Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    We use to have a Trane tech guy that was pretty good and gave a lot of good info. As he got older the info/advise slowed. Just before he retired it was always "well use your own best judgment". Like if I wanted to use my own judgement what was the purpose of calling him.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post

The grumpy old man that used to do tech support for Carrier in my area was my spirit animal.

Grumpy old man: "What is your SH, SC"
    Clueless tech: "The SH and SC are good."
    Grumpy old man: "Good isn't a number" *click*
    Clueless tech: "WTF?"

I used to wonder why that old man was so grumpy and mean.
    I've since come to understand, and realize he is what I'm becoming, and I only have to answer stupid questions from 2 guys!
    Was that Bobby Cates?

Post Likes
    Some automotive 134a does have dye mixed in. Only difference is the connections at the tanks. I'm sure that was another way to make more money.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    Was that Bobby Cates?
    I don't remember his name, this was from back when Carrier Bock was the Carrier distributor.

Post Likes
    Just a wild guess but, if I called someone an idiot, I think I'd be looking for a job. I have to give guidance to the DIYer's, since we do sell to the general public. I have to use my best judgement and know when to stop. Sometimes its funny, sometimes frustrating. I find it much easier and less frustrating when I talk to techs even if I have to wait for them to check the voltage and amp draw because they failed to do so before calling in.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    We had a place like that in Columbus. I called and told them my electric heat would not come on and he told me it was probably a sequencer :-)

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    our Trane guy wants info precollected, as well.

One of the installers started to ask me a question one morning, and the mechanic standing next to him said, he's going to tell you to read the manual on that one.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    had to do a phone call w/Goodman rep over a quality pledge, rediag bad comp.

He wanted me to replace the run cap. I asked him, how would a new run cap make a compressor not have an acid burnout?
    He got pretty annoyed w/that. I felt sorry for him then, since he probably had to do that due to so many good comps being condemned
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    "When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds." - Will Rogers
    I wonder if he is a voter...scary thought.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

10. Likes davenezz liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post

He wanted me to replace the run cap. I asked him, how would a new run cap make a compressor not have an acid burnout?
    He got pretty annoyed w/that. I felt sorry for him then, since he probably had to do that due to so many good comps being condemned
    As an old timer, I cut my teeth on 3 phase AC compressors. I remember learning the lesson on run capacitors when the replacement single phase compressor exhibited the same fault as the "bad" compressor. In certain rural locations, where only single phase power was available, we installed a "Phase Converter" which effectively turned one winding into a "start winding". (It was a bank of run capacitors, a start capacitor and a potential start relay.)
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post

Different manufacturers have different policies in regards to warranty, especially when it comes to compressor replacement. I know True requires a tech to call and unless the compressor is grounded, they will ship out a start pack before replacing the compressor. My personal opinion, at least for refrigeration equipment, is the manufacturer should require a proof of a maintenance program that includes coil cleaning for any warranty claims after the first year.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Different manufacturers have different policies in regards to warranty, especially when it comes to compressor replacement. I know True requires a tech to call and unless the compressor is grounded, they will ship out a start pack before replacing the compressor. My personal opinion, at least for refrigeration equipment, is the manufacturer should require a proof of a maintenance program that includes coil cleaning for any warranty claims after the first year.
    Per the Lennox Warranty Info Page:

After I have registered, do I have to use the installing dealer in order to maintain the manufacturer's warranty?

The new Lennox unit must be properly installed, operated and maintained by a licensed professional installer (or equivalent), or by a service agency in accordance with the unit installation, operation and maintenance instructions provided with each Lennox unit. Failure to provide maintenance per Lennox instructions will void the warranty. You may be asked to provide written documentation of annual and other periodic preventive maintenance.
    It's also in the warranty certificates. I wish they'd start enforcing this stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Per the Lennox Warranty Info Page:

It's also in the warranty certificates. I wish they'd start enforcing this stuff.
    Just guessing...
    When we get into a full blown high flying economy...
    And there are not enough techs, parts, equipment, etc to go around...
    They may well start making folks accountable.

IMO as long as there are folks to sell by kissing up through warranties...
    Well that will be a sales tactic...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast