpiece probably wouldn't qualify. It's not that I never broke that rule though. Wayne wrote that some of the rules have relaxed a bit.
    Are you looking for a troubleshooting tool or a T&B tool?
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I'm not familiar with it. I usually bought only dedicated instruments because with T&B cert rules it was often required that an instrument only have one use so a Fieldpiece probably wouldn't qualify. It's not that I never broke that rule though. Wayne wrote that some of the rules have relaxed a bit.
    Are you looking for a troubleshooting tool or a T&B tool?
    Well I Just Pick Up My Fieldpiece Have Not Tried It Yet But I Am Interested In Both Trouble Shooting & Testing & Balancing.

Post Likes
    I'm not familiar with Fieldpiece either. Did you have it calibrated? Until I had full confidence in pressure instruments and calibration quality I double checked with manometers and inclined manometers. The reason I did so is because I sent one company a perfectly good pressure gage and he returned it broken with a certificate of calibration.
    You need a good quality gage to balance or troubleshoot. Certified balance also has accuracy standards that have to be met.
    Having said that electronic pressure gage readings especially in the low ranges are seldom stable and there is usually a certain amount of guess involved anyway.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    i have no horse in this race Wayne, but a FP STA2 isn't an manometer....................
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    ch4man,
    What kind of instrument is it? I gave him generic advice but if you know the instrument he could use your advice. Nothing you tell him will upset me.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    not only are we all on the internet so a google search is easy, anemometer was in the OP's title.

http://www.fieldpiece.com/products/d...r/anemometers/
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    I looked at the instrument on the internet. I don't have any first hand experience with it. The inclined manometer will check the accuracy for pitot traverse use. Most balancers abandoned the hot wire when the electronic micro-anemometer came out. They are a lot more expensive but almost all balancers think they are a lot better.

Post Likes
    I have one and I like it. That said its a good tool for the average person to perform troubleshooting with. Its not a Test and Balance instrument.

For a service person, its a great tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I looked at the instrument on the internet. I don't have any first hand experience with it. The inclined manometer will check the accuracy for pitot traverse use. Most balancers abandoned the hot wire when the electronic micro-anemometer came out. They are a lot more expensive but almost all balancers think they are a lot better.
    Are these just very accurate vane anemometers? How do you testing and balancing guys use them? At the grill face? I have always been somewhat fascinated with T&B.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I have one and I like it. That said its a good tool for the average person to perform troubleshooting with. Its not a Test and Balance instrument.

For a service person, its a great tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there a specific reason you say they are not for T&B? On their site it says it is "For HVACR Pros Air Balancing Needs". Just wondering your opinion since you have one. I am interested in purchasing one.

How do you use yours for troubleshooting? Do you usually measure main trunk lines for total airflow to see if a duct system is moving correct system air? When would you warrant using a more accurate or suitable measurement tool?

Post Likes
    An inclined manometer is not a vane type instrument. It is a water or oil filled gage that has a scale mounted on an angle which allows reading small pressures increments such as velocity pressure. If properly used they are as accurate as you can get. The only instrument I would use on grilles or diffusers is the capture flow hood.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    An inclined manometer is not a vane type instrument. It is a water or oil filled gage that has a scale mounted on an angle which allows reading small pressures increments such as velocity pressure. If properly used they are as accurate as you can get. The only instrument I would use on grilles or diffusers is the capture flow hood.
    Yes I know what an inclined manometer is. I have used them before. I am asking what the "electronic micro-anemometer " are and how you use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast