Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Ventilation Using Ceiling Fans

Greeting,

I am working on a project that I was asked to design the ventilation just using ceiling fans. The application is storage building. I can design the number of the fans based on the required cfm but I am wondering how we need to provide vents for exhaust air and window for fresh air. Do you guys have any experience with similar project?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN20 View Post
    Greeting,

I am working on a project that I was asked to design the ventilation just using ceiling fans. The application is storage building. I can design the number of the fans based on the required cfm but I am wondering how we need to provide vents for exhaust air and window for fresh air. Do you guys have any experience with similar project?
    Location, heating, and cooling? How much ventilation or circulation?
    Looking forward.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    It is located in southeast TX. I am providing 32000 cfm ventilation using three ceiling fans. No cooling or heating requirement just ventilation.

Post Likes
    Does the design just want to move existing air around?
    Or has the owner/designer not considered this?
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    You could put a window fan or fans at one end of the building and exhaust fans at the other which will give you ventilation.
    With vents nothing will bring in fresh air unless it gets windy outside. Ceiling fans will indeed move the air around as said but that is not ventilation.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Does the design just want to move existing air around?
    Or has the owner/designer not considered this?
    The intention of these fans is to more than moving air around. The expectation is to do also air change. That is why I am asking to see if any one has done similar job.

Post Likes
    So you recommend to have additional fan(s) to push the air out. You are saying me to install fan(s) with 32000 cfm for ventilation? Therefore, what these big ass fans do would be moving air around, am I right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    You could put a window fan or fans at one end of the building and exhaust fans at the other which will give you ventilation.
    With vents nothing will bring in fresh air unless it gets windy outside. Ceiling fans will indeed move the air around as said but that is not ventilation.
    So you recommend to have additional fan(s) to push the air out. You are saying me to install fan(s) with 32000 cfm for ventilation? Therefore, what these big ass fans do would be moving air around, am I right?

9. Likes lkapigian liked this post
    Post Likes
    Unless the ceiling fan is "ducted " the only air change you will get will be natural ventilation which will vary with indoor and out door conditions, wind speed outside ETC...A ceiling fan in itself will not create an air change

11. Likes armandomartinez liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Unless the ceiling fan is "ducted " the only air change you will get will be natural ventilation which will vary with indoor and out door conditions, wind speed outside ETC...A ceiling fan in itself will not create an air change
    Thanks. Do you have sample of ducted ceiling fans?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN20 View Post
    Thanks. Do you have sample of ducted ceiling fans?
    There are none, it was an analogy...there are however plenty of fans, prop, forward curve , backward incline etc that will fit your bill. Start with your target ventilation needs/requirements

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    There are none, it was an analogy...there are however plenty of fans, prop, forward curve , backward incline etc that will fit your bill. Start with your target ventilation needs/requirements
    Lol. Sure, Thanks.

Post Likes
    There is no such thing as ventilation using only ceiling fans. Ventilation by nature is exchanging the air within the space.
    What's the engineer call for building air exchange?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast