+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New clamp meter suggestions?

Post Likes
    Meters that cover 100% of what you want are out there. A few are (in no particular order)
    * Klein CL450 it does it all, even has meg ohm range, I can't think of any feature it does not have. Some may not consider Klein a premioum meter, but I've used the CL450 for quite a while and no complaints, has LoZ and low pass too, plus it does micro amps, inrush, temp that can be calibrated and a whole lot more.One feature I love on the Klein is you turn the backlight on and you turn it off, no timeout, you decide when you're done with it.

*Fieldpiece SC440, This is a fine meter and again, leaves nothing out, meg ohms, inrush, microamps, nothing is forgotten and they are very reliable

*Fieldpiece SC480. This one adds to the functionality of the 440 adding active power, pf, apparent power., reactive power. No complaints here and it's a 10000 count meter. One neat feature is the 5 minute backlight timeout, it's long enough to get the job done right.

Fieldpiece makes some other meters that do it all, swivel meters etc. and I would expect them to be as good as the two I have.

I'm a meter whore, as my father was an electrician and my brother is an electrician, so we grew up with "meter envy". So, I have to admit, I have four meters, the two FP meters and one Klein, but my all time favorite meter is the Amprobe ACD-51-NAV, it is fast, has some really neat features, but it only does 100K ohms, which is fine by me. It will also not measure millivolts for thermocouples which is fine too, but I love how well this meter works. If it had a few more features it would be my only meter.

I've tried them all from Fluke to UEI and these four are the ones I keep. I do keep thinking I'll get rid of one or two, but then I just can't bring myself to do it. Different meters for different situations.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=channellxbob;25946036]Meters that cover 100% of what you want are out there. A few are (in no particular order)
    * Klein CL450 it does it all, even has meg ohm range, I can't think of any feature it does not have. Some may not consider Klein a premioum meter, but I've used the CL450 for quite a while and no complaints, has LoZ and low pass too, plus it does micro amps, inrush, temp that can be calibrated and a whole lot more.One feature I love on the Klein is you turn the backlight on and you turn it off, no timeout, you decide when you're done with it.

Personally, I would stay away from Klein Clamp meters.
    Klein is becoming like Extech , they will rebadge anything when it comes to meters.
    They have put out like 25 clamps in the last 6-7 years. Not one meter stays in production longer than 3-4 years.
    I wonder why? All Chinese crap.

Post Likes
    I would agree with you on all but two Klein meters, the CL450 and the MM6000 multimeter. Both are very good meters, although I have less experience with the MM6000. I can say that several guys I know have the CL450, that's how I got to know about them, and they work great. They are a real sleeper in a decidedly crappy line. I actually borrowed one to use before buying one, that's how leery I am of Klein meters. I used and abused it unmercifully as it was in rough looking shape when I got hold of it and the owner told me to use the crap out of it, because he was buying a new one with his tool allowance that he couldn't think of anything else he needed just then. So I did as he ask. After months of daily beatings it was going strong and still is today, probably 2 to 2-1/2 years later. There's not another clamp meter in the Klein line that I would use (unless someone comes up with another sleeper), but the CL450 is a totally different animal. If you look at the line of meters, you can see the similar design of the real cheapies, then the UEI clones and then the very high end CL450, they are totally different meters. There is a meter that looks like the CL450 without the temp and probably other features, but I know nothing of it's quality, as I've never seen one in the flesh.
    I'm not saying it's the best out there, certainly not, but it's darn good and I wouldn't write it off.

Post Likes
    I have the Fluke 902 FC and you're right, I rarely use the wireless functionality on it, but it is still a great meter. I also carry a Fieldpiece HS36, and it seems to be just as reliable, except for the fact that the alert sound on it while checking continuity went away a few months ago.

Post Likes
    I like the Fluke. It covers everything and is durable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jconaway53 View Post
    ...and it seems to be just as reliable, except for the fact that the alert sound on it while checking continuity went away a few months ago.
    I’m not convinced you can continue to say that it is “just as reliable” at this point... something about this just doesn’t sound reliable to me...
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in