Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Likes
    My year old Redwings clearly say Made in the USA... With imported materials.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raptyr View Post
    I have had a lot of meters over the years, hand me downs, but when i finally got the chance to choose my own stuff and the company paid, then i went to Fluke, 2 x 289's, 1 x fluke 435, 1 x fluke 345, 1 x fluke 190-204, 1 x fluke 381, 3 x fluke i1010 clamps, fluke 54B thermometer, numerous fluke cables , I know it is robust reliable, circuits are well built and menus are easy to use , had them years now, been carted all over the globe , never really let me down, some made in USA, some in Netherlands, some in Thailand, some from China . Pity about all this made in china stuff but that's down to CEO's taking shortcuts to get fat bonuses then moving on before it catches up with them, but , what goes around comes around so keep your skill and knowledge levels up and eventually it will come back in to the local communities, I hope. Stopped buying Redwing boots cos they weren't from USA anymore, has Snap-On gone the same way too?
    Thats a nice list of meters there.

I can see why you waiting for the company to buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM
    The part about CE rating is interesting , but this is why i use Fluke

Post Likes
    Built for technicians!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wpruden View Post
    Well said!!!
    The engineer at fluke said "we need to sell meters" that explains why fluke is globally made but their best units are still USA made.
    Many technicians here is America are unaware about about low budget flukes, they see fluke and think it's elite. That was true years ago but fluke makes flukes for all budgets. Again they are pushing meters to sell, but still produce their elite lifetime warranty units here in the USA. Techs refuse to pay for those units and become disgruntled when it fails prematurely and blame fluke.
    Fluke hasn't changed just expanded their market from technicians/engineers to homeowners.
    Fluke told me technicians should be using 28, 80, 170, 289 series dmm as they hold their accuracy/ build over the years plus a lifetime warranty.
    The 114,115,113, HVAC 116 are budget meters as per fluke stated to me with a 3 year warranty only!
    I ask fluke about the why the 116 HVAC meter only had a 3 year warranty that's when he told me it's a budget meter and we need to sell meters and that technicians should be using the 28, 80, 170 and 289 series dmm.

Again well said!!!
    If they made the HVAC meter state side and billed more, they would sell just as many or more.

The problem I have with the first list is that none of them are geared for general hvac work. The 87-V is the closest and I have one of those. But I dont like a bulky meter, and as such I have not used it in many-many years.

I wish they still made the 16. Small, reliable, idiot proof, does everything I need on a daily basis. Its been my go to for over a decade.

I carry 2 small meters in the bag. The 16 and the T5-1000

The T5 for amps and the 16 for everything else.

In the van I keep all the other ones and a remote style amp clamp when the T5 wont cut it.

The main reason they are loosing marketshare to Fieldpiece for example, is because fieldpiece is gearing specific for general HVAC. I have not had any issues with fluke other then the type k adaptors they provide with some meters - pure junk.

I only use Fluke currently. But can see why alot of resi/light commercial guys are looking elsewhere.

I personally will pay more for USA made if it also is good and suits my needs.

I wont buy a USA meter just cause its USA if it does not have the features I require.

Post Likes
    It's not just about the meters, the most important tool is in your head, that needs protecting more than the tool in your hand. My first real troubleshooting battle with a high end meter was with a Fluke 434, York YK VSD tripping on low dc buss, the fluke didn;t give me the solution to the problem, what it told me was that the DC buss was fine up to the millisecond that the unit shut down, so i switched my focus from looking at the DC Buss caps, boards etc to what might switch off the dc buss, found a $5 dollar relay with poor contacts and it was dropping out intermittently, the York Optiview was reporting Low DC Buss but that was because the $5 relay was just dropping out and switching the DC Buss off. So I learn't then that the meters don't always tell you whats wrong , they sometimes tell you what's right so you can start to look elsewhere.

Post Likes
    I agree with that as well!!!
    The 87v is too big for HVAC!!
    This is the reason of competive meters by Fieldpiece, UEI may not have fluke build quality but are lighter and have all the features.
    I currently have a UEI clamp dl479 and it has everything for HVAC!

Post Likes
    Excellent words of wisdom!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raptyr View Post
    I was nearly killed twice using 'other meters' first time was checking some fuses on ohms while the guy stood and watched, fuses checked out ok so i switched his meter to volts to check 3 phase, all dead, according to the meter, put my hand on the Buss bar, got a right belt, Trane CVAC starter, then the guy who had been watching the whole time told me'oh it doesn't work on volts, just ohms!! His meter was some cheap thing, 2nd time i had done the usual mistake we all make, checking some resistances on Ohms, forgot to switch meter and went to check voltage, blew the meter out of my hand, his protection fuse had blown and he replaced it with silver foil from cigarette packet. My flukes just beep at me if i forget to switch, but always use my own meters now and I trust them. There are videos on Youtube about what cheap meters do compared to Flukes when you get things wrong.
    Did you smash the meter over the SOBs head after he watched you nearly kill yourself? I mean at the least you stomped the meter after you regained your senses???

Honestly I dont know what I would do if that happened to me but Im not sure it may end bad for someone.

I bought a 116 12 years ago and it still works as the day it was bought. It is my everyday meter. If/when it dies Ill be in the market for another fluke.

10. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wpruden View Post
    I agree with that as well!!!
    The 87v is too big for HVAC!!
    This is the reason of competive meters by Fieldpiece, UEI may not have fluke build quality but are lighter and have all the features.
    I currently have a UEI clamp dl479 and it has everything for HVAC!
    There is a pic of my 87V next to a Fieldpiece clamp somewhere. The Fieldpiece was giant next to my Fluke. Made a big difference in the tool bag.
    UEi I used to get. They didn't hold up more than a year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Just bought a Fluke 324 plus , and out the box the Degrees are off by 20 deg

Wrote them a few times asking for them to calibrate it (theres no way to call them) and they never wrote back

They can kiss my ass , never another
    I had a similar issue with my 324, 12 degrees off at any time-- basically a useless feature on the meter. Still used it for basic electrical testing for a year but moved on to other manufacturers and haven't looked back. Felt cheated- particularly for the premium you pay for the name on the front.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    There is a pic of my 87V next to a Fieldpiece clamp somewhere. The Fieldpiece was giant next to my Fluke. Made a big difference in the tool bag.
    UEi I used to get. They didn't hold up more than a year.
    I remember that pic. I think the Fieldpiece was a SC640, which I have and love. I didnt realize how big it actually was until you posted that pic. It certainly is a behemoth!

Post Likes
    I bought a fluke 3** something. Don't have it in front of me now. I got a really good price on it at the p\s. The best thing, I got a vol-con by ideal for free with it. Fluke was like brand new, vol-con was a little worn, both for 150.00.
    The thing I didn't know about the fluke, is it only goes down to 10mfd. I'm 99% hvac resi. That really sucks. I just use the company Fieldpiece sc76. If I want to see peak amps on startup, I get out the Fieldpiece. Other than that, it stays in the truck.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
    "If you cant describe what you are doing as a process, you dont know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast