Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes

Ventilation Using Ceiling Fans

As per my suggestions Nexa fan is option for ventilation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN20 View Post
    Greeting,

I am working on a project that I was asked to design the ventilation just using ceiling fans. The application is storage building. I can design the number of the fans based on the required cfm but I am wondering how we need to provide vents for exhaust air and window for fresh air. Do you guys have any experience with similar project?
    Is a Architect/ Engineer involved with this Project?

Are there "Approved Blue Prints"?

Is it going to be Inspected by Your Local/ State Building Department?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your Gods law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, I wasnt sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Unless the ceiling fan is "ducted " the only air change you will get will be natural ventilation which will vary with indoor and out door conditions, wind speed outside ETC...A ceiling fan in itself will not create an air change
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your Gods law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, I wasnt sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I have two louvered windows in the building for air intake and apparently, I would need to have vented exhaust fans for air exhaust since these big ceiling fans wont work as exhaust fans.
    What are you "Exhausting" from a "Storage Building"?

Post Likes
    This is a warehouse that will be used to store some salvaged steel material i.e. beams and so on.
    From Towers One & Two , & Building 7 at the World Trade Center?

Post Likes
    The Code-required ventilation is (2015 IMC Table 403.3.1.1) 0.06 CFM/SF, and you should compare with 4 to 6 ACH and use the larger. If there are toxic substances the requirement will be considerably higher. There is probably a requirement to heat the incoming air, tell me a nearby city and I'd be happy to check (I'll reread the thread, seem to remember SE TX, but not city).

You need to provide for that much intake and exhaust. Intake is normally low wall louver(s) w/ motorized dampers interlocked with the fan(s), whatever the Owner thinks is necessary to protect from theft (burglar bars, etc.) and sized for velocity low enough to avoid rainwater intake. The fan(s) should be mounted high (roof or wall). The intake(s) and exhaust(s) are located to provide cross-flow throughout.

BE VERY CAREFUL if there are gas-fired appliances in the building (EVEN SEALED COMBUSTION AKA DIRECT VENT) to avoid backdrafting. It may be necessary to use supply fan(s) instead of intake damper(s) to maintain neutral pressurization.

Forget the ceiling fans - They don't ventilate and if you arrange the ventilation properly here, there's no need for them.

Based on IMC, you're working on a 12+ acre building, congrats! 6 ACH, not so big, 5,000+ cubic feet.

Hate to say this, because I've been burned, but you could call a local manufacturers' rep firm for design assistance. I've used Greenheck and Penn (has a new name now) in the past. Good website info, too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ferd1942 View Post
    The Code-required ventilation is (2015 IMC Table 403.3.1.1) 0.06 CFM/SF, and you should compare with 4 to 6 ACH and use the larger. If there are toxic substances the requirement will be considerably higher. There is probably a requirement to heat the incoming air, tell me a nearby city and I'd be happy to check (I'll reread the thread, seem to remember SE TX, but not city).

You need to provide for that much intake and exhaust. Intake is normally low wall louver(s) w/ motorized dampers interlocked with the fan(s), whatever the Owner thinks is necessary to protect from theft (burglar bars, etc.) and sized for velocity low enough to avoid rainwater intake. The fan(s) should be mounted high (roof or wall). The intake(s) and exhaust(s) are located to provide cross-flow throughout.

BE VERY CAREFUL if there are gas-fired appliances in the building (EVEN SEALED COMBUSTION AKA DIRECT VENT) to avoid backdrafting. It may be necessary to use supply fan(s) instead of intake damper(s) to maintain neutral pressurization.

Forget the ceiling fans - They don't ventilate and if you arrange the ventilation properly here, there's no need for them.

Based on IMC, you're working on a 12+ acre building, congrats! 6 ACH, not so big, 5,000+ cubic feet.

Hate to say this, because I've been burned, but you could call a local manufacturers' rep firm for design assistance. I've used Greenheck and Penn (has a new name now) in the past. Good website info, too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123